• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you go to school for?

BC2012

Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
So Penn, Chicago and NYU law are worthless?

As much as I am a Penn homer, you definitely mean CCN (Columbia, Chicago, NYU).
teacha.gif

For BigLaw & clerkships, Yale, Harvard and Stanford are still placing a significant percentage of their class but the numbers have dropped off for BigLaw with CCN and down. It gets a bit murky saying CCN are not worthwhile but if you're looking to spend $250k in loans you need to realize that BigLaw isn't guaranteed out of those schools now.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to school because my experience with countless crappy low-skill summer jobs convinced me that I didn't want to keep working at those sorts of jobs any more.

kxk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
So Penn, Chicago and NYU law are worthless?
these are perfectly great schools to attend if you're set on being a lawyer working for a large firm. more likely than not, going forward, a degree from these schools will set you up for a fine upper-middle class life. (although a separate story as to whether (1) you'd be happy doing law and (2) the "more likely than not" probability is worth it to you). however, Penn, (Columbia), Chicago, and NYU law degrees are not going to "open a large number of doors" that would otherwise not. Even at Yale, Harvard, and Stanford, the door opening effect is not as huge as one might think. And no, this is not a defeatist attitude, at least as far as "door opening" goes. If anything, i feel that it's the poor life choices grounded on misinformation and unbridled optimism of endless opportunities that have led to the student loan crisis, subprime mortgage crisis, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads