• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Walking shoes

masqueofhastur

Reaction score
Only pair of NBs I've worn caused me incredible foot pain. Not sure what the reason was there, but I've been wary of touching them since.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by masqueofhastur
Only pair of NBs I've worn caused me incredible foot pain. Not sure what the reason was there, but I've been wary of touching them since.

Interestingly enough, my MD spoke disparagingly of Adidas "They're no good," and those are what seemed to work for you. Just shows how relative it all is.

masqueofhastur

Reaction score
He might only have experience with their regular shoes. I find very few shoes that are like wrestling shoes, closest shoes are street racing shoes. I haven't found regular Adidas to be particularly noteworthy in any way.

mell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SimonC
Whilst I've got a captive audience:

I walk a lot, generally in leather soled shoes (i.e. I'll go out walking in the city for an hour at lunch rather than sitting at my desk, and I'll walk two miles each way to a shop rather than cycling / driving / public transport).

Given I wear soles out, I was thinking of getting a pair of C&J Dainite soled shoes for casual wear. Can anyone comment on the relative comfort of these compared to either a conventional leather-soled shoe, and compared to some of the shoes discussed above (Mephisto etc)? My thanks in advance.

I wear Edward Green, Lobbs and Crocketts exclusively. I have several pair of Crocketts with the Dainite sole but as comfortable as they are, day in and day out, they aren't walking shoes. Dress shoes, no matter what brand, just aren't made for walking. The Crocketts I wear with the dainite sole are the Onslow, Prembroke and Grassmere models. All country shoes and all are more comfortable than you can imagine, still, no walking shoe.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Really? I wear nothing but New Balance nowadays. Nike never fit me right and are overpriced, Reeboks are okay but overpriced, Asics didn't feel right to me (thought not bad), and Saucony tends to be very good but loose in the heel. I've had a lot of athletic shoes (remember: I used to get them at cost!), and NB are the ones that work best for me.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
Interestingly enough, my MD spoke disparagingly of Adidas "They're no good," and those are what seemed to work for you. Just shows how relative it all is.

On what is this based? Runner's World tends to be quite fond of many Adidas models, and these are people who run upwards of two hours per day. (I, on the other hand, do no such thing!)

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be forewarned, New Balance tends to run wide. Saucony runs even wider. Teacher's anecdote about poorly fitting Nike's, and the great fit of New Balance runs exactly opposite to my experiences--I have a medium-narrow foot with low instep, so Nike provides an ideal shoe for my foot.

Instead of purchasing Mephisto, I highly recommend Ecco as a mid-priced alternative. They are routinely offered on STP for less than $100, and appear at places like DSW and Filene's Basement. Their Cross walker is a particular favorite, and Ill wear them for sight seeing, heavy walking days, etc.

I agree about C&J not being designed for more than 5-10 mile days. The dainite soles are easier on the feet than the full leather, but still not as comfortable as trainers or "comfort" shoes.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
Be forewarned, New Balance tends to run wide. Saucony runs even wider. Teacher's anecdote about poorly fitting Nike's, and the great fit of New Balance runs exactly opposite to my experiences--I have a medium-narrow foot with low instep, so Nike provides an ideal shoe for my foot.

Yup, that's why NB fits me well but Nike generally does not.

masqueofhastur

Reaction score
I talked to my chiropractor today, he said in my case because I don't have arch problems, I need shoes with some longitudinal support and where my heel won't move around much, it seems that considering that, most shoes should be fine. I would assume that finding a good chiropractor or physiotherapist who can look at these things (and doesn't make money selling shoes or shoe inserts) and give advice would be the best thing.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I talked to my chiropractor today, he said in my case because I don't have arch problems, I need shoes with some longitudinal support and where my heel won't move around much, it seems that considering that, most shoes should be fine. I would assume that finding a good chiropractor or physiotherapist who can look at these things (and doesn't make money selling shoes or shoe inserts) and give advice would be the best thing.

The main reason I bought my Reebok Rain Walkers is because they are made so that the ankle does not move around when walking. Combined with significantly greater cushion compared to all the other brands, and the waterproof features, I still think this is best shoe for just walking.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
On what is this based? Runner's World tends to be quite fond of many Adidas models, and these are people who run upwards of two hours per day. (I, on the other hand, do no such thing!)

That was just my foot surgeon's opinion, not mine. I don't know on what he based his opinion.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
That was just my foot surgeon's opinion, not mine. I don't know on what he based his opinion.

I know...I wasn't attacking you. It's just that I've heard a couple of local podiotrists disparage one or two brands, and when we (the local, private shoe store I worked for at the time) pressed them for an answer, it was because they'd tried them and didn't like them! Good grief!
confused.gif

LeicaLad

Reaction score
Re: Commando Walkers

I would add my vote for New Balance, particularly the USA made 992 (and the predecessor 991). I've worn out about 1 pair a year over the past 5 years.

I've also made a habit of reading the annual Gear Reviews by the various outdoor and running magazines. Mostly, this reading is for entertainment, but I've always paid particular attention to their reviews of trail runners and light hikers. Not that I'm running that much on trails, but after I've short-listed all the top rated by what appeals to me, I hunt for discounts and sales.

My current example is a pair of Salomon GCS Pro trail runners I picked up last year on clearance. Top rated, one review called it "the ultimate running shoe for off-trail athletes seeking stability, comfort, and shock absorption."

What I can say is that it has been the best walking shoe, including both heavy concrete and off-trail hiking, I've had to date. Even better than the NB 992, and, on discount, I got it cheaper. My newest pair of 992s have practically zero wear because these have proven extremely comfy for the serious walking in my life.

A little homework in scouring reviews is not only fun, but very useful.

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mell
I wear Edward Green, Lobbs and Crocketts exclusively. I have several pair of Crocketts with the Dainite sole but as comfortable as they are, day in and day out, they aren't walking shoes. Dress shoes, no matter what brand, just aren't made for walking. The Crocketts I wear with the dainite sole are the Onslow, Prembroke and Grassmere models. All country shoes and all are more comfortable than you can imagine, still, no walking shoe.

Before all these comfort sport shoes came into being if you wanted to walk you used all leather shoes. They work pefectly well for this purpose but obviously a good fit is helpful. A leather soled shoe if worn every day will eventually mold itself to your foot and wind up being very comfortable even if somewhat poor fitting in the beginning. I know this as nearly everybody in the 50's wore all leather shoes.

I have a few CHEAP all leather shoes from this time period with no brand name that are as comfortable as any sport walking shoes I have ever worn. The fit on these shoes is perfect such that I could go hiking with them if need be. How about that!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads