• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Finishing up a bottle of Port (Whisker's Blake, nothing special), something more creative to follow.

Enjoying port more and more these days. Mostly of the ruby variety if I have a choice. If tawny it has to be higher quality. Of my namesake, Meyer port is tasty: http://www.meyerfamilycellars.com/Port

Hoppy night...

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Two bottles of '89 Krug and a snifter each of lot 53 and lot 29 Tesseron shared with my wife and a friend. This is very expensive hangover.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, I'm seeking a little help. I've been tending bar 2 nights a week for a month now. It's been a really cool learning experience. I might post more about it later. Anywayzz.........

My friend is the bar manager and we are trying to build up the "cocktail cred" of this place. The beverage director is going to be leaving in a year and is on autopilot now. This person is well respected in the cocktail scene in Boston, but we just don't attract the cocktail crowd like the big name places do. My friend and I are going to make a good effort to establish a night or two of us drawing this crowd.

With that in mind we are trying to come up with a tiki menu to do once a week. I want to do 5 menu items in total to start. Thus far I have two.

Deconstred Grog
Beer, Water, Lemon, and Rum.
- Alright, I'm rather proud of this one. It has all the elements of a fart sniffing mixologist drink. In reality it is basically a shot and a beer/shandy.. Each element is presented completely separate from the other. 7 oz of beer, 7 oz of water, a lemon ice cube, and the rum. I think most people will shoot the rum and drink the beer separate, but when you combine all of the elements, minus the water, it actually taste pretty decent. Shows an understanding of what grog is. It is going to be priced low, around $5-$6 for each.

Sailor Bowl
Scorpion bowls are really popular here. This is just a simple play on that: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/scorpion-bowl/
We'll most likely add dry ice or something like that. It is kinda gimmicky, but that is half the fun of tiki menus.

So, I'm a bit stuck on the other three items. I don't have much experience with tiki cocktails and I don't have much experience for rum. That spirit really overwhelms me. One, I don't like it that much. Two, there is such a diversity in styles and locations of productions.

I want to incorporate fernet, punt e mes, and carpano antica into the remaining drinks. I'm going to get them to sponsor this event.

Can you guys help me out and point me to any good information?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Try this:

4 oz fresh squeezed OJ
2 oz white rum
2 oz amber rum
1 oz punt e mes
.5 oz orgeat
.5 oz pomegranate syrup

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Love you and **** brah but that deconstructed grog just sounds really silly and pointless.

Agreed- if this business/bar really wants to compete in cocktails at a time when cocktails are riding a serious wave of popularity- and frankly some damn-good creativity and quality, I wouldn't be poo-pooing true mixologists. Even if you're chasing a crowd who goes in for "gimmicks" you still need the substance to back it. up. Unless you are totally chasing after a tourist crowd and don't want customer loyalty.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i went to one of the shittiest bars ive ever been and they had no pbr.

jim beam isnt a bad choice i guess

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gin & Tonic. They mostly have Gordon's and Schweppes tonic water which makes for a decent G&T. Or so ****** as in they don't have either?

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

completely unrelated but what would you order at a really ****** bar?

Not a draft beer as their pipes will not be clean and it will not be chilled. I would order bottled beer and a shot of whisky.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glendronach 12 year, Aberfeldy 1991 by Gordon & MacPhail, and Talisker 10 year. Ended with some Pyrat Cask 1623 rum.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Try this:

4 oz fresh squeezed OJ
2 oz white rum
2 oz amber rum
1 oz punt e mes
.5 oz orgeat
.5 oz pomegranate syrup

Thanks, for this. I made a pomegranate syrup last night and came up with another drink. I've got to look through my notes, I'll post it.

The deconstructed grog is staying. I ran it by the beverage director and they love it.

I also came up with the idea of making a demerara rum, but having Dom Irrera as the official spokesman. We'd call it Dom Irrera's Demerara Rum.

Last edited:

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So these are popular at beach bars:

I'd like to do a baller version with a half bottle of champagne. I'm thinking gin based so it turns into a french 75.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads