• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding registry help - need recs on the finer things!

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So we just got home from our first time adding stuff to our registry at William Sonoma. Added a bunch of nice things, but what we don't know much about are the stemware, barware, china, etc. I know some of you are quite familiar with some of more high-end brands and I would really like your input and suggestions. We're also going to register at Pottery Barn and Bloomingdales, if that helps. Also open to any other stores as well - we're in DC so have access to most stores.

Thank you!

Here is what we chose:

Stemware:
Riedel Vinum, Bordeaux, Chardonnay, and Champagne glasses

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/9414350/?registryId=2857745&fromrgl=1

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/9414251/?registryId=2857745&fromrgl=1

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/5449608/?registryId=2857745&fromrgl=1

Barware:
Dorset Crystal Double Old-fashioned

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/9395658/?registryId=2857745&fromrgl=1
Highball

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/9395716/?registryId=2857745&fromrgl=1
Martini

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/9710872/?registryId=2857745&fromrgl=1
Also an icebucket, shaker, and decanter in the same style.

We didn't register for China just yet, because we have differing opinions on what looks good. I like extremely simple china with may a little edge of color, she likes more elaborate patterns. I've learned that all that color tends to make food look like crap. If anyone has a type that they are very fond of, please post it. I like this plate that Matt has:

Lastly, I chose a few pans I thought would be nice and not too obnoxious to ask for, but I'd like the input of some of the resident kitchen all-stars if these are good choices or not. We have some decent stuff already, so I kept this a bit limited to not ask for too much.

All-Clad d5 Stainless-Steel Nonstick Covered French Skillet with Flat Lid, 13" - Need/want a new non-stick pan. Is this the right line of All-clad to get? I was looking at the Copper-core one as well, but couldn't really see a difference.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/3404563/?registryId=2857745&fromrgl=1

All-Clad d5 Stainless-Steel Nonstick Omelette Pan, 9" - wanted a smaller non-stick pan, mostly for cooking eggs. I liked the low sides on this pan - it can be difficult to get a spatula in a smaller pan with high sides.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/2359495/?registryId=2857745&fromrgl=1

de Buyer Carbon Steel Mineral Fry Pan, 12" - I've wanted one of these for a while and just haven't pulled the trigger.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/2721827/?registryId=2857745&fromrgl=1

All-Clad Stainless Steel Multipot with Mesh Inserts, 12-Qt. - Future wife really liked this.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...with-mesh-insert/?pkey=cstock-soup-multi-pots

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Riedel is nice, but note they're delicate. I'd suggest Schott Zwiesel from WS for their durability.

You should register for a Vita Mix.

Bloomies has some really good china options, we registered there solely because they have Bernardaud.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Riedel is nice, but note they're delicate. I'd suggest Schott Zwiesel from WS for their durability.

Bloomies has some really good china options, we registered there solely because they have Bernardaud.

or a thermomix

also not a fan of the martini glass

Last edited:

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Vitamix got shot down by the finance. I tried to explain the awesomeness, but no dice. I'll take a look at the Schott Zwiesel.

or a thermomix

also not a fan of the martini glass

Now that you mention it, I'm not either. We just added it so it would match all the rest of the barware. I liked the other glasses though, they have a really nice heft and will look very nice with a little whiskey in the bottom. What about these that match our stemware?

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody else have some thoughts?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That plate was probably discontinued almost 50 years ago. I generally prefer KPM for modern stuff over the French makers.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
spieglau and riedel both make martini glasses. lips on the riedel ones are decently thin which makes for a nice experience. dunno about spieglau, but would imagine they're the same, but cheaper

i dont think cut glassware works for anything except for old fashioned glasses. it looks odd with highballs, but prolly a personal preference.

if you drink scotch or bourbon glencairn glasses are nice. snifters or tulip glasses for beer is also nice to have.

Last edited:

kuslamb

Reaction score
When we registered, we were straight out of college. We needed everything. We found that buying in set was best in terms of price, but felt strange asking someone to buy us a $1,200 set of pots and pans. Same with knives. So, we registered for them individually, and ended up getting most of what we wanted in the full set. We then took it all back in pieces, and subbed out for the full set. On the knives we came out ahead, but on the pots and pans, we owed a little, which was fine because we received several gift cards (you will too).

For china, we went with Arte Italica's Tuscan line. Specifically, http://www.arteitalica.com/dinnerware/tuscan.asp, and we really like it. It is not super formal, but is still extremely high quality. It sounds like it is something you would like as you mentioned white with a simple border. These plates are white with a medium thickness pewter boarder. We use them every day, handwashing (which isn't too bad as its just my wife and I - 16 month old doesn't get these yet).

Oh, and finally, good luck trying to figure out how to store the 13 silver trays you will end up getting that you didn't register, taking into account their varying shapes and thicknesses. Additionally, good luck finding a store to return them even if they carry the brand because you will likely not have a receipt.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

spieglau and riedel both make martini glasses. lips on the riedel ones are decently thin which makes for a nice experience. dunno about spieglau, but would imagine they're the same, but cheaper

I've smashed Reidel glasses, and you feel like you just dropped a $20 down the sewer. I don't have experience with Spiegelau, but I recently checked them out at a restaurant supply showroom. They have a very nice lip on them, are a bit thicker than the Vinums, and are half the price. Trust me, you WILL break them eventually, and you won't have a gift registry to replace them.

IMO you're going overboard with the matching. There's no reason to match glassware across types, and buy all the coordinating accessories (shaker, decanter, ice bucket). It's kind of like matching your PS and tie and socks.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ I agree with you man, plus I feel certain brands fulfill the requirements for types of glasses better than other brands - I really like my Schott Zweisel stuff, drinking from one now actually. Every single Zweisel I've had has resisted breakage, and I've dropped some even (not from height)... Riedels break if you breathe on them.

I have some Spieglaus, I don't know if they're as hard tempered, but they're definitely thicker, pretty durable - and you can always get them pretty cheap. Look on ebay for Spiegelaus, I think in the future I'll only ever give Spigelaus to guests.

Barware though, completely different. I think novelty shapes are really better for some cocktail glasses, and then standby old fashioned tumblers and highballs should be decent lead crystal. Cocktails are supposed to be fun and a little surprising, not prescribed by the Williams-Sonoma catalog.

Last edited:

Sazerac

Reaction score
I'll probably get hell from the wine snobs for this, but consider throwing in a few of the stemless Riedel glasses. They're perfect for everyday use with a cheap red when you're home with the wife. They're not expensive and have lived through countless dishwasher cycles.

I collect antique glassware and barware, btw, and of all the glasses I own -- and I own a lot -- the stemless Riedels are the ones that get the most mileage. If you're popping open an 82 Rothschild, use something else -- but for that $18 malbec, why not?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member