• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What happened to Florsheim?

john parker

Reaction score
I have had a pair of Florsheim balmorals for about 20 years, and recently dug them out of the closet to wear again. And, following a cobbler's touch-up, they look pretty good.
Went with my wife today to a store that carries Florsheim, and was not enthused with the offerings from them now. Admittedly the store did not have the model I was interested in, but did have something close - another balmoral. But the leather looks, well, cheap; almost artificial. Did read the article on the search engine about Florsheim's resurrection from 2002, but it looks like the patient died again. Wanted a decent pair of dress shoes to wear a couple times a month, but don't think that they will be these. Probably just stick to the old pair I have. Is their Imperial line better? Is there a nicer alternative in a similarly priced shoe?

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by john parker
I have had a pair of Florsheim balmorals for about 20 years, and recently dug them out of the closet to wear again. And, following a cobbler's touch-up, they look pretty good.
Went with my wife today to a store that carries Florsheim, and was not enthused with the offerings from them now. Admittedly the store did not have the model I was interested in, but did have something close - another balmoral. But the leather looks, well, cheap; almost artificial. Did read the article on the search engine about Florsheim's resurrection from 2002, but it looks like the patient died again. Wanted a decent pair of dress shoes to wear a couple times a month, but don't think that they will be these. Probably just stick to the old pair I have. Is their Imperial line better? Is there a nicer alternative in a similarly priced shoe?

I feel your pain. If you perform a search here and in Askandyaboutclothes.com forum you'll find many informative posts and threads written by very experienced members regarding the worship and demise of that once fine brand. I've contributed to some of them. Heres to great reading.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What happened?

The free market happened.

Try Allen Edmonds if you miss the old Florsheim so much. Quickly too before AE outsources overseas too.

Frank Rizzo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by john parker

Johnston & Murphy or Allen Edmonds are both good and similar in price. Cole Haan might be an option too, but I don't know enough about them.

paper clip

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo
Johnston & Murphy or Allen Edmonds are both good and similar in price. Cole Haan might be an option too, but I don't know enough about them.

Florsheim are made in India now. They say they are maintaining quality, esp. with their Kenmoor line ('high-end' plain toe blucher and classic long-wing), but I would not pay $175-$225 for made in India shoes.

J&M is 99% non-USA made. They have high end Crown Aristocraft dress shoes that are USA made - $400 or so.

Cole Haan is 99% non-USA made and are most often causal pinch penny loafers and "dress" shoes with atletic shoe "air" heels. They have some $500 made in england models.

AE is still 99% USA made with the exception of some recent "sleeker" models which are made in Italy. AEs cost $300 or so new, but can easily be found new on ebay for $100 to $150. You can also call any AE outlet and buy 2ds for $150 - $175 or so.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo

Cole Haan is all over the board in terms of quality since Nike took them over.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's almost impossible to make shoes at any volume in the USA anymore...the infrastructure is gone. There was an article in the WSJ a few months ago. The few survivors have taken many more production processes in-house because they can't find or depend on domestic suppliers.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
It's almost impossible to make shoes at any volume in the USA anymore...the infrastructure is gone.

There was an article in the WSJ a few months ago.

The few survivors have taken many more production processes in-house because they can't find or depend on domestic suppliers.

2.4 billion shoes sold and almost no local US industry? The Government got something wrong here.....

khaki sack

Reaction score
Have you been smoking the ,kabazzah?

Originally Posted by lee_44106
What happened?

The free market happened.

Try Allen Edmonds if you miss the old Florsheim so much. Quickly too before AE outsources overseas too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads