• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a suit with suspenders to a nightclub

Saltricks

Reaction score
reminds me of this

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

PoundSand

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Talleyrand
Try getting into the Edison on Saturday night with "jeans and kicks" and let me know how that works out for you
wink.gif

The Edison isn't what I would consider a 'club'- more of a 'lounge.' Lounges are indeed much more likely to enforce a dress code.

negusnegas

Reaction score
Talleyrand take it easy with the condescension. My first impression is that you are a bit of a pugnacious old man. However, I am partially intrigued because you speak with such authority that I am beginning to be intrigued and would like to know which nightclubs have gained your patronage.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think if you need to ask whether you should or should not wear braces, you currently don't have the attitude to wear them in a nightclub.

Someone with a great deal of individual style, like Label King or the young chap who dresses very 1920s are the kind of attitude I mean.

Re the actual idea itself - there would be a lot worse things than starting a "trend" of men wearing suits on nights out again.

In England there is now Chap culture, where everyone dresses wearing braces, tweeds, hats, Savile Row (if they can afford or thrift it). The women dress very elegantly. I think this is a great sub culture.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The reason there's so much douchbaggery in this thread is because of failing to recogize one simple sartorial truth: you can wear anything you wish, with or without....under one condition only. You must have the cojones to pull it off. Those who don't ask for other people's opinions or resort to snark

HPress

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Except I doubt the OP is actually going to a 'hip' club, or one that actually plays any decent music. It sounds like he's going to one of these places that massively overprices everything and institutes dress-codes in an effort to produce an illusion of exclusivity to appeal to the tasteless nouveau riche. The sort of place where wannabes go and ***** their entire months wages on overpriced champagne in a desperate effort to make themselves feel like they're special by way of tenuous association with a few of the Z-list celebrities who occasionally visit the same club.
Ahhh... all the pretension that can be avoided by only going to a strictly goth/fetish club.
laugh.gif

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
It is true...

It is more who you're than what you're wearing...

I guess it can be, but OP's not a celebrity, he's a student.

Originally Posted by Eason
The kind of person who would premeditatively wear a suit with suspenders to a nightclub is not the kind of person who can wear a suit with suspenders to a nightclub.

As opposed to the person who wears suspenders on accident?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Braces, properly worn, are seen about as much as your underwear.

So, just as you could wear satin tiger-stripe boxers to the club without anyone noticing (unless you specifically showed them, that is), you could wear braces.

jaymanjones

Reaction score
Thought I'd update this thread with my first experience wearing braces in a nightclub. Most of you won't care, but then again, I don't care that you don't care...so who cares right??

Anyway, I wore a 2-piece single-breasted navy suit last night, light blue spread collar shirt, and a blue tie. Complemented it with a nice pocket square, and obviously the braces. I tried to make the outfit look as less "businessy" as possible by wearing a rather "funky" Tom Ford tie and a diamond watch. Didn't look too bad...

What did people think?? Nice things... I got a lot of compliments from the club staff ranging from "Hey hey Wall Street 2 eh?? Niceee!!" to "You're gonna **** so much more dressed like this". One of the table managers even came up to me and said "I'm going to steal your style now". Word.

The club manager asked me why I dressed so smart lately and said I looked so "brad pittish" and the cashier lady in the kitchen said "this boy knows how to dress, you should all learn from him"...

But most importantly, I thought that I looked cool and that's all that mattered. Did I feel uncomfortable or out of place? No. Did the gals dig it? Ya they dug it. My friends were the only ones to be like "Haha you're so gay" but they're marsupialed so who cares...

So yeah, that was my 2 pence right there, so like if anyone out there wants to hit up a club in a formal suit, then ******* go with it, you won't regret it...It's totally rad...

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaymanjones
Thought I'd update this thread with my first experience wearing braces in a nightclub. Most of you won't care, but then again, I don't care that you don't care...so who cares right??

Anyway, I wore a 2-piece single-breasted navy suit last night, light blue spread collar shirt, and a blue tie. Complemented it with a nice pocket square, and obviously the braces. I tried to make the outfit look as less "businessy" as possible by wearing a rather "funky" Tom Ford tie and a diamond watch. Didn't look too bad...

What did people think?? Nice things... I got a lot of compliments from the club staff ranging from "Hey hey Wall Street 2 eh?? Niceee!!" to "You're gonna **** so much more dressed like this". One of the table managers even came up to me and said "I'm going to steal your style now". Word.

The club manager asked me why I dressed so smart lately and said I looked so "brad pittish" and the cashier lady in the kitchen said "this boy knows how to dress, you should all learn from him"...

But most importantly, I thought that I looked cool and that's all that mattered. Did I feel uncomfortable or out of place? No. Did the gals dig it? Ya they dug it. My friends were the only ones to be like "Haha you're so gay" but they're marsupialed so who cares...

So yeah, that was my 2 pence right there, so like if anyone out there wants to hit up a club in a formal suit, then ******* go with it, you won't regret it...It's totally rad...

Did you then proceed to spend upwards of 2K and act all modest about it?

jaymanjones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Sounds like a really classy establishment.

Hmmmm...so what do you say to your 'mates'?? "You shall be fornicating so much more with young dames old chap"?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by detroiter
its always people who dont wear suits to work that wear them to the club.

True.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Dumb thread should be moved to Dumb Threads.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads