• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you guys think of chauffer caps?

AppAdrian

Reaction score
Hi guys I am new to this forum. I've found this hat that I think would look great on me.

http://www.christys-hats.com/Chauffeur-Caps-with-rope-straps-p/csk100021.htm

As this hat looks very similar to a police peaked cap. I'm not sure if it's illegal. I don't want to impersonate a police officer. If i do plan on buying this hat I plan to wear it with jeans and open collar dress shirts. Thanks and I hope you guys would educate me on hat etiquette =D.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Why would you want to look like a chauffeur? I'm afraid I don't see the appeal. Is it a cool enough hat, in a vacuum? I suppose. But it would be silly, and if you want a silly hat I don't think you can beat a fez, or perhaps a lampshade.

Also bumping after eight minutes isn't really done here.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

if you want a silly hat I don't think you can beat a fez
Au contraire, the beanie copter hat trumps the fez.

Last edited:

AppAdrian

Reaction score
I don't see what's so silly about them. I personally don't fedora type of hats. And that was a pretty rude comment to be honest.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see what's so silly about them. I personally don't fedora type of hats. And that was a pretty rude comment to be honest.

Somebody on the internet thinks ever single thing I like or want to do is silly, and a reasonable number of people in real life do too. I don't usually let it stop me. I mean, wear what you like, but if you ask for feedback on something you have to be prepared for harsh feedback. Similarly, of course, those who would give harsh feedback should at least try to be helpful, and to have a sense of humor. I realize that may not have come through, and if I didn't strike that balance, I apologize, but don't retract the core of my statement.

Anyway, you're going to be getting very square, very traditional advice on this side of the forum. The SWD side probably doesn't really go in for chauffeur caps, either. I think, if you're sold on the "statement hat" thing, you may get useful feedback on your idea over on the Fedora Lounge, where the idea that a bold, attention-getting hat is a good idea is a firmly-entrenched belief. I think most of the folks on this board will try to dissuade you from wearing a hat that will attract a lot of attention, unless everything else you're wearing is equally bold, and stylistically in keeping with the hat.

I don't think it's a great idea for me, a total layman, to stake a claim on whether something obscure is or isn't illegal, and given that the information you're looking for could potentially differ from area to area, you may want to look into it on your own. Probably your area's legal resources are a much better source than SF.

AppAdrian

Reaction score
Somebody on the internet thinks ever single thing I like or want to do is silly, and a reasonable number of people in real life do too. I don't usually let it stop me. I mean, wear what you like, but if you ask for feedback on something you have to be prepared for harsh feedback. Similarly, of course, those who would give harsh feedback should at least try to be helpful, and to have a sense of humor. I realize that may not have come through, and if I didn't strike that balance, I apologize, but don't retract the core of my statement.

Anyway, you're going to be getting very square, very traditional advice on this side of the forum. The SWD side probably doesn't really go in for chauffeur caps, either. I think, if you're sold on the "statement hat" thing, you may get useful feedback on your idea over on the Fedora Lounge, where the idea that a bold, attention-getting hat is a good idea is a firmly-entrenched belief. I think most of the folks on this board will try to dissuade you from wearing a hat that will attract a lot of attention, unless everything else you're wearing is equally bold, and stylistically in keeping with the hat.

I don't think it's a great idea for me, a total layman, to stake a claim on whether something obscure is or isn't illegal, and given that the information you're looking for could potentially differ from area to area, you may want to look into it on your own. Probably your area's legal resources are a much better source than SF.
I accept your apology and I guess i will check the Fedora Lounge also. And yes I am making a fashion statement. I really think this hat looks pretty cool.

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi guys I am new to this forum. I've found this hat that I think would look great on me.

As this hat looks very similar to a police peaked cap. I'm not sure if it's illegal. I don't want to impersonate a police officer. If i do plan on buying this hat I plan to wear it with jeans and open collar dress shirts. Thanks and I hope you guys would educate me on hat etiquette =D.

Your avatar is Sergei Rachmaninoff, who was very well-dressed.
What is the significance, if any?

AppAdrian

Reaction score
The reason why I like this specific hat because it hides the imperfections of my upper head, makes me look taller, and it makes my face look more symmetrical (which is a good thing). As for significance with Sergei, There is a photo of him wearing a similar type of hat.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It does resemble some Police peaked caps:

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/media...b33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/o/police_cap1.jpg

However, do you think that actual chauffers driving Rollses and Daimlers in the UK and elsewhere were booked for impersonating
police officers? Nor were they confused with a members of the Village People:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_A0JrrX4J1...AACFY/QCFG47p1UQ4/s320/VillagePeopleBiker.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads