• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the general consensus on the shelf life of vermouth once it's opened? I've heard anything from 2 weeks to 6 months if refrigerated.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Until it starts to taste bad. Honestly, I've stored bottles of vermouth (Carpano Antica Formula, for example) outside the fridge for a few months and they were still fine. Guess it's case-dependend, but I always store in the fridge now.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few IPAs and such. Mojito, Cuba Libre (Pampero blanco). Gavi di Gavi (Beni di Batasiolo).

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I suggest refrigeration also for vermouth and agree to just use it until you notice oxidation. I solve the problem by buying small bottles. The per ounce purchase price is more but I never end up tossing bad vermouth.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sidecar. My lucky cocktail, and my last until I finish the bar exam at the end of the week. Reviewing DUI law now. Fitting.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sidecar. My lucky cocktail, and my last until I finish the bar exam at the end of the week. Reviewing DUI law now. Fitting.

Good luck Huntsman! I just finished off mine yesterday. I sure did not make it through the week without a handful of drinks though!

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
noob checkin. I have a bottle of that angostura bitters, and a basic set of the major liquors. What do i do with this stuff?

oh, just drank a iced up glass of William Lawson. Terrible stuff. Well there was no peat really, but that's not the problem, it was sharp, harsh, even when watered down. Tasted too much like cheap corn distal or something. I know it's cheap, and Ralphy on Youtube like it, but I found it barely drinkable.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

noob checkin. I have a bottle of that angostura bitters, and a basic set of the major liquors. What do i do with this stuff?

Two basic recipes:
Old Fashioned - a small amount of simple syrup (or equal amounts sugar and water), 2 oz rye whisky, 2 dashes of bitters. I like to twist an orange peel over it at this point but usually toss it instead of adding it to the drink.

Manhattan - 2:1 ratio of rye to vermouth (some use 3:1) and 2 dashes of bitters.

Both of these can be made with bourbon but I prefer rye with them.

Last edited:

S-Town

Reaction score
My favorite use of the Angostura is with the Suffering Bastard. Have you had one? For me, it's my favorite "hair-of-the-dog" hangover drink. So much more enjoyable than a screwdriver or bloody mary.

In a shaker, put:
1 oz gin.
1 oz Brandy.
Half oz lime cordial.
3 or 4 dashes of the Angostura. Careful with this ****; it stains like a motherfucker!
3 or 4 big ice cubes.

Pour into a short glass, and top with about 4 ounces of ginger beer. Don't mess around with ginger ale; get ginger BEER.

It might take one or two to get the taste. But it can be changed up in so many ways with different gins and ginger beers. Bring some to an early morning tailgate shindig, and try to keep the ladies away.

S-Town

Reaction score
Nil's suggestions are good ones, but I prefer Bourbon over Rye. So, you should make a legit night of it and try 'em both with each.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
haaa, already looking at my booze pile for what's available. Closest thing I have is Makers, well I'll give it a shot (or two)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads