• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are the stereotypes of New Jersey people?

gilwood

Reaction score
I was talking to some chick at a NY bar last night and I mentioned that I lived in New Jersey. She said that she wouldn't hold that against me and that I should feel lucky for that. I said thank you in a patronizing way, but I think she didn't pick up on that.

This thread also brings some of the hate to light:
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ey#post2262736

I didn't even realize that Governor Patterson hated New Jersey until I saw that hilarious SNL skit with Fred Armisen. I understand the Guido stereotype, but I think more guidos are from Long Island (Strong Island), Staten island, Bronx, etc. Overall, it appears there's a stereotype that the state is low-class, yet Princeton is one of the classiest places in the country. Morris County is also the richest county in the country. It's true there are many, many rude people in NJ. But I found that most of these people are out of towners that moved in and are bored with all the sudden free time they have. I've had many encounters with these people.

I find NJ to be ridiculously convenient. I for one live 12 minutes from work and have a 27 hole golf course across the street from my job. I wake up at 8:00 get to work at 8:30, I get out of work at 5:00 and tee off at 5:10. Other days, I play softball, etc. I also only pay about $1300 for rent in my one bedroom, but I feed ducks, rabbits, and deers from my deck which overlooks a lake. I also park right in front of my door at any time. There's plenty of parking for anyone. You can own 5 cars here with no problem. The funny thing is, I'm 12 miles from NYC and usually can go from my front door to being parked most places in NY in 30 minutes. I almost always beat my friends THAT LIVE in NY to any event , which is strange.

Actually, because of the incredible diversity of NJ, there is a wealth of great, cheap restaurants from all over the world. But you do have to trial a lot of these places to find those hidden gems. I know of several great thai, malaysian, columbian, ethiopian spots here. I'm pretty used to paying $10 for an entree and $3 for a beer.

There is some stinky areas near secaucus, but I can't understand how NYers can complain because they are sitting in apartments over streets that are in bumper to bumper traffic all day long. There are literally breathing exhaust a good part of the day.

The funny thing about that NY residing chick I met is that she went on and on about how intelligent she was. She also claimed that she was the VP of a bank. When I asked how Sarbane Oxley is affecting her, she didn't know what that was. When I asked her if she had been to a hot spot in NY, she responded "What do you think? I live in NY!". Later, she admitted that she hadn't been there. It seems like she was putting a lot of time and effort into her social status appearances.

Y'know, overall, I hate to defend NJ. It's not that great of a place. I just find it be pretty much like any other suburb of NY. I don't think it's worse or better than Queens or Westchester. There are good and bad points. Like any suburb, most of the intelligent people will move into the city center (Manhattan) and leave the outskirts with the leftovers. Later, they might move back after they get married to have a lawn to play with their kids on. Manhattaners do appear to be more ambitious than suburbians. Opinions?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The rest of the world is jealous at our awesomeness. Bottom line.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Vid takes about 30 seconds to get good.

Wildwood. It's different. Every night, it's different.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a few minutes from Wildwood:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Mblova

Reaction score
They usually think jersey is an armpit because they all come to our beaches in the summer, so all they see is all the new yorkers descend upon Belmar/LBI for the weekend and assume that the picture they are seeing, MUST be NJ. Granted they will either all move here or to CT in the next 10 years. But NYC will be SOOO much better and they had to settle for less....

Augustus Medici

Reaction score
I'm from Texas and have been a fanatic of The Sopranos since childhood. I recently had to go to New Brunswick to visit a client and had the worst stereotypes in mind (guidos, Heinekens and jaegerbomb skanks, GHB). Everybody I interacted with, from the people at the airport to waiters, bartenders, and everybody at the client site, were all incredibly friendly, great people. About as friendly or friendlier than most people I know in Dallas. The only thing I didn't like was how short the merge lanes are on I-95.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know good looking girls from NJ.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
I dont think we should be joking about New Jersey because Odoreater may hunt us down and beat the crap out of us.

(Pssst, I think this might be stereotypical Jersey behavior)

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
I dont think we should be joking about New Jersey because Odoreater may hunt us down and beat the crap out of us.

(Pssst, I think this might be stereotypical Jersey behavior)

We don't hunt people down and beat them up in New Jersey. People just disappear...

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I hear that everybody who has never left New Jersey thinks it is great.

Some guy, who apparently left New Jersey and went to a lot of different places, had this to say:

spent 20 years trying to get out of this place
I was looking for something I couldn't replace
I was running away from the only thing I've ever known
Like a blind dog without a bone
I was a gypsy lost in the twilight zone
I hijacked a rainbow and crashed into a pot of gold
I been there, done that and I ain't lookin' back on the seeds I've sown,
Saving dimes, spending too much time on the telephone
Who says you can't go home

Who says you can't go home
There's only one place they call me one of their own
Just a hometown boy, born a rolling stone, who says you can't go home
Who says you can't go back, been all around the world and as a matter of fact
There's only one place left I want to go, who says you can't go home
It's alright, it's alright, it's alright, it's alright, its alright

I went as far as I could, I tried to find a new face
There isn't one of these lines that I would erase
I lived a million miles of memories on that road
With every step I take I know that I'm not alone
You take the home from the boy, but not the boy from his home
These are my streets, the only life I've ever known,
who says you can't go home

I been there, done that and I ain't looking that
It's been a long long road
Feels like I never left, that's how the story goes

It doesn't matter where you are, it doesn't matter where you go
If it's a million miles aways or just a mile up the road
Take it in, take it with you when you go,
who says you can't go home

It's alright, it's alright, it's alright, it's alright, its alright
Who says you can't go home [x2]

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Vid takes about 30 seconds to get good.

Wildwood. It's different. Every night, it's different.

Some of those girls are gorgeous.
inlove.gif

What's with the Eric Glennie cutoff-shoulder jobbies some of them are wearing?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics