• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Do You Think Of The Smartest Man In The World?

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score
Also, consider that an overall IQ score is an accumulative made up of sections and subsections. There are cognitive skills that most of us wouldn't consider intellectual skills in any immediate way, but when combined with other skills/deficiencies and an individual's will can make for great things. If one had savant-like executive capabilities and nothing else, they'd be really good at taking driving directions and making a spinach souffle. If they've got an interest in chess and some great reasoning skills, they might be the next chess master. Horrifyingly simplistic, but you get the idea. Keep in mind some people are brilliant because they can't do things most normal people CAN do. Take high functioning autistics(or people with aspergers) and there is even the occasional schizophrenic that makes a grand contribution to humanity.

That said, I don't understand why people with high IQs should be obligated to make some contribution to the rest of us or academia or the sciences or what have you, an argument I think I've read here a few times. I mean shouldn't they be allowed to do whatever it is they want to do and can do? Like the rest of us?

kwiteaboy

Reaction score

It isn't. I remember reading/hearing about this set of brilliant kids with genius IQs that were monitored over the course of their life by an academic type. A lot of them ended up having fairly average lives with fairly average incomes. I can't remember the exact particulars, but I know it was mentioned in a Malcolm Gladwell book(Outliers to be exact), if you want to investigate.

Terman's longitudinal study of gifted children/adults found that the majority of the participants in the study ended up with above average incomes and accomplishment in their careers. However, they didn't necessarily become eminent, to his reported chagrin.

IQ tests measure something that is reliable and predictive of academic success (i.e., valid). It's not all of intelligence, but to say that they aren't measuring anything is ridiculous.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

Terman's longitudinal study of gifted children/adults found that the majority of the participants in the study ended up with above average incomes and accomplishment in their careers. However, they didn't necessarily become eminent, to his reported chagrin.

IQ tests measure something that is reliable and predictive of academic success (i.e., valid). It's not all of intelligence, but to say that they aren't measuring anything is ridiculous.

Ah, the memory is a'goin. Also, I agree with the last bit.

Last edited:

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Success is a mixture of genius, hard work and just sometimes, plain good luck. It isn't surprising that out of a handful of very intelligent children very few managed to achieve what Terman would constitute 'success.' I think in this instance Edison's assertion that genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration (and also a smattering of stealing other peoples' ideas and dogged character assassination of rivals) is highly relevant.

hoozah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe terence tao is the smartest man in the world. Not a lot of people in the academic world like langan. He has a big ego moreso than a big iq. Not to mention his theory on everything is rather dumb. Another genius is gregorie perel'man. He is the only man to solve a millenium problem and he turned down 1000000 dollars and a fields medal.

Daseinflaw

Reaction score

I believe terence tao is the smartest man in the world. Not a lot of people in the academic world like langan. He has a big ego moreso than a big iq. Not to mention his theory on everything is rather dumb. Another genius is gregorie perel'man. He is the only man to solve a millenium problem and he turned down 1000000 dollars and a fields medal.

Yeah, I agree that if the honor of "smartest man" needs to be bestowed on someone, Tao and Perelman are good contenders.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

Success is a mixture of genius, hard work and just sometimes, plain good luck. It isn't surprising that out of a handful of very intelligent children very few managed to achieve what Terman would constitute 'success.' I think in this instance Edison's assertion that genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration (and also a smattering of stealing other peoples' ideas and dogged character assassination of rivals) is highly relevant.

Highly successful and unsuccessful people often hold this view and it's aggrandizing/disparaging and reductionistic. Success and failure do not occur in vacuums. They are contingent on a number of variables relative to one's environment. Do I agree that provided the same opportunities the hard worker will beat those who work less? Absolutely. But they are both dependent on avenues of success.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you only need to be smart to a certain range. there is more to life than just being intelligent.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

you only need to be smart to a certain range. there is more to life than just being intelligent.

I completely agree. There are diminishing returns for any good quality and sky high intelligence, while something to be cherished if you are blessed with it, should not be everything there is to know about a person. I would hire the kid who was smart, but no genius, who will stay back after hours to complete a project over the genius who alienates his coworkers with his arrogance (I've seen enough of the later).

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My neighbor works at the Lawrence Livermore Labs with a number of the smartest people in the US. He has funny stories about how they are brilliant at working on amazing complex problems yet can hardly function in everyday life. He calls them the "Livermorons". :)

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I can't say I feel envy for any of these guys. Living with my comparatively puny intelligence is like living in a snug, cozy cottage rather than a huge bewildering mansion.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My neighbor works at the Lawrence Livermore Labs with a number of the smartest people in the US. He has funny stories about how they are brilliant at working on amazing complex problems yet can hardly function in everyday life. He calls them the "Livermorons". :)

I have heard and read so many similar stories that there must be a correlation. My friend's father has his Ph.d. all right, but he's the most clumsy fellow I've heard of.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

Yeah, I can't say I feel envy for any of these guys. Living with my comparatively puny intelligence is like living in a snug, cozy cottage rather than a huge bewildering mansion.

You know, you should give yourself a bit more credit. You're one of the few people I read on here and think "Hey! This guy's not full of ****."

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"People who boast about their I.Q. are losers."

-Stephen Hawking

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads