• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

weight gain vs clothes size

Unbreakable

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kajak
Suck it up. GOMADs not unhealthy. Sat fat -> testosterone. Same with cholesterol. Now, if you're worried about reacting to that much milk and becoming lactose intolerant, build up to it slowly

nod[1].gif

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now, drinking a gallon of milk a day for the rest of your life wouldn't be too great. But if you're just doing it for a month? Hell, the Supersize Me guy ate McDicks for a month and was fine afterwards. Milk is actually good for you, so its fine (just highly caloric).

Petrus1

Reaction score
musicguy;3825555 said:
Crazy advice in this thread. Petrus1 doesn't know what he's talking about.

I'm 6'2" and just under 160lbs. I wear a medium. I have pretty narrow shoulders and I don't really work out. Still, even if I were toned, a small at my height/weight would look stupid. A large even if I were broader would look bad also.

Not a real large. People are so fat in the US that the sizes have been vanity adjusted. 20 yrs ago you would be a large and maybe even an x-large for your height.
It also depends on the maker. Most companies (to save money) cut a 4" difference in sizes so that a medium may be a 40 while a large is a 44. Lacoste cuts their shirts with a 1.5" difference in sizes so that a 4(small) is like a 40 while a med is 41.5 amd a large is about a 42-43. Then they also have slim and slimmer cuts so you can get a much closer fit than say something made by Polo.
And yes, you're correct just try it on and ignore the label. The average female yrs ago may have worn a size 12 but today that's a ******** size.

Petrus1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
I was 5'11 145 and a small. After about 6 months of gymming, I'm up to 155 and can't fit in most S buttondowns or sweaters.

It's your shoulders, you would look like you were wearing kid's clothes in a small. Suits, shirts etc must be fitted to the shoulders. If your waist is slim then you find a model shirt that is cut slim but has the correct shoulder width. Try to fit into a small where the shoulders are too narrow just looks stupid.

Thebomb85019

Reaction score
I am 6 feet and 160-165 lbs and can still fit in a small depending on brand. I sport a 39 inch chest so I am a large small or a small medium in most brands.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Petrus1
It's your shoulders, you would look like you were wearing kid's clothes in a small. Suits, shirts etc must be fitted to the shoulders. If your waist is slim then you find a model shirt that is cut slim but has the correct shoulder width. Try to fit into a small where the shoulders are too narrow just looks stupid.

p2p measurement sometimes too.

not_a_virus.exe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stinger70
Im 6'1 and was 135lbs, in 2 weeks ive got up to 138lb, i've set out a pretty good diet plan to eat more regularly and better foods, and intend to reach 160lb eventually. Im doing mainly push ups because i want the weight on my chest and shoulders mostly. What i want to know is will that extra 25lb change my clothes size? I currently wear a small in almost everything. Will i need a medium at 160, because it doesnt seem like a lot of gain when spread over your body but at the same time it has to go somewhere so im wondering if i should buy new clothes at a medium?
eh.gif

are you talking about weight gain or MUSCLE gain? gaining muscle alone will not affect your waist/hip size. well, technically, your waist could get slightly bigger if your lower back muscles also grow, and your abs could also slightly grow (how ab muscles grow, as opposed how they get stronger, is actually still not well understood), but that growth will be so slight and slow it's not really an issue. don't let anyone tell you that you need to bulk - that's a myth and all eating above BMR/RMR will do is just make you get fat, a.k.a. you develop a layer of fat all over your body, as well as increasing subcutaneous fat within and under your muscles. men also store most of their fat in their bellies (whereas with women, it's in their thighs). i made it a goal to get to six-pack body fat levels, and once i got there, i sold or altered all my pants and jeans since i knew i wouldn't get any smaller or bigger in the waist (at least by any significant margin).

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by not_a_virus.exe
all eating above BMR/RMR will do is just make you get fat

What the ****, dude, you need to shut the **** up.

stinger70

Reaction score
up to 140lb this morning, always weigh first thing after 'empyting' myself so i know ive gained another 2lb this week. Should be pushiing 150 by christmas. The only physical change ive noticed is a slight increase of chest muscles when i flex but thats more likely just the improved strength from the push ups ive been doing. Im only eating about 2750 calories (sometimes a fair bit more though) and just slowly gaining. No increase of belly fat, abs still showing strong. I think my body naturally wants to build a bit more muscle because id been starving myself of enough nutrients for years. I think im slowly growing towards my natural size, and aftre that i`ll probably have to push it a bit to keep gaining. I assume there is a point where my body reaches a stable size in relation to my diet, which is where it naturally wants to be.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What i want to know is will that extra 25lb change my clothes size?
Yes ... it will.

jepr

Reaction score
Im only eating about 2750 calories (sometimes a fair bit more though) and just slowly gaining.

2800 calories is a good amount for gaining. Don't feel like you need to go above it. If you want to gain faster you can go to 3000-3200 but you will of course lose definition. I'm a hard gainer and have never done a good job of bulking up so now I'm focusing on gaining and it's disappointing to see my abs disappear a little.

Everyone else is also correct in that you need to do some actual lifting if you want to make real gains. You can continue what you're doing but you are eventually going to plateau, and if you want to gain past that you should 1) google "starting strength," and 2) join a gym or get some weights off CL.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Petrus1
You will need a larger size and in fact at 6'1" you should be wearing a large even if you're slim (I'm assuming your're fully grown and not 20) Even if you weigh the same at 40 as you did at 20 you will still wear a larger size because your bones will just be bigger.
An overweight man when he loses 20-30 lbs loses the weight from around the middle and almost nothing from the chest so he can still wear the same size sportcoat(of course I'm not talking about some 300 pounder whose arms are fat and has man boobs)

This is so true. I am 6' and My weight goes from 185 - 210 and back on a three cycle (I can gain weight easy and lose it easy) I have taken to buy suits with one jacket and sets of pants - skinny ones and fat ones, the jacket can be taken on out in the waist but my chest stays about the same. pants on the other hand can do the 30lb shift.

Of course once every few years I decide to the hit the weights and put some more muscle on and that really screws things up.

supermidget

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hastur
You aren't going to gain 25lbs of lean mass doing pushups and situps. If you want to put on that kind of weight you're going to have to join a gym =)

my thoughts exactly. at a certain point, (sometime soon) the pushups are gonna reach their limit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads