• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_5380.jpeg

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was in New York a couple of weeks ago at a bookstore near Rockefeller Center. Son was busy wringing his hands over which Diary of a Wimpy Kid book to buy, and I decided to pick this up. Only finished the first chapter so far, but it's interesting, and I like the writing style.

815ZrU40g8L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
Blast from the past read that in first year back at University throughly enjoyed it. Great book.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8A62061F-5F4A-44FF-A147-0264EC42A3C1.jpeg

Recovering from hip replacement surgery @46, I kid you not! Thought I’d catch up on some literary biography’s.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
William Gibson: Burning Chrome, 1986.

'She try to call you yet?'
'No.'
'She will.'
'Rubin, she's dead. They cremated her already.'

'I know,' he said. 'And she's going to call you.'

Collection of short stories, some taking place in the same Sprawl setting as Neuromancer. Gibson is one of the greatest prose stylist in SF, his flinty style being the perfect match for the cyberpunk world he invents. Recommended on the strength of the writing alone, though the stories are cool too. It's hard to read these without a smile on your face from just how well written they are.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2145891
Recovering from hip replacement surgery @46, I kid you not! Thought I’d catch up on some literary biography’s.
I read a fictional account of his life The Magician by Colm Toibin. Was a big fan at 21 read 7 books of his that year. Never got round to reading a biography of him.Still have copies of The Magic Mountain, Joseph and His Brothers and Doctor Faustus.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did 51 books last year and hoping to do better this year. 14 so far. Some great highlights I would recommend here:

- Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland. Patrick Radden Keefe. A very interesting look at some of the more notorious personalities on the Republican side of the troubles.
- Tokyo Vice: An American Reporter on the Police Beat in Japan. Jake Adelstein. Incredible. Adelstein is the first Westerner to be hired as a reporter by the Yomiuri Shimbun, Japan's largest paper. Story is wild.
- The Wager. A Tale of Shipwreck, Mutiny and Murder. David Grann. New last year and on the NYT best books of 2023 list.
- Ametora. How Japan Saved American Style. W. David Marks. Reissued for 2023. Pickup up at Armoury Tribeca. Seems appropriate for the forum.
- The Botany of Desire. Michael Polan. An older title I had never gotten to. Who knew apples were so cool?
- The Box: How the Shipping Container Made the World Smaller and the World Economy Bigger. Marc Levinson. I'm an operations/logistics nerd, so this was great for me. But overall good look at an important change in how we all live.
- The Amur River: Between Russia and China. Colin Thubron. Thubron is a total badass and great writer. A great travelogue.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read a fictional account of his life The Magician by Colm Toibin. Was a big fan at 21 read 7 books of his that year. Never got round to reading a biography of him.Still have copies of The Magic Mountain, Joseph and His Brothers and Doctor Faustus.
HAH. I also went on a Thomas Mann dive in my 20s: Confessions of Felix Krull is a favourite.
Will seek The Magician. Also picked up these at Kay Craddock:
884DF203-5929-454A-9434-CEB29F1719A7.jpeg

Will work on them after Bio.

Last edited:

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
William Gibson: Burning Chrome, 1986.

'She try to call you yet?'
'No.'
'She will.'
'Rubin, she's dead. They cremated her already.'

'I know,' he said. 'And she's going to call you.'

Collection of short stories, some taking place in the same Sprawl setting as Neuromancer. Gibson is one of the greatest prose stylist in SF, his flinty style being the perfect match for the cyberpunk world he invents. Recommended on the strength of the writing alone, though the stories are cool too. It's hard to read these without a smile on your face from just how well written they are.
Late to party.
Friend has been trying to get me to read his sprawl trilogy for years. Have had it penciled-in, similarly, for years.
One day.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did 51 books last year and hoping to do better this year. 14 so far. Some great highlights I would recommend here:

- Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland. Patrick Radden Keefe. A very interesting look at some of the more notorious personalities on the Republican side of the troubles.
- Tokyo Vice: An American Reporter on the Police Beat in Japan. Jake Adelstein. Incredible. Adelstein is the first Westerner to be hired as a reporter by the Yomiuri Shimbun, Japan's largest paper. Story is wild.
- The Wager. A Tale of Shipwreck, Mutiny and Murder. David Grann. New last year and on the NYT best books of 2023 list.
- Ametora. How Japan Saved American Style. W. David Marks. Reissued for 2023. Pickup up at Armoury Tribeca. Seems appropriate for the forum.
- The Botany of Desire. Michael Polan. An older title I had never gotten to. Who knew apples were so cool?
- The Box: How the Shipping Container Made the World Smaller and the World Economy Bigger. Marc Levinson. I'm an operations/logistics nerd, so this was great for me. But overall good look at an important change in how we all live.
- The Amur River: Between Russia and China. Colin Thubron. Thubron is a total badass and great writer. A great travelogue.
Read the first two and can confirm they are excellent. It really is hard for people to comprehend just how horrific ireland was for so long. Jake adelstein did a podcast two years ago or maybe last year "the Evaporated: Gone With the Gods" about how easy and common it is to just disappear in Japan.

The Amur River and the Wager are on my never-shrinking list to read.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Late to party.
Friend has been trying to get me to read his sprawl trilogy for years. Have had it penciled-in, similarly, for years.
One day.
Neuromancer was a bit of a hard read for me (Gibson flies through cyberspace at such break-neck speeds that it can be hard to keep up), but I'm still planning to pick up the next two Sprawls and start them off with a re-read of Neuromancer. For the first book, I'll suggest picking up the nice hardcover from the Penguin Galaxy imprint (and then enjoy that iconic opening line).

But before that I'll recommend getting Burning Chrome. As mentioned, some of these short stories (3 out of 10) take place in the Sprawl (including Johnny Mnemonic) and they work nicely as prequels to Neuromancer and as an acclimating introduction to Gibson's prose.

Last edited:

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neuromancer was a bit of a hard read for me (Gibson flies through cyberspace at such break-neck speeds that it can be hard to keep up), but I'm still planning to pick up the next two Sprawls and start them off with a re-read of Neuromancer. For the first book, I'll suggest picking up the nice hardcover from the Penguin Galaxy imprint (and then enjoy that iconic opening line).

But before that I'll recommend getting Burning Chrome. As mentioned, some of these short stories (3 out of 10) take place in the Sprawl (including Johnny Mnemonic) and they work nicely as prequels to Neuromancer and as an acclimating introduction to Gibson's prose.
It is because I am a physicist that I too often reject Sci-fi, it hurts. That said, do intend to read the trilogy… one day.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just started that one recently; a little dry, but it is kind of amazing how such a simple thing can be so transformative.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just started that one recently; a little dry, but it is kind of amazing how such a simple thing can be so transformative.
Wooden pallets, too!
There was an incredibly long (probably too long, tbh) article I read maybe 15 years ago now that went into the pallet's anthropological importance, how there hasn't been a way to improve on the design, how to stop pallet theft, it was all very interesting.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did 51 books last year and hoping to do better this year. 14 so far.
I think I did 40 last year (and some shorts stories). And likewise up to 14 so far this year. Highlights from last year:

Childhood's End, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, The Dying Earth, The Forever War, Who Goes There?, The Stars My destination, Solaris, Hothouse, Northwest of Earth, Last and First Men.

This sounds like something I should pick up. I'm quite enjoying the tv series on HBO (co-produced by Adelstein, I believe) - with vibes of Scott's great Black Rain.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
16 holds on six copies at the library meant I'll buy this one. View attachment 2144011
This book is so good. Had me crying this morning. There is a donkey named Ferrari who manages to provide comedic relief even though he is really just mentioned. But, Ferrari does have some genuinely touching moments as a character--all while one of Christianity's holiest sites is being obliterated in war.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads