• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vw Gti

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Yea I know. I immediately noticed the stiffness of the GTI before even getting out of the parking lot. I didn't find it uncomfortable though. I really did like it but I'm not a fan of the A3. Nothing against them but just don't want one. Like I said, if I went with Audi it would be an A4 Avant. I'd keep the GTI stock height and go with 17's, and probably 16" steelies with winter tires. Maybe do an AWE stage 2 kit eventually but it had plenty of power and torque for me.

jpo

Reaction score
I'll throw my 2 pennies out there as I've been looking at 2012 Gti's and I'm about to pull the trigger on one. I'm coming from an 02 bmw 325i and I love the Gti. I was concerned for a minute about the boy racer image, but I think that was just a quick worry when I actually realized I wanted to buy one. It is a very well built, solid and refined car. This is coming from the perspective of a bmw 325i as my current car. It handles quite impressively as I have rear wheel drive and love that feel, but the gti does not feel front-drive at all. I guess that electronic differential helps. It really is fast. Compared to a 6 (straight or V) you do have to put your foot into it a bit to get a good piece of torque, but only at the very lowest rpms. Once you're at 2k it's lots of available power and thrust. The seats are basically recaros without the name stitched on them. They are fantastic seats. They blow away the seats in my bimmer, which i've always hated. Anyway, I'm probably making a move on one soon, so I thought I'd share my thoughts. Good luck!

Last edited:

alexei

Reaction score
I'm 30 and drive a basically stock GTI, 2010 in shadow blue metallic. It's a great car and really well built; everything has a great fit and finish to it. I've had no problems during my ownership. What I will say is that even I (not a "fanboy" - I hate that word) despise 4-door GTI's. I know it's already been mentioned that looks are subjective, but there's just something about the GTI that everyone knows it should not have four doors! The "fanboys" know it and frown on someone who comes to their forums with a 4-door GTI and tries to mod it and even I look at them and say to myself, "What is VW thinking?" when I meet one on the road. Think of a 370Z (maybe not in the same league, although auto magazines regularly compare them) or a MINI Cooper with four doors (okay, four real doors on the latter). I implore you if you need four doors, buy something else. Otherwise....

• Not good in snow obviously.
  • I preferred Interlagos seats instead of leather. (I've been a fan of plaid since a boy.) You can get heated either way.
  • Stereo sound is not great, although features are nice (also assuming even more colorful touchscreen from Passat will be in 2012 or 2013 GTI?).
  • Amazing storage for the size of the car.
  • Dark paint chips surprisingly easily and is a common complaint. (probably all colors)
  • Stock Pirelli tires only last about 20,000 miles.
  • Obviously fun to drive.
  • It can be a very stiff ride w/ 18" wheels, especially if you're used to a luxury car or even a bland family sedan (think old, LeSabre Dyna-ride...)
  • 3 year, 36,000 warranty and convenience care ... I'm sure you've done that research, VW is great to you during that time.
  • In the past three months, I've had ~10 high school boys compliment me for my car... (saved that for the end because I don't know if that's a pro or con)

In my opinion.... GREAT CHOICE! I love it.

Last edited:

flashkobalt

Reaction score
I'm 30 and drive a black MKV GTI ... Best car I've owned so far. I initially wanted a manual transmission, but was only able to find the DSG ...now that I have it and am used to it, it's going to be hard to go back to the manual, especially in traffic.

I don't find the ride to be uncomfortable at all (coming from a Nissan family sedan), and really do think the suspension isn't really all that bone-jarring.

I must also respectfully disagree with the previous poster regarding the four-door option. I find the four-door body to look nicely balanced, and honestly having spoken to two friends who both have the two-door versions, am very happy to own the four. They both now wish for the practicality of the four door car...in fact, I think that might be their only complaint about their purchases...

I opted for the leather seats which are lovely, and, in my humble opinion a little more grown-up looking than the interlagos cloth. I also realise the historical significance of the plaid/tartan, but just really can't bring myself to like it...

The only small worry I have (and I think this is particular to Australia) is that the DSG transmission has been reported by more than a couple of owners to be an extremely expensive fix out of warranty, and failure of the unit is not unheard of. I guess the percentage of failures is probably more important, but just something to have in the back of your mind, especially when considering an extended warranty.

All up, I love my car, and would probably be an easy sell for the next model when I let this one go...

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm 30 and drive a basically stock GTI, 2010 in shadow blue metallic. It's a great car and really well built; everything has a great fit and finish to it. I've had no problems during my ownership. What I will say is that even I (not a "fanboy" - I hate that word) despise 4-door GTI's. I know it's already been mentioned that looks are subjective, but there's just something about the GTI that everyone knows it should not have four doors! The "fanboys" know it and frown on someone who comes to their forums with a 4-door GTI and tries to mod it and even I look at them and say to myself, "What is VW thinking?" when I meet one on the road. Think of a 370Z (maybe not in the same league, although auto magazines regularly compare them) or a MINI Cooper with four doors (okay, four real doors on the latter). I implore you if you need four doors, buy something else. Otherwise....

**** the fanboys.

The GTI has been made in 4-door variants since the MkI golf. Not sure how regularly it was available in America as a 4-dr before the MkV....but it has existed that way since before most of those fanboys were born.

alexei

Reaction score
You should also know that a very common complaint is that there is a new rattle about every couple months. When I say it is well built I mean the finish on everything seems high quality for the price. Buttons/dials/gauges/etc. are solid, fabric is nice, dash is nice, panels are nice, etc.

You can't forget, though, that you're buying a Golf - an economy car (albeit maybe an upper level one for many people) - with maybe $9,000 worth of upgrades to the engine, seats, stereo, body kit, suspension, wheels, comfort features, etc. That's not going to change the cheap build of most components like the Styrofoam under the seats and the plastic hatch or door components that rattle; search the forums for rattles and you'll find many complaints. This is something I pretty much overlook though as you expect it with a car having a stiff suspension.

Last edited:

flashkobalt

Reaction score
This is also true to a certain extent...Whilst the interior is nice and clean, with a good feel to everything, the plastics and trims are obviously not exactly top-tier stuff. I have to say the actual materials and build quality on my friend's Honda Accord Euro appears to be a level better than on the golf.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads