• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you go to school for?

2balls

Reaction score
Mechanical Engineering. Didn't learn a single thing applicable to my job or life. I did do alot of partying and experimenting though, much to the detriment of my grades. Now I'm re-evaluating my career path. MBA ftw.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Mentioned over in the foriegn language thread, but will elaborate here...my university years were a bit mixed up, but ultimately pretty well spent.

Out of high school in Australia I got into a BA and was sorta heading in a poli sci/social sciences direction. I was very successful in spending a lot of that year blindingly stoned and selling acid for pocket money, but somehow in there applied to study abroad in the US and won a scholarship to that end.

A quarter or so into my first year in the US I kind of recognised that I wasn't really getting anywhere of use with those kind of courses, and business-tracked myself more (although technically I was accumulating units toward a BA in Australia).

When I came back to Australia, I transfered to a Management-degree-in-marketing and kept the units I could.

I had kinda decided PR was the career for me, and had aligned my study in that direction, applied for an entry level job, didn't get it for not being tech enough (dotcom days). In that rejection, I saw an opportunity to differentiate myself from the field, so I went and talked to the professors about a DIY double major in PR and electronic business...they liked the idea and so I got special permission to derail my course requirements toward my career ambitions.

Worked out pretty well, although took a bit over a year longer than I would have hoped with the transferring and the country and unit hopping.

Still, it was professionally a great move. Certainly when nine zillion comms grads sent their CVs around saying 'hello, I am a comms grad please hire me cos uh i'm a comms grad', mine stood out because my cover letter played up that I was not a comms grad, I was a business grad who did his share of comms courses, but was "well versed" in the industry that is the biggest spender in the economy of the time.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a high school drop out. But I did finish college ... three times.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
went to undergrad for pre-med (go figure, being azn), graduated with poli-sci/soci, now in law, and hating life
frown.gif

Eagle

Reaction score
I needed a four year degree to get a commission in the USAF and head off to flight school. Picked up a BS in Criminology and later, while serving on an ICBM Combat Crew, picked up an MS in Correctional Services.
musicboohoo[1].gif

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jenaimarr
B.S. Neuroscience

Worked for 2 years in biotech doing onocology therapeutics research.

Ph.D Molecular Pharmacology & Toxicology

Went back to the same oncology company albeit at a much higher position/salary.

No many biotechs or pharma's in the L.A. area. You doing product development? Curious where...PM me if you don't mind.

Gingahbman

Reaction score
Business for undergrad and currently working on my masters in project management. I figured this combination would work out well for the financial world, and it did... Unfortunately I did not anticipate how much I would hate working in big banking. I'll finish off the masters, but plan to avoid finance jobs at all costs.

Currently an unemployed writer/entrepreneur/part time student. The money (or lack of
teacha.gif
) sucks, but I've never been happier. However, the best thing I got out of college was just understanding how people operate. To this day, still the best lesson I was taught, though I probably could have learnt this lesson at a state school and saved my parents a few greenbacks in the process.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
wow only a couple PhDs herE ?
Originally Posted by teddieriley
No many biotechs or pharma's in the L.A. area. You doing product development? Curious where...PM me if you don't mind.
isn't genentech (at least one branch) located somewhere between SD and LA ?

Jenaimarr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shahanshah
wow only a couple PhDs herE ?

isn't genentech (at least one branch) located somewhere between SD and LA ?

Manufacturing is located in Oceanside/SD. Only R&D facility I'm aware of is in SF.

Riley Dee

Reaction score
Undergrad (2007): BS Business (Productions and Operations Managaement)
Grad (2010): MBA: General

However, I return to class Monday to finish up the 30 hours left for an Accounting undergrad and then I will sit for my CPA

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
undergrad: double major in electrical engineering and mechanical engineering, though my true passion out of high school was aeronautical. I didn't went for that route because I didn't think I could get a job without being a US citizen.

Went to a phd program in electrical engineering straight out of undergrad, regretted, plus some personal issue, so end up only finish m.s. and join up the finance bandwagon right at summer 2007. Started as a front office IT/Quant, became front office with the same desk a bit afterwards. Surprisingly still with the same guys after god knows how many rounds of lay off plus up and downs.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what I'm doing in college. The major that I'm majoring doesn't make any money, but I won't drop out, my parents will look at me funny. Now tell me that isn't insecurity- yet the concept of school seemed so secure.....

BC2012

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
I have no idea what I'm doing in college. The major that I'm majoring doesn't make any money, but I won't drop out, my parents will look at me funny. Now tell me that isn't insecurity- yet the concept of school seemed so secure.....

You could always decide to stay there and maybe style hair? It's enough money to buy some new Airs, cause your mommy and daddy don't really care.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads