• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not positive but I think they were made by Hanover -- vcleat.com says they were made primarily by Hanover. But, the "primarily" implies that others made them too. They are far superior to a pair of dexters and stafford that I have. They aren't as nice as florsheim. They do have the name thing (whatever its called) on the side. But, Hanover and Florsheim both did that (as well as AE and maybe others).

I don't know if the numbers inside will help. This is a good example of how sizes in different lasts fit differently. In Florsheim, I wear 11.5C most of the time. Sometimes an 11C. But, these are 11.5B. The AA heel fits the best of all my shoes once they are on. But, that heel is very narrow. I usually use a shoe horn, but with these, I have no choice. Once they are on, it is a nice snug fit -- in a good way.

View attachment 1026702 View attachment 1026703
I think the “name thing” is called a lable window. They started doing that because the previous practice of sewing the lable on top of the lining caused it to wear out after a fairly short while. In contrast, the lable window method made sure the brand was clearly visable for the lifetime of the shoe.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went thrifting and struggled about leaving this pair behind.

IMG_20180828_115438.jpg

IMG_20180828_115427.jpg

well-kept

Reaction score
Well, if you’re ever in NYC and want a taste of home, I have a cobbler whose wife is a perfect copy of what you described. The guy did good work (was especially good at fixing interior bits), but his wife was a total jerk and argued with me about everything.
Would that be Phil, on upper Madison Ave around 90th?

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1026729

View attachment 1026733
I have nothing. No quips, smartass comments, jokes about vomit. Nothing. Those shoes, are beyond all that.

They are offensively ugly. They’re so hideous, I can’t fathom the process that led to their creation. I would have bought them just to ensure they were thrown in a dumpster fire.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm really surprised to see so little votes for Mr. Fu's shoes, considering the effort and final output seasoned with the aura of the impossibility of such a task
It’s all about that output; and, in fairness, ‘noob’s efforts were even more extreme and, frankly, remarkable. He had shoes that were conventionally unserviceable and so he did something both creative and remarkable... he made them into something totally different and better. He should win, IMHO.

All that said, for me the competition was always about seeing what could be done (both in terms of my project and others). For that reason alone, I hope we do this competition again, it’s fun to have a competition to motivate you do some crazy stuff that, frankly, I wouldn’t have gotten around to trying (despite wanting to). I mean, it’s pretty neat that I took a really terrible, end-of-life pair of CG McAllister’s and made them into something that’s nice to wear again. Not being at all sanctimonious when I say that really is reward enough.

Now, if I could just find a pair of those shoes mreams99 entered...

right_hook

Reaction score
I completely agree. For next year, I will need to set up specific criteria. Or remove prizes to avoid any hassles.

I believe that while a specific criteria can make the competition more interesting, at the same time it can deprive us of restorations based on creative search and madness. I really liked this contest as a fireworks of enthusiasts' ideas, not a battle of pro's technical skills.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hands down, one of my favourite vintage pairs. So well made, and so versatile. I have a pair in walnut and black. Hope to find one in oxblood/burgundy, as it would be so versatile even with darker suits.

I do agree with @davidVC that v-cleats force me to work with intention, care, and due diligence. It is very invigorating. I suspect my double v-cleats will be EVEN more invigorating. I will likely replace them with a dainite or vibram sole. Maybe.

They are a classic, that’s for sure. I have thought about replacing the heels on all my pairs that have a vcleat, but I didn’t. It sort of devalues the shoe in my opinion. Instead, I have chosen to cover the vcleats with plastic heel taps. I know they are not for everyone, but they work for me.

Handsome shoes. Question: Was Towncraft made by Florsheim? I have seen them on eBay. And I assume (you can correct me of course), they are lower in quality than Florsheim or Hanover, and more in line with Dexter or B Mason. The latter pairs I also really love but not in the same league as Florsheim.

I have a pair of Towncraft LWBs that are made by Hanover. They have a vcleat and nails on the heels, and the quality is nice.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that to each his own, but I have to admit that I've never liked such approach.
contest.png

Just my two cents.
I actually LOL’d at this. He couldn’t just let his (excellent) entry speak for itself? I agree with SuitForCourt, if that’s how he wants to win, so be it, but come on, it’s just a friendly competition and he’s out there soliciting votes like he’s running for office? Lolwutreally?!
facepalm-picard-gif-i4.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1026729

View attachment 1026733

Yep, they are Miralto shoes. Miralton specializes in hideous shoes with fake exotic skins. Certainly not a brand that would cause positive vibes on the vintage thread. Lest one believe I am being too harsh, here are just a few of their other designs. On Ebay they are usually around $20-30 in good condition. Ugly shoe trigger warning.
Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 10.22.46 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 10.21.15 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 10.22.26 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 10.21.53 AM.png

Last edited:

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe that while a specific criteria can make the competition more interesting, at the same time it can deprive us of restorations based on creative search and madness. I really liked this contest as a fireworks of enthusiasts' ideas, not a battle of pro's technical skills.
I’m with you on this. I just want to see old borked shoes become nice or interesting again. If a pro or two comes in and does pro-level stuff, that’s cool too.

I think the only stringent requirement should be detailing steps, processes and tools/products used. No secret sauces - as I’m all about learning how it’s done.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads