• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What car do you drive?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
Exactly, not to mention that the insurance on a £60k for someone with 4 years experience is about £20k. No way in hell I can afford that, and cost of damaging one without insurance is a massive risk.
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
That sounds pretty excessive man.
Eeek. I think my M Coupe costs me about 600 USD a YEAR. But I do know that a lot of people with poor records can have astronomical insurance here in the States. Funny thing is, when I got the insurance on the car, I got a letter stating that were it not for my history with the company and valued business, they would not insure the car. Also, on the policy the"Type" of car is listed as, I swear, in caps "HOT." Hilarious.
Originally Posted by henrikc
So for an expensive and powerful car, with a young driver, it's going to skyrocket. £20k seems high though, but if he has a bad track record it's actually too excessive for those two cars. I heard a story about a guy who had an older Ferrari. Insurance was pretty cheap - it was about 10 models or so in the entire country, and he paid the equivalent to a medium sized sedan - think Audi A4. Unfortunately, one of the other owners had an accident and had to use his insurance to cover it, and the next year the bill was quadrupled.
Made me think of this clip, which is pretty horrifying on a number of levels. http://www.streetfire.net/video/fath...sh_2059969.htm ~ H

Mysnapple2000

Reaction score
Hi, I have two cars, a 2001 BMW X5 3.0, and a 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser. Would love to trade in the X5 for a 2008 X5, 4.8 but I'm afraid to expend over 45,000.00 on an automobile. Actually I believe clothes and a fine automobile are all a part of being well dressed. But I live in LA, and I really think that's a California thing.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Eeek. I think my M Coupe costs me about 600 USD a YEAR. But I do know that a lot of people with poor records can have astronomical insurance here in the States. Funny thing is, when I got the insurance on the car, I got a letter stating that were it not for my history with the company and valued business, they would not insure the car. Also, on the policy the"Type" of car is listed as, I swear, in caps "HOT." Hilarious.

Yeah I basically pulled a number out of ******, but I currently drive a 1.9L Petrol car valued at approx £3k. My insurance is currently £500 per year which is considered cheap by my friends. When I first got the car (and I had zero years no-claims) its was £2,950 to insure which was a joke. It would have been cheaper to buy a new car with every crash than to claim on the insurance.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
Yeah I basically pulled a number out of ******, but I currently drive a 1.9L Petrol car valued at approx £3k. My insurance is currently £500 per year which is considered cheap by my friends. When I first got the car (and I had zero years no-claims) its was £2,950 to insure which was a joke. It would have been cheaper to buy a new car with every crash than to claim on the insurance.
Yeeeeoooowwch. Forgive my ignorance, but I wonder why its SO HIGH? To keep kids off the road / discourage risky driving? I find it hard to believe the accident rate is so much higher in the UK, perhaps the issue is the smaller risk pool. ~ H

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually don't know, but I suspect it has something to do with the way everything is worked out (I assume you're comparing to the US?).

To start with we insure the driver, not the car. As a result some guy who has just passed his test is something like 75% sure of crashing within 24 months. Women are safer, my sister pays approximately half what I do on the same car/age/vehicle.

No Claims Bonus also plays a role; once you have about 4 years without making an insurance claim you get up to 70% off the total price. A £1000 policy comes down to £300 which is more reasonable.

Pair that with the high traffic density in the UK, massively fluctuating weather conditions (You are never more than 3 hours drive from snow in England, even in summer), higher speed limits, narrower lanes and a general precedent for ******* over drivers I guess we are a target. The worst is for a Young Male, Student, 1 year since passing his Test, 1 years no claims. The agencies basically assume that you're a frat boy who spends 99% of his time drunk or high and who drives at 120mph in town.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by henrikc
This is probably not the case in the US, but at least in Norway (and I reckon in the UK as well), insurance price is based on, but not limited to:
  • Car model - if it's a popular model, often represented in crashes, it's going to push the price up
  • Horsepower
  • Previous accidents
  • How long you want to drive each year
  • List price
So for an expensive and powerful car, with a young driver, it's going to skyrocket. £20k seems high though, but if he has a bad track record it's actually too excessive for those two cars.

I heard a story about a guy who had an older Ferrari. Insurance was pretty cheap - it was about 10 models or so in the entire country, and he paid the equivalent to a medium sized sedan - think Audi A4. Unfortunately, one of the other owners had an accident and had to use his insurance to cover it, and the next year the bill was quadrupled.

Insurance is about the same everywhere, except that the US differs from Europe in the fact that rarity would cost you more in the US, whereas it can sometimes cost you less in Europe, as you said. In the US they'd charge you for the risk incurred on a rare car that would be expensive to repair/replace.

For example, you could buy one of those turnkey hi-po builder cars (Alpina BMW, Brabus MB, etc) and in Europe the insurance would cost less due to rarity/risk of being stolen I guess. In America, good luck having one of those cars, they would probably be defined as exotics.

FWIW 20,000GBP is insane for an Audi, any Audi, maybe barring a V10 R8 or something. When I was in high school, with a bad driving record (two totals on cheap cars within a year and some speeding tickets) I won some scholarships to college that added up to a full ride, and so my dad told me I could use some of what was going to be my college funds to buy a car I wanted, we'd made that deal quite a while back, despite my driving record previously. For ***** and giggles, I got insurance quotes on a lot of cars; needless to say, many insurance companies would not insure me unless it was a mundane compact or something, but I did get quotes on things like Supra turbos, old air cooled 911's, NSX's, BMW M cars, etc - most of those were gonna be $5-10K, I think the Porsche was gonna be $12K/year, given my awful driving record and the fact I was 18. Ended up getting a BMW 540i, and insurance was less than a Civic (this was when Civics were about guaranteed to be stolen from you)...

I had a friend in college who had a Supra turbo; I don't remember what his insurance was but it was in that $5-10K range as well, he was 19 or something. He also had a bad driving record, and had totaled a new Lexus before for a large claim (like $40-50K)...

so.... $30,000USD/year for an RS5 sounds pretty high to me :p

henrikc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
so.... $30,000USD/year for an RS5 sounds pretty high to me :p
Sure, for the RS5 alone, that's high, no doubt about it, but for both an RS5 and the A8L it's not too bad.

Too bad the insurance is for the driver. We're lucky enough to insure the car here in Norway, so it's common to add your parents as the owners of the car, insure it on them and then add yourself as an additional driver. You're easily looking at 75% in savings each year.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
i drive margiela shoes. you see, they are so comfortably walking is like flying

pstoller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
not sure which of us is a bigger sucker.

He is: Margiela shoes have terrible arch support.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
^ my gats are incredibly comfortable not sure what you talking about ?
Originally Posted by mordecai
not sure which of us is a bigger sucker.
i waste what would be downpayment, insurance, gas, maintenance, lease+interest(??/!!) on overpriced clothing instead. if i get a vespa, i will certainly take that title away from you. by the way did you see the ninja edit or are we so alike in thought?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads