• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

prolonga

Reaction score
Hi all.
I'm from Italy and I'm here for a little help. I lost my vintage Shooter (early 70s) and I am on the market for a "new" pair.
Pls, do you think these glasses are genuine or fake? Are sold as 1972 (Shooter 62mm model)
Tks

20180728_124426.jpg

20180728_124448.jpg

20180728_124509.jpg

20180728_124526.jpg

20180728_124545.jpg

oosterling

Reaction score

_hank

Reaction score
Hi there. Are these authentic raybans or knock-off? I've found these caravans on ebay. There're no engravings B&L Ray-Ban USA on the bridge but the lenses have B&L letters.

2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

Rolfusa

Reaction score
I have several aviator frames, they all are 58 ambermatic B&L, I try to refurbish them with new ambermatic lenses, screws and earpieces, so far no luck to find a repair place, even harder to find the ambermatic lenses, any help out there

Rolfusa

Reaction score
I have a pair of I believe original 1878 ambermatic all weather sunglasses. There is no etching on the lens and it is stamped on the top of the frame. I also have the original case as well. They are in good shape with the only issue being the ear pieces being chewed up a bit and needing replaced. I am wanting to sell these. Here's some pics. Thanks and hope to hear from you soon

View attachment 1009748
How much

quneur

Reaction score
Hi, new member here. I found a pair of The General ray bans. Everything seems to be correct but it does not have the model number on the temple ear piece. I can't sell it until I can verify its not a fake (I can't wear it due I wear prescriptions and modifying it would be heretical). IT has quite a bit corrosion throughout but still very interesting.

20180806_183826.jpg

20180806_184205.jpg

20180806_183911.jpg

20180806_183955.jpg

BLRayBan

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I recently had an opportunity to acquire a very large vintage B&L Ray Ban Lens lot.

Anyone know what these 52mm lenses are called?

FullSizeRender-1.jpeg

mmafia1

Reaction score
Hi, new member here. I found a pair of The General ray bans. Everything seems to be correct but it does not have the model number on the temple ear piece. I can't sell it until I can verify its not a fake (I can't wear it due I wear prescriptions and modifying it would be heretical). IT has quite a bit corrosion throughout but still very interesting.

View attachment 1015140

View attachment 1015141

View attachment 1015142

View attachment 1015143

Yep all real. Not all models had the model number stamped in the ear piece.

Bosa

Reaction score
Hello wondered if you could help me identify my ray bans, they are wayfarers, have BL etched on both lenses but not sure on the numbers, would like to gauge a year if possible? Il add some pics

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

ice55

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a question about a pair of ray ban aviator. Some weeks ago I bought a pair of 70's aviator RB-3 lenses NOS. They were in their original cellophane envelope still to be opened, with inside the lite brown case and paper. They are engraved BL Ray Ban USA on the browbar and the lenses are etched with BL (in 4 parts) at 12. None engraving underneath and this looked quite strange for me. Somebody told me this means that the frame colour (gold plated?) is more thinner and easy to be scratched than those with browbar engraved underneath with the glasses size.
What is your opinion?
Thank you in advance for your answer.
F.

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Gents,

I recently acquired a pair of vintage pair of 90s BL Ray Ban aviators that I wanted to get your opinion on. They came with the original BL etched lenses that are the same color as the stock lenses for my RB 3026 Aviators. I recently ordered some new polarized lenses for my 3026 because the lenses were pretty scratched. Now I’d like to use them on my vintage frames.

My question is, what sort of lenses came stock on these back in the 90s? It’s very clear that the BL lenses are 1.5 to 2x as thick as the other lenses. Would it be an upgrade to put the polarized lenses in?

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads