• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

Blog Marley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just finished The Way Home by George Pelecanos. I didn't think it was as strong as the Night Gardener.

Any recommendations for a new book? I've read Drama City and the two above mentioned novels by Pelecanos and would be open to any other books by him. Despite being thought provoking finishing Hayek's the Road to Serfdom seems very taxing.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nananine
ehxclu.jpg

I see "as powerful as The Windup Bird Chronicle" on the cover. I personally didn't think so. Nevertheless a good read, Murakami doesn't really disappoint.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
Nice short read.
smile.gif

kafka-the-metamorphosis.jpg

Is this a collection of some of Kafka's short stories or just that one story? It is a great one, loaded with almost too much content, well deserving of its classic status.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Pun
Borrowing the Satanic Bible from GF. (don't ask) I've always been taught that satanism is wrong, but never why it is. Don't expect me to convert though.

Almost afraid to ask why you would expect or need to be taught why satanism is wrong. If you don't have that understanding in your core, you're probably a little Lucifer.

Here is however a damn entertaining thingy, all about satanism and the four musketeers:

Arturo Perez-Reverte - The Club Dumas

51QFga88jVL__SS500_.jpg

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clockwise
Is this a collection of some of Kafka's short stories or just that one story? It is a great one, loaded with almost too much content, well deserving of its classic status.

Just the one story.

jesask

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Need a recommendation. Looking for some kind of gritty, atmospheric, not-modern-day detective or spy novel. Gotta be well-written and not overly dense. Also, it can't be Chandler, Hammett or Le Carre.

Look at Alan Furst's espionage novels set in the 30s and 40s. I would start with Night Soldiers.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jesask
Look at Alan Furst's espionage novels set in the 30s and 40s. I would start with Night Soldiers.
Good call, I was going to suggest Furst. Other good choices would include Phillip Kerr's Bernie Gunther novels, pretty much anything by Eric Ambler, or maybe Olen Steinhauer's Emil Brod series. Also, I recall really liking William Burgess' Tremor of Intent, his one foray into the genre. But then, I enjoyed pretty much everything he wrote.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just Finished Kiss of the Spiderwoman by argentine author Manuel Puig. A truly beautiful story about the relationship between two prisoners in an argentine jail. There is a lot of content for the sartorially inclined as one of the protagonists(yes there are two) was a window dresser for argentine clothing stores. All in all it was a wonderful book, I highly recommend!

Nananine

Reaction score
I see "as powerful as The Windup Bird Chronicle" on the cover. I personally didn't think so. Nevertheless a good read, Murakami doesn't really disappoint.
It's the Chicago Tribune, they have a sociopath as a recruiter and turn their noses up at THEIR OWN interns. Almost forgot, prior to Kafka on the Shore:
w0g786.jpg
And it was AMAZING

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jesask

Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Good call, I was going to suggest Furst. Other good choices would include Phillip Kerr's Bernie Gunther novels, pretty much anything by Eric Ambler, or maybe Olen Steinhauer's Emil Brod series.

Also, I recall really liking William Burgess' Tremor of Intent, his one foray into the genre. But then, I enjoyed pretty much everything he wrote.

Thanks, will check them out.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
Almost afraid to ask why you would expect or need to be taught why satanism is wrong. If you don't have that understanding in your core, you're probably a little Lucifer.
It isn't really wrong especially in its modern secular philosophy form created by Anton Lavey. I just wonder why he had to call it Satanism. Probably shock value or easy marketing.

swaggerisaliability

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
I've read some of Snowball, but I don't know why I stopped reading it. Really fascinating look into Buffet's psyche. I guess it was just the size of the book. LOL

Yea, it's tough to read it for long periods of time, especially when it rambles on and on about Buffett's childhood. I've decided to take a break from it and read this in the meantime:
the-alchemist2.jpg

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Man in the Iron Mask by Dumas

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.