• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

v.freeman

Reaction score
Just finished reading the '08 Sebastian Faulks James Bond book, Devil May Care. Thought it was pretty entertaining. May have to read Fleming's books for fun when I have the time.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I just finished Area 51 last night. The really good revelation, when I read it had me literally shout out loud "HOLY ****".

And here's the thing...there is no reason to not believe what she said. First, she's a pretty well-established and respected journalist so there's no reason to think she'd risk that. But most important, because the book was so meticulously researched and so thorough, it also wouldn't be consistent that she would just throw this in there if it wasn't true. I mean, she verified literally everything and anything her sources told her, judging from the notes section, down to the name of the bar and what pictures were hanging in there at the time.

Wow.

Now I am reading this:

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I just finished Area 51 last night. The really good revelation, when I read it had me literally shout out loud "HOLY ****".

And here's the thing...there is no reason to not believe what she said. First, she's a pretty well-established and respected journalist so there's no reason to think she'd risk that. But most important, because the book was so meticulously researched and so thorough, it also wouldn't be consistent that she would just throw this in there if it wasn't true. I mean, she verified literally everything and anything her sources told her, judging from the notes section, down to the name of the bar and what pictures were hanging in there at the time.

Wow.

Are you talking about Area 51: An Uncensored History of America's Top Secret Military Base?

Because that book has been bashed pretty thoroughly for being full of errors, which is why I skipped reading it.

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scholars are notorious for heavily researched, correctly referenced, totally wrong books.

Though I hadn't heard that about Area 51, in particular.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yeah. IDK dude, considering there is about 40 pages of annotation, I doubt how wrong it could be.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...-military-base/2011/05/26/AGIZPLIH_story.html

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/1852/1

http://www.washingtondecoded.com/site/2011/07/area51.html

Many other reviews also cite the book's errors. I'm not saying these reviewers are necessarily correct, but I'd be far more critical of what you've read than you seem to be, when there are so many people who are questioning the veracity of her statements.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sun Tzu - The Art Of War & J M G Le Clezio - Désert

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dwayne Day, the writer of the second review is someone you can trust.

But note how he goes after the crazy story
Jacobsen claims that children, perhaps as young as 13 years old and genetically or surgically altered by Nazi doctor Joseph Mengele, flew a Nazi “flying disk” into the United States as part of a plan by Joseph Stalin to cause mass panic of an alien invasion.
which is indeed loony. Beyond loony.

What I've read about Area 51 is that, other than that howler, her stuff isn't too bad. Even a blog on Aviation Week, spending most of its time laughing about the howler, doesn't think the rest of it is as crazy as that.

Admittedly, after reading that story, its hard to take the rest of it seriously.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

http://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...-military-base/2011/05/26/AGIZPLIH_story.html

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/1852/1

http://www.washingtondecoded.com/site/2011/07/area51.html

Many other reviews also cite the book's errors. I'm not saying these reviewers are necessarily correct, but I'd be far more critical of what you've read than you seem to be, when there are so many people who are questioning the veracity of her statements.

Well considering
A) I hadn't heard of (or sought) the critiques
B) I have no way of knowing off hand what she says is right or wrong I kind of have to defer to her.
C) I read it to be entertained, nothing else, and I was.

Plus considering Area 51 doesn't officially exist, by writing about it she is inherently incorrect, if you want to be truly technical/pedantic.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I read the first two reviews and they are kinda weak in a way. I mean, as I said, at least with this book I don't really care that much but it may help if you say it is error-laden to at least identify more than one error. Of course that one error is a big one but the point is if it is that bad, you should spend more time debunking the book as a whole, and considering most of her effort and work (about 95% of the book) is on the first 30 years of Area 51, that's something major to completely ignore. Also, I love the line she says the book is well-sourced "it isn't" with no further explanation.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently purchased a favorite series I read when I was younger, Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. Bunch of short entertaining horror stories. By far the best part was the illustrations, anyone remember these?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads