• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest problem seems to me to be that The Old Ones are described to be so outside our comprehension as to be maddening to look upon, making any visual depiction an automatic failure (even though Cthulhu is pretty detailed described in the story). It definitely would require the right balance of how much to attempt to show - maybe someone like Guillermo del Toro could pull it off.
He's apparently been trying the make "At the Mountains of Madness" for ages.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H.G. Wells: The Time Machine, 1895.

"It is a law of Nature we overlook, that intellectual versatility is the compensation for change, danger, and trouble."

Wells invents the time machine in this brisk classic - easily read in one sitting with its 115 pages. Not merely an adventure tale with Eloi and Morlocks, this had more philosophical and societal ruminations than I expected. The description of time as the Fourth Dimension seemed very modern for 1895, and it was fun to see how Wells' writing style felt rather modern as well, even compared to that of Lovecraft from 40 years later. The story even takes a quick jaunt to a future dying earth under a red sun - a setting Jack Vance embraced 55 years later with great results.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reading one of my favorite authors while the kids are doing swim lessons…

IMG_4733.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started up the Flashman series - good stuff!
Read them and love them! They do get a bit old after a while, though, after Flashman and the Great Game. I would highly recommend Fraser's stand-alone novel Mr. American. It's about an American outlaw who flees to England around 1900 with stolen gold and pushes into the English wealthy classes. An aged General Flashman makes an appearance. Smashing read.

1705496810694.png

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noted! I've also got The Complete McAuslan as a backup
71vHBrQPvHL._AC_UL320_.jpg
Some of those stories are very funny. Scots generally don't appreciate the caricature of PVT McAuslan as the "shambling tartan Caliban."

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E.M. Forster: The Machine Stops, 1909.

"But humanity, in its desire for comfort, had overreached itself... Quietly and complacently, it was sinking into decadence."

I wasn't aware of it when started this, but it turned out to be inspired by Wells' The Time Machine that I read yesterday, also presenting a future where a lack of adversity leads to cultural, intellectual and spiritual decline - this time with technology to blame. Extremely prescient for a 115 years old text (and more so now than it would've been 20 years ago), predicting Zoom calls, instant messaging, access to thousands of friends at the touch of a button, TED talks (but only with recycled ideas), and a pretty precise description of live like we've recently seen under lock-down.

Extremely well written and a breeze to read (this probably shouldn't have been a surprise - Forster was nominated for the Nobel Price in Literature in 22 separate years). The best short story I've read, highly recommended.

Last edited:

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H.G. Wells: The Time Machine, 1895.

"It is a law of Nature we overlook, that intellectual versatility is the compensation for change, danger, and trouble."

Wells invents the time machine in this brisk classic - easily read in one sitting with its 115 pages. Not merely an adventure tale with Eloi and Morlocks, this had more philosophical and societal ruminations than I expected. The description of time as the Fourth Dimension seemed very modern for 1895, and it was fun to see how Wells' writing style felt rather modern as well, even compared to that of Lovecraft from 40 years later. The story even takes a quick jaunt to a future dying earth under a red sun - a setting Jack Vance embraced 55 years later with great results.
It's a great book, The Island of Doctor Moreau is pretty much in this vein. Both much better than corresponding attempts to put these stories to screen.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a great book, The Island of Doctor Moreau is pretty much in this vein. Both much better than corresponding attempts to put these stories to screen.
Good to hear. As can be seen here, that one recently entered my TBR list.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to hear. As can be seen here, that one recently entered my TBR list.
The Elric series (just books 1-6) was fun when I was younger. I re-read them during the pandemic but they fell short. He has great idea but is not always the best writer.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Elric series (just books 1-6) was fun when I was younger. I re-read them during the pandemic but they fell short. He has great idea but is not always the best writer.
That volume collects the first 4 books. Will get around to them when I take a break from Science Fiction, along with some other accumulated Sword & Sorcery (from Fritz Leiber, C.L. Moore and Lord Dunsany - I should get some Robert E. Howard too).

I did read one SF novel by Moorcock, The Final Programme - interesting, but not a favourite.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mountains of madness was a fun read but even more fun and interesting was the introduction which filets lovecrafts class prejudices .

in other news i just re-read The Demolished Man , a great cat n mouse story involving a mind reading detective and his world-beating quarry .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads