• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

nlakind

Reaction score
sat. night i had James Beach in venice for the 1st time. it's the fish taco place as seen in "i love you man" which i didn't know until we got there & it said that on the menu, but the fish tacos were really great!

last night was my local favorite, umami burger =)

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried two new (to me) places in Vegas over the weekend.

1. Todd English P.U.B. - Cheap, Fun, Good Quality. not gourmet, but they will give you 2 free pints of beer as long as you are able to drink them in under 7 seconds each. The rest of the menu has some great apps (very cumin-heavy (but tasty) buffalo wings, duck buns, a solid raw bar and some other stuff), a carvery (meat by the pound w/ choice of bread and condiments, and some pub classics. Great beer list. It's a good lunch or casual dinner place to get a nice base for drinking. Far from haute cuisine, but it fills a niche that I usually go to Burger Bar for, but closer to teh properties where I stay.

2. Finally tried Lotus of Siam. Really, really good. Not the best Thai food I've had in the US (that honor still goes to Sala Thai in Detroit for me), but the most extensive thai menu I've seen, ability to deliver in the spice department without compromising flavor, good prices/value, and an overall win.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
last night was almonds and muscle milk shakes...I had a GNARLY lasagne from bossa nova (http://www.bossafood.com/) for lunch which was just a total gut buster and knocked me out all day....this actually had some pancetta and Ham in it...really awesome...it just swims in olive oil. I skipped breakfast and didn't have lunch until 1:45pm so I was ready to chow down
4989011231_9baae6f5fc_b.jpg

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I can't say that it looks dope, but I'm sure it was. Korean, Thai, and Mexican/South American are destined to be fused in good ways. menu looks good too, they try this kind of **** in Korea year after year and fail miserably, because the Korean pride factor outweighs things like using tasty ass Japanese produce and flavor pairings and some western touches...

the vegetables/herbs they used were very very complimentary. Egg was fried perfectly with the yolk breaking up everywhere...it was really like a steak and eggs with rice, then spicy with horseradish.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Tried two new (to me) places in Vegas over the weekend.

1. Todd English P.U.B. - Cheap, Fun, Good Quality. not gourmet, but they will give you 2 free pints of beer as long as you are able to drink them in under 7 seconds each. The rest of the menu has some great apps (very cumin-heavy (but tasty) buffalo wings, duck buns, a solid raw bar and some other stuff), a carvery (meat by the pound w/ choice of bread and condiments, and some pub classics. Great beer list. It's a good lunch or casual dinner place to get a nice base for drinking. Far from haute cuisine, but it fills a niche that I usually go to Burger Bar for, but closer to teh properties where I stay.

2. Finally tried Lotus of Siam. Really, really good. Not the best Thai food I've had in the US (that honor still goes to Sala Thai in Detroit for me), but the most extensive thai menu I've seen, ability to deliver in the spice department without compromising flavor, good prices/value, and an overall win.

yeah, I think I had a seafood sampler over at P.U.B. although I got pretty lit over there from a couple whiskey/cokes. I liked the layout, i need to try their fish and chips next time I'm over down that way.

Best Thai food I've had was at Pok Pok in Portland. Never been to Lotus of Siam, but been to their "sister" restaurant (in a previous reincarnation) in LA, Renu Nakorn....I really enjoyed it. Not sure if I'll be motivated to make the effort to try L.O.S. in vegas though.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had my first truly meh+ meal at a L'atelier de Joel Robuchon (in 6 visits) tonight in NY. Could have something to do with the fact that I was kind of goaded into going (would have preferred a more economical option) and then goaded into the Decouvere (which I often get, but I was really interested in trying the suckling pig special this evening, and I would have chosen a smaller menu costing closer to $125 vs. $190.

Courses -

Amuse: Fantastic.. remembered why I let myself get talked into it- prime semi-local cantaloupe w/ chiffonade of mint in an orange gelee - although it was 4-5 bites, which is too large for a true amuse.

Course 1 - Osietra Caviar over angel-hair with a fresh tomato sauce. The pasta was intentionally bland, but it is difficult to eat and get the right mix of caviar / pasta / sauce in each bite. Plus, just give me a blini and creme fresh. Even JR can't really "improve" caviar - although the preparation I had at Masa's in SF was significantly better. This was also probably $50-60 of the cost of the meal.

Course 2 - Crispy Langoustine in fried pastry with basil and pesto sauce. One of the two true highlights of the meal. Something I've never had there before, and it was surprising and fabulous.

Course 3 - Seared Foie Gras with ginger and pickled apricot. Garnish was great - crust on the foie was thick/chewey like they had cheated and egg-washed it or something. Inside was great, but the crust was somehow off.

Course 4 - Sea Bass w/ Leek and Crispy Leeks. It sang - best sea-bass I've ever had. Perfectly seasoned, fresh.. worthy of a place on the menu at Le Bernardin.

Course 4 - Amedai w/ crispy leeks in yuzu broth. Crispy skin on fish was very well executed. Flavor profile good. But two courses in a row featuring fish + crispy leeks? Seriously?

Course 5 - Quail stuffed with Foie Gras and pommes puree- A JR classic. Never not had it. Never not been good... but I'm almost tired of it. There was not another choice, whereas most other times I have had an option for the "main course" of the discovery. Also, no fresh truffle on the pommes?!?!?!?

Course 6 - Pre-dessert: Lychee sorbet with cherry gelee, lemon foam and poppyseeds

Course 7 - Dessert one - Pineapple Cheesecake mousse with pineapple chunks. VERY Rich, but good.

Course 8 - 19 kinds of chocolate - mousse, ganache, cookie, candy, etc. in a martini glass. DAMN GOOD. but I was stuffed by then... still finished. It was awesome.

Overall, if I had not been to Alinea and LB in the last two weeks, I might have had a different opinion. My wallet is hurting and my palate is very demanding. Overall not a total :FFFFFFFuuuuuuuuu: but it did not meet expectations based on previous experiences at LV and Paris L'ateliers.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Course 2 - Crispy Langoustine in fried pastry with basil and pesto sauce. One of the two true highlights of the meal. Something I've never had there before, and it was surprising and fabulous.
30412_393632412775_561887775_4241980_6571403_n.jpg

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
had really good fejuada for lunch today. I love pork and beans.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lunch was a Nook Burger from Nook Bistro. http://www.nookbistro.com/ REALLY REALLY great burger. great bread, gruyere cheese, they have some kind of wine sauce on it....
4995329630_495956317b_z.jpg
Dinner was at a hole in the wall taco stand in Venice (La Playaita). had a carne asada burritoa jarritos to celebrate mexican independance day.
4995330036_dc31135809_z.jpg
kind of place that makes me love LA. standing up eating on a dirty, shady corner in LA...Taptatio flowin'.
4995333748_ee6765e521_z.jpg

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night - Joe's Shanghai .

Today, I tried Burger Joint for lunch - great shake - good burger.

Final determination:

Corner Bistro > Burger Joint > Shake Shack

But Kuma's kicks all their asses, and Five Guys fries are still the best.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I had a lot of delicious things tonight.
Boy that sounds delicious! Went to Capitol Grille for the first time tonight. We're having something similar to "Restaurant Week" down here called Flavor Palm Beach. $15 for lunch and $30 for dinner. 3 courses with several selections. I did find it odd that Capitol charges so much for steaks that aren't even Prime. A bit too much for choice, even if it is dry aged. Had 1 special which consisted of caesar salad, 8oz filet w/au jus, mashed potatoes, and cheesecake. The caesar was god awful. Thin dressing with a bunch of hearts chopped up and a few shavings of parmesan on top. The filet was nothing special, just s&p on top, and the au jus wasn't either. A decent piece of meat but I'd be hesitant about paying $20 for that much less $40. The potatoes were your normal garden variety "smashed" with tons of butter. The cheesecake was probably the best part. Plated terrine style it was light and had a tasty crust. For some reason they decided to glaze the top like it was a creme brulee. Certainly worth the $30 but there's no way in hell I'd drop $80 - $100 on a similar meal there.

tricota

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yo-han
ok, I just make them like reg fries, i.e. soak, preboil in water with vinegar, but I substitute reg. vinegar with truffle vinegar, deepfry two times and top off with some shaved truffles, works a charm.

Just normal standard vinegar or white wine vinegar? And how much do you use?

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
went to Casa Bianca (pizza) in Eagle Rock last night. Hawaiian Pizza and mozerella sticks!

ffffuuuu.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member