• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Dress code: "No Jeans"

Quarmac

Reaction score
I'm attending a suburban wedding in September. I hate trying to interpret dress codes and the only guidelines I've been given is "no jeans" Is this too formal? Too casual? I'm almost feeling as if I should pack a second shirt and a couple ties, just in case.

Last edited:

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They said "No Jeans". Since you are not wearing Jeans, I believe you have succeeded. If you are really in doubt, call the bride or a bridesmaid and ask, they will be happy to tell you if you are appropriate or not.

Macallan

Reaction score
If you plan to wear the above, you should also pack a light shirt, dark trousers, a few ties.

You can probably get-away with what you have; however, my suggestions would be more conservative:
I. medium/dark grey trousers with brown jacket, light blue shirt, navy tie
or
II. navy trousers with grey or brown jacket, light blue or striped white shirt, navy or grey tie

I have been to three weddings this year and the dresscode of the main wedding guests has varied from: everyone suited-and-booted, some men in jeans and sports jacket, and a second-cousin (in mid-30's) turning up in Addias sport shoes and tracksuit bottoms.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose you have succeeded in that you are not wearing jeans. But it seems a little sad for what is more-or-less a summer wedding. I particularly dislike the shirt and pocket square which look grey on my monitor. Why not brighten things up a bit?

Also, your pic does not conform to SF standards. WAYWRN pics are supposed to be taken in a bathroom, preferably a public one, with one arm raised over your head to hold the camera. You're new here so I'll overlook it this time, but please try and do better in future.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
why try to dress as 'low' as possible? look at this as an opportunity to shine. Do something like solid biz casual with a bit of flair...

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm attending a suburban wedding in September. I hate trying to interpret dress codes and the only guidelines I've been given is "no jeans" Is this too formal? To casual? I'm almost feeling as if I should pack a second shirt and a couple ties, just in case.

The colors are a little one-note and drab. No wonder you look so bored in your picture. I lighter shirt would help tremendously

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A smile will also make things better

Quarmac

Reaction score
Also, your pic does not conform to SF standards. WAYWRN pics are supposed to be taken in a bathroom, preferably a public one, with one arm raised over your head to hold the camera. You're new here so I'll overlook it this time, but please try and do better in future.
Surely you jest?

TGOL

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A madras bowtie with that shirt? Any tie with that shirt will make you look like a suburban used car salesman. Madras is probably also wrong for that jacket, even with an appropriate shirt.

TGOL

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

No, I wouldn't wear the bowtie with the chambray. That would be a little odd.

Oh, is that chambray? I thought it was like one of those grayish Express-type shirts. I respect you more now. I still think the jacket is a little too fall/winter for madras, though.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about some light gray slacks, a white shirt, and a dark jacket? Well dressed but not over the top, and you can have a tie/bow tie handy.

Or you could even go in a light gray or khaki suit with a white shirt and no tie. Either way, you'll in all likelihood be better dressed than the vast majority in attendance, especially if the dress code is "no jeans".

Last edited:

hugh51271

Reaction score
Dress as sharp as you can. You will look the best, the women will adore you (great if you are into women of course) and you can not fail.

Who cares what the guys in over sized chinos and crap shoes think. The fact they mention what you're wearing will mean they have noticed. If another scruff turns up they won't bat an eyelid.

Never dress down because everyone else may do. It leads to a downward spiral and you'll get lazy. Jeans and running shoes await the lazy.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads