• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brian Aldiss: Non-Stop, 1958.

"It's a ship, you see, and it's headed nobody-knows-where, and it's old and creaking, and it's thick with phantoms and mysteries and riddles and pain - and some poor bastard has got to sort it out before it's too late, if it's not already too late!"

Published as Starship in the US, this is a generation starship novel with much the same set-up as Heinlein's earlier Orphans of the Sky, but with an extra conceptual breakthrough at the end. Aldiss was one of the giants of SF, with 3 titles on this top 100. This was his first novel and for me not nearly as great as his later Hothouse.

I have the current in-print edition from SF Masterworks, and while the cover illustration is nice, the overall livery style of this imprint is as always rather bad, so instead below is a cool vintage cover.
non-stop.jpg

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
John Christopher: The Death of Grass, 1956.

"Those people are starving. When you're in that condition, it's the next mouthful that you're willing to commit murder for."

"It was the Chinese government's unwillingness to admit they were faced with a problem they couldn't master that's got them in the worst of this mess."
Ann said: "How did they possibly imagine they could keep it a secret?"

A post apocalyptic novel set in the near future of 1958. A virus starts in China, killing off all rice and leading to mass extinction there. An attempt at neutralizing the virus makes it mutate to kill all grasses - including all grains - as it spreads across the rest of the world. In the UK the prospects of famine have the government resort to drastic measures, including travel bans, and civilization quickly breaks down as we follow a small group trying to escape London for the promise of a refuge in the countryside. Better than I expected and every bit as bleak as Cormac McCarthy's The Road.

death-of-grass.jpg

Years ago it was named among the top 10 out-of-print books in Britain, but it's back in this edition from Penguin Modern Classics, that very nicely re-uses the original 1956 cover illustration.
That’s a terrifying thought! Aside from fish, what do we eat that doesn‘t live on grass or grain? Yikes!

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the last two weeks, I’ve read:
1. The Psychology of Money.
2. Money: Master the Game.
3. The Little Book that Beats the Market.
4. Own The World.

I guess there’s a bit of a theme there.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s a terrifying thought! Aside from fish, what do we eat that doesn‘t live on grass or grain? Yikes!
Exactly - most livestock quickly dies (apart from some pigs that survive on potatoes).

Basically it’s down to fish & chips.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Im not sure i realized this when purchasing the book last year that it is an academic work but here we are.

Im about halfway through. It's a thorough retelling of America's founding with obviously new perspective. I think the author succeeds in proving that indigenous people actively shaped our country and they weren't just bit players to colonialism.

As the author continues to center native populations through to modern day America, I wonder how we're going to speed through 200 years of history when we are only at 1800 at the books midpoint.
20240716_222431.jpg

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
kiddo's bedtime reading rn is The Odyssey . Emily Wilson's translation is incredible , highly recommend .
My boy and I are reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not sure i realized this when purchasing the book last year that it is an academic work but here we are.

Im about halfway through. It's a thorough retelling of America's founding with obviously new perspective. I think the author succeeds in proving that indigenous people actively shaped our country and they weren't just bit players to colonialism.

As the author continues to center native populations through to modern day America, I wonder how we're going to speed through 200 years of history when we are only at 1800 at the books midpoint. View attachment 2215719
That honestly sounds really interesting, but I'm too lazy of a reader to tackle it myself.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My boy and I are reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

we recently did James and the giant peach , lately it's Friday Barnes and this series about kid dragons .

idk if we will necessarily finish , we're on book 3 of 24 ; Telemachus , having fled the house of his father under threat of the suitors ( and aided by the goddess Athena ) , has landed on Pylos and has just met Nestor . good stuff .

anyways , so far it's a well rendered , super enjoyable english translation of a swashbuckling epic adventure . great to read aloud . again , recommend !

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly - most livestock quickly dies (apart from some pigs that survive on potatoes).

Basically it’s down to fish & chips.
Well, when you put it like that, it doesn’t sound too bad at all! Fish and chips and occasionally some bacon? Sign me up!

ppk

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been reading Plato: Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, and Phaedo.

I started this 12-month course on the humanities. I was an engineering/math major in college and regret not taking more humanities courses. Trying to make up for it in my old age.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been reading Plato: Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, and Phaedo.

I started this 12-month course on the humanities. I was an engineering/math major in college and regret not taking more humanities courses. Trying to make up for it in my old age.
I’m usually quiet, however, humanities should not be course driven.

Physics/Engineering, here. Throw in Economics and just wrapping up Law degree.
The classics should not be an extension course nor study (with exceptions), it is a choice.

BTW read all of Aeschylus; Thucydides; and Boccaccio’s Decameron.

And for some relatively contemporary fun: Pirandello

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunamorris00