• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think is the coolest car ever?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Yeah, balls would be cooler, and people would not longer have a need to learn 3-point turns.

Jon.

Balls are so 20th century. That's of them flying machines.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
I have flying balls...oh wait we're talking about cars.

If your balls are flying, you should probably get off the drugs.
tounge.gif

Jon.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.worldcarfans.com/classics...ml/country/gcf
Gwing.jpg
Photo caption: Party of three in the SL 1957. From left to right: Pablo Picasso, his second wife Jacqueline and David Douglas Duncan at the wheel of his Gullwing. A photographic icon that went around the world. David Douglas Duncan clocked up 450,000 kilometers driving his "Black Torpedo" 300 SL
The Mercedes-Benz 300 SL "Gullwing" is a legend. Even 50 years after its debut the car has lost none of its magnetic appeal and every 300 SL has written its own story. But one or two Gullwings have unusual tales to tell - such as that of the 300 SL owned by photojournalist David Douglas Duncan. Having enjoyed a close friendship with Pablo Picasso, Duncan eventually left the sports coupe to his son Claude Picasso in 1996. The special exhibition "Adventures of a Gullwing" at the Mercedes-Benz Museum documents the adventures of the black 300 SL coupe owned by the celebrated and award-winning American photojournalist David Douglas Duncan, who was born in Kansas City in 1916. Duncan took delivery of the car himself in Stuttgart in 1956. His passion for the Gullwing had been sparked the previous year in the streets of Sindelfingen where he photographed the 300 SL - or rather its "spirit", as the famous images show only the blurred streaks of a fast-moving car. Then in 1956 he shot pictures of the 300 SL roadster prototype during an impressive test drive in the Alps. Duncan used his 300 SL every day, clocking up 450,000 kilometers in 40 years. In 1959 he drove from the south of France to Moscow, where outside the Kremlin the car became an object of fascination even for the Politburo. On his return to Cannes he shared Russian caviar with his friend Pablo Picasso, whom he chauffeured around and photographed in his 300 SL on several occasions. A photo-reportage in Holland in 1976 on the making of the film "A Bridge Too Far" led to high drama of a different kind. Duncan's "Black Torpedo" was stolen in Haarlem and disappeared without trace for several weeks. The first signs of hope for its recovery came only when contact was made with the Mafia. Five weeks later Duncan was able to reclaim his car on the Dutch-Belgian border, having paid a "finder's reward" of 12,000 Swiss francs. The SL was returned cleaned and with a full tank. Even Duncan's trenchcoat had been washed, ironed and placed on the rear shelf. In 1996 Duncan left his venerable 300 SL coupe to Picasso's son Claude, a car enthusiast, so that it might remain "in the family". Claude Picasso continues to make regular use of the "Black Torpedo", appearing at events such as the Mille Miglia.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
I've thought this was the coolest car ever when I heard about it a few months back, but I was just reminded when I watched Sunday's new Top Gear. It's the platform of Subaru's R2, with the guts of a Prodrive tuned STi. And it could be built and sold for about 70,000 USD or so. Unfortunately, only test cars will be built. But the car exists!
Found the episode. Spectacular. http://youtube.com/watch?v=cCkHy290u...r%20hypnotized

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Millerp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
What do you think is the coolest car ever? Regardless if you have seen it in real life or only in pictures / video. Post pics if possible.

Jon.

You just can't beat the 57 Chevy for "Cool"

chevmcq8qd.jpg

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I remember this episode. Man, I hate teasers. Prodrive should become an official aftermarket tuner for Subaru, sort of like Alpina to BMW.

They kind of are.. go to www.prodrive.com, click on products, and see all the Subaru stuff they have designed. Also, Prodrive has released special editions Imprezas for years.. although, only in the UK, where Prodrive is based.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads