• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Freeman Flex CTO for a sunny post holiday Tuesday.
0529180903.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@smfdoc Could I tap into your knowledge on vintage shoes, please? I'm a bit confused about shoes with 2 width sizes -- Did some makers give widths as forefoot/heel, while other makers wrote them as heel/forefoot?

The reason I ask is because the Alden saddle oxfords previously mentioned are written as 10 A/C for which the forefoot is 10 C (I don't doubt your post), however some Bostonian tassel loafers I bought are marked 10 D/B and were stated by the seller as 10 D. They fit my wide feet pretty well, where 10 B surely would not.

Makers of the day did it both ways. Some listed the heel first and others the forefoot first. The larger of the two sizes are the forefoot. This obviously caused confusion and most makers dropped the heel measurement because it really served no purpose. It is always 2 sizes smaller. Alden, however, still lists both. With that said, if you are searching Ebay, you may find some shoes that are not listed correctly. I am E/EEE. Some sellers will list the shoe as an E, because they only looked at the first letter. Pro tip, check for incorrect listings.

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have information on Florsheim Royal Imperial tassel loafers model #97167 ? I believe they are shell cordovan, but trying to confirm this.

Vcleat has information on models like 97164 (penny loafer) or 97168 (Venetian loafer)... so I suppose that 97167 as their tassel loafers makes perfect sense.

These popped up on auction in Japan and I'm sorely tempted. NOS in a very comfortable size for me -- but I just bought a pair of Bostonian tassel loafers the other week, so struggling to justify another pair of tassel loafers when I'm still ogling saddle oxfords and brown leather chukkas. Too many shoes, too little money and closet space. :(

View attachment 981855

View attachment 981856

View attachment 981857

The 97167 is not shell cordovan. I am 100% on that

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can confirm this because I own that model. It's CG, though, at least in my example, it's a very well executed CG (very fine creasing, more waxy than plastic - nothing like your typical CG wonder). Not that I would advocate CG (it's only worth it if your getting the pair nice and cheap) but Florsheim did CG surprisingly well (80's / early 90's). Much better than AE's "Polished Cobbler" stuff of the same vintage. That said, as NOS CG, it needs to be well south of a 100 bucks or it's not worth it (IMHO). Also, with all things CG, your mileage may vary.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can confirm this because I own that model. It's CG, though, at least in my example, it's a very well executed CG (very fine creasing, more waxy than plastic - nothing like your typical CG wonder). Not that I would advocate CG (it's only worth it if your getting the pair nice and cheap) but Florsheim did CG surprisingly well (80's / early 90's). Much better than AE's "Polished Cobbler" stuff of the same vintage. That said, as NOS CG, it needs to be well south of a 100 bucks or it's not worth it (IMHO). Also, with all things CG, your mileage may vary.
Plus I don't think Florsheim ever did shell with those heels. And, that first pic just doesn't look like shell to me.

well-kept

Reaction score
Plus I don't think Florsheim ever did shell with those heels. And, that first pic just doesn't look like shell to me.
Florsheim did use that exact heel on some shells. I have a pair of shell Yumas with the same heels, same sole stamping, etc. Which is not to say that the tassels are shell. Just to clarify that the heel is not the decisive factor.

Also, the model number on my Yumas - 5S 33830 - indicates that they were a special make up. Maybe Florsheim finished them with the only heel toplifts which were available at that moment.

OmBom

Reaction score
Makers of the day did it both ways. Some listed the heel first and others the forefoot first. The larger of the two sizes are the forefoot. This obviously caused confusion and most makers dropped the heel measurement because it really served no purpose. It is always 2 sizes smaller. Alden, however, still lists both. With that said, if you are searching Ebay, you may find some shoes that are not listed correctly. I am E/EEE. Some sellers will list the shoe as an E, because they only looked at the first letter. Pro tip, check for incorrect listings.
Agree with all this, except sometime they drop the heel only one size. For example, my Hanover LB Sheppard saddles are 10.5 C with a B heel.
The old-time companies, such as Russell Moccasin, will list sizes as "10.5 B, ball to C" for the same, adding to the confusion. :)

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Florsheim did use that exact heel on some shells. I have a pair of shell Yumas with the same heels, same sole stamping, etc. Which is not to say that the tassels are shell. Just to clarify that the heel is not the decisive factor.

Also, the model number on my Yumas - 5S 33830 - indicates that they were a special make up. Maybe Florsheim finished them with the only heel toplifts which were available at that moment.
Or customer did an upcharge to shell without changing the sole? (I did that on an AE shell MTO back in January) Either way, good info.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Further adventures in minor american shoe brands...Weyenberg edition. After my recent forays in Hanover, Mason and of course Nettleton.
fullsizeoutput_10a2.jpeg

Ethrifted NOS pair just arrived. No info on the vintage of these, but the logo typeface says '70's to me. Good leather uppers, sole and fit, but the wacky plastic heel may not be long for these shoes.
fullsizeoutput_10a3.jpeg

Last edited:

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Makers of the day did it both ways. Some listed the heel first and others the forefoot first. The larger of the two sizes are the forefoot. This obviously caused confusion and most makers dropped the heel measurement because it really served no purpose.

Thanks everyone. Very interesting and helpful!

I can confirm this because I own that model. It's CG, though, at least in my example, it's a very well executed CG

Well, that’s too bad. I thought I had found something really nice but glad I checked here before clicking the BIN option. The price is about 3x too high for corrected grain, so I will pass on it.

Now there’s a different pair of 994’s in my size, but it’s about double what I’d like to spend...... *sigh*

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Very interesting and helpful!

Well, that’s too bad. I thought I had found something really nice but glad I checked here before clicking the BIN option. The price is about 3x too high for corrected grain, so I will pass on it.

Now there’s a different pair of 994’s in my size, but it’s about double what I’d like to spend...... *sigh*

Well, contact the seller and offer him what you would like to spend. You don't know until you ask.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went thrifting in my hometown. Walked away with 8 pairs for consignment. This pair of Dacks spectator in 10.5D are the most interesting.

IMG_20180529_175653.jpg
IMG_20180529_175658.jpg
IMG_20180529_175706.jpg

IMG_20180529_175724.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads