• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Do People Do Instead of Drinking?

jenlain

Reaction score
I went through this process after my last breakup (gf had some drinking issues and I almost got caught up in it). I decided to challenge myself to learn a new skill or find a new way to improve myself every 6 weeks. So far I have gone through the insanity workout program (3x), am teaching myself guitar, have begun auto racing, learning woodworking, have traveled to new countries, am reading a ton, and have cut out all television.

Get busy doing the things you want to do and the right people who are supportive will surround you.

45elkton

Reaction score
I still don't really understand his reasoning. Are there deeper lying issues about why you don't want to drink and you are mentally justifying it by this getting in shape thing?

As i see it, develop some self-control. If you like drinking and bars, do it. You don't have to get sloppy. If I have a lot to do the next day or want to make sure I'm not being foolish in front of a certain audience I'll nurse a couple bourbon on the rocks and sneak in the occasional water. Avoid drunk eating or at least try to moderate the damage by eating healthier things. I'm willing to spend a couple extra hours in the exercising per week to enable my social life.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I live in Milwaukee and it seems that everyone here just goes out and drinks on the weekends for fun. I'm considering going sober for a few weeks, if not indefinitely, to save money, help meet some fitness goals and generally stop making an ass out of myself.

But what in the hell do people do that don't drink? Like on Friday/Saturday nights I feel like going out and being social, and meeting new people and whatnot so the only option seems to be going to bars.

I think I asked this question elsewhere on the forum and got answers like "go to a movie" or "see a concert/show/blahblahblah" and that ****'s always over at like 10. I don't want to just go home and go to bed, **** that.

In this city that's very much the only thing to do after about 11, apart from go home, watch TV, browse SF and go to bed. Everything else closes apart from the brothels, and maybe the odd KTV(a load of drunken ******** trying to sing Lady Gaga songs can be painful, believe me). Suits me fine because I absolutely detest nightclubs and discothèques, although there non in Xilinhot. It's almost like there is a curfew on the place after about 11, almost no cars or people on the streets, very much everything is closed and dark.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Leave Milwaukee! Move. Go somewhere where there is a little deeper pool of culture.
"What's Made Milwaukee Famous (Has Made a Loser Out of Me)"

thisisntbic

Reaction score
If you are looking for something to do besides go to the bar, then all these activities already mentioned are a good idea... If you are looking for something to replace alcohol so you don't take in all those empty calories, then:

1. Phenibut is a decent alternative. Similar buzz, lasts a long time, and cheap to obtain (also completely legal). It also has a great synergy with alcohol, just watch out, you can easily take it too far, trust me. Tastes horrible as well.

2. Try some herbal stuff like Nosu3 suggested .If you are looking for a weed like high, look into herbal incense, though this falls somewhat into my next suggestion.

3a. Switch to other drugs.
3b. Look into research chemicals. They are fairly cheap, fairly easy to obtain, but in a grey area legally area right now (there is currently legislation proposed to ban them) and I believe it is illegal to purposefully consume them, though it is not illegal to posses them. There are tons of different chemicals all similar to currently scheduled drugs. I do not condone the use of these and definitely do not condone the use of scheduled drugs, just giving you another option.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you are looking for something to do besides go to the bar, then all these activities already mentioned are a good idea... If you are looking for something to replace alcohol so you don't take in all those empty calories, then:

1. Phenibut is a decent alternative. Similar buzz, lasts a long time, and cheap to obtain (also completely legal). It also has a great synergy with alcohol, just watch out, you can easily take it too far, trust me. Tastes horrible as well.

2. Try some herbal stuff like Nosu3 suggested .If you are looking for a weed like high, look into herbal incense, though this falls somewhat into my next suggestion.

3a. Switch to other drugs.
3b. Look into research chemicals. They are fairly cheap, fairly easy to obtain, but in a grey area legally area right now (there is currently legislation proposed to ban them) and I believe it is illegal to purposefully consume them, though it is not illegal to posses them. There are tons of different chemicals all similar to currently scheduled drugs. I do not condone the use of these and definitely do not condone the use of scheduled drugs, just giving you another option.

Pardon you but I would not suggest anything similar to a weed high. The herbs I suggested do not impair the mind. Everything you suggested is terrible and of bad class. "Trying other drugs" defeats the purpose of staying sober.

thisisntbic

Reaction score
*I apologize if this is hijacking the thread, I won't do it again (hopefully :D).

Pardon you but I would not suggest anything similar to a weed high.

I know, which is precisely why I did.

The herbs I suggested do not impair the mind.

I understand your position, and I respectfully disagree. I agree that the herbs you mentioned do not impair the mind, to a certain extent. I would never consume a fairly potent kava drink (or however you ingest it) and then drive a car. Even something as simple melatonin can cause a significant amount of drowsiness that can impair the proper control of a vehicle. Just because you choose not to consume them to that point (call it abuse or recreational use, whatever), does not mean others will not.

The same idea applies to all of my suggestions. The OP is, I am assuming, a grown individual (he can get into bars, so he is either 21 years of age or older, or has a good fake ID), in which case I am confident that he is fully capable of determining how much of a substance to consume. Whether he takes enough of a substance to impair his mind or not, is his decision. It is also his decision to, or not to, take illegal, even harmful, substances. I do not attempt to make that for him, and I would suggest you do the same. Which leads me to my next point:

Everything you suggested is terrible and of bad class. "Trying other drugs" defeats the purpose of staying sober.

Oh and by "go sober" I mean going out on the weekends and getting hammered I'll still drink a scotch/beer every now and again and might get day drunk every once in a while because it's nice sitting outside and drinking all day with friends.

Personally, I feel one should become educated on a subject before stating an opinion or suggestion. Unfortunately, this ideal is rarely found among the populace. The OP is not asking to be 100% sober, he is asking for an alternative to drinking heavily, week after week, while he is out at the bar. The suggestions I gave are viable, cheap, alternatives. They will allow him to enjoy himself without the need for alcohol. Within the constraints given at the outset of this thread, this is exactly what he asked for.

If you want to comment on any of my posts, especially to insult me, PM me, and we can have these fun conversations without hijacking a thread. Seeing how (previously) I directed nothing toward you, except to reinforce your suggestions, I do not understand how your post is beneficial to this thread in any way. If you don't like the suggestions I made, then don't follow them. I'm sure everyone who read the thread is already doing just this.

Last edited:

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basically, anything you can do sober is more fun when you're drinking. If you dont want to drink heavily, just bring 1/2 the cash you normally would on a weekend, you'll have half as many drinks, and be half as drunk.

Last edited:

Doctor

Reaction score
I do not drink at all, never have. I mostly get by because I have friends who do not drink either... Obviously we do all sorts of things together and alcohol never plays a part.

In terms of broader life issues, I get around it by being the busiest guy anyone has ever met. I:

- Work in a law firm (3-4 days/week)
- Work in a service station (normally 1 shift a week, varies)
- Work as a freelance graphics designer (though practically all my work is now for 1 organisation) (evenings and Saturday's)
- Play squash with 2 friends every week (Friday afternoon)
- Do competitive indoor rowing (keeps me in great shape)
- Regularly have dinner with mates on non-drinking nights (after work, Mon-Thur) and breakfast on Saturday mornings if they're available
- Help dad on his property every other weekend (seriously hard work)
- Am a youth worker - every Sunday, all day, looking after hordes of disadvantaged kids - this is exceptionally rewarding and challening
- Am a tutor at my uni (paid work for the law society) - I like teaching
- Study full time

I also have a number of interests (clothing being one) which keep my mind stimulated.

So no, I don't go out drinking on Friday or Saturday night, but I certainly am never, ever bored.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads