• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What counts as animal neglect?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've noticed that my neighbors have left their two dogs in the back yard for the past 2 hours. They're both whining at the door and clearly want to go inside and/or play with their owners. The backyard is pretty huge but the poor guys just wanna get out and have a good time.
frown.gif
Should I report them to the local humane society? N.B. I've never seen these dogs being walked in the neighborhood or our adjacent park.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In most jurisdictions, owners may leave their dogs in a yard for up to four consecutive hours without walking them or personally entertaining them before it is considered misdemeanor animal neglect. It generally does not escalate to felony animal cruelty until the timespan exceeds six hours.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
In most jurisdictions, owners may leave their dogs in a yard for up to four consecutive hours without walking them or personally entertaining them before it is considered misdemeanor animal neglect. It generally does not escalate to felony animal cruelty until the timespan exceeds six hours.

A dog left outside in a secured enclosure for six hours is a felony? You can't leave a dog in a pen or on a chain when you go to work for 8 hours?

That's truly ridiculous.

lefty

Man In Space

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I've noticed that my neighbors have left their two dogs in the back yard for the past 2 hours. They're both whining at the door and clearly want to go inside and/or play with their owners.

The backyard is pretty huge but the poor guys just wanna get out and have a good time.
frown.gif
Should I report them to the local humane society?

N.B. I've never seen these dogs being walked in the neighborhood or our adjacent park.

Are you serious?

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Maybe you could complain to your neighbors that their whining is bothering you and get results? I don't know if that would just illicit further cruelty to the animals (as in beating them to shut up), you would have to use your best judgment. If that doesn't work then I would call somebody (effectively taking matters into your own hands, and beyond). I love dogs and anybody that is blatantly mistreating them is fair game to me. I had a neighbor once that mistreated his dog and my housemate and I made him suffer accordingly and found the dog a loving home. Though we obviously weren't entirely informed of the circumstances leading up to the abuse, it turns out that we did the right thing. If I were you I would do something, and I hope you do.

Karo

Reaction score
What if they had a doghouse or bought as an 'outside' dog?

Fulcannelli

Reaction score
When I was young my nans sisters farm had farm dogs on it where they used to put lumps of wood around the dogs necks.... they could walk around ok but when they run the wood bangs against their legs....it stopped them running away.

Thats pretty awful I know... farmers are a funny bunch.
confused.gif

2 hours in a back garden is nothing to a lifetime outside....

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
Maybe you could complain to your neighbors that their whining is bothering you and get results? I don't know if that would just illicit further cruelty to the animals (as in beating them to shut up), you would have to use your best judgment. If that doesn't work then I would call somebody (effectively taking matters into your own hands, and beyond). I love dogs and anybody that is blatantly mistreating them is fair game to me. I had a neighbor once that mistreated his dog and my housemate and I made him suffer accordingly and found the dog a loving home. Though we obviously weren't entirely informed of the circumstances leading up to the abuse, it turns out that we did the right thing. If I were you I would do something, and I hope you do.
Follow this advice Conne, and you'll find yourself the recipient of a good old-fashioned ass-whupping.

Dogs in the yard for a couple hours is hardly abusive.

And I am a confirmed dog lover.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
No, you were serious and you are just backtracking like the weasel that you are. I really should follow RJMan's advice and not feed the trolls.

Jon.

Actually, he was screwing around as he detailed to me on IM, before even you responded.....

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
Actually, he was screwing around as he detailed to me on IM, before even you responded.....

Whatever you say Carlton. If it's true, only a loser puts that much time and effort into posting such an endeavor; the same reason why said loser made a new SN when he was in time-out. Come on Mikey-boy, you couldn't take it like a man?

Also, I mention in passing, that with his bizarre postings, it is basically impossible to know when he is being serious or it's the alcohol kicking in. I just assumed he was being serious...

Jon.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
No, you were serious and you are just backtracking like the weasel that you are. I really should follow RJMan's advice and not feed the trolls. Jon.
Umm you are the imageWEASEL.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads