• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slightly off-topic as this thread has concentrated on Florsheims, Hanovers, etc and other US-made shoes.

But here is a pair of vintage Edward Greens for Brooks Brothers. Photographed right out of the box after I picked them up on eBay for $40 plus shipping.

It will be fun to work on these.

AHS
Not off topic at all. Please post more pics during the renovation process!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
+1. Not off topic. The US shoes are mentioned most because that is what people purchase. I would personally like to hear more about any vintage shoes, including the UK offerings. It would be very helpful to also hear any size comparisons of the UK shoes with those of the US. For example, I found the 44.5 G Church's oxford was significantly looser/tighter/narrower, etc that the 11 EEE Florsheim/AE/Alden, etc. And yes, share pictures of the rehab in progress on your EG shoes.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the thread. Yes, its a mystery that will likely never be solved. I agree that it was not likely done for aesthetics, so that leaves some practical benefit as an explanation. Saved time in construction? Lowered the cost in some manner? Perhaps the multiple smaller pieces of leather allowed them to obtain a higher yield from the leather they were using for the uppers? Who knows. Its all part of the enjoyment I get from vintage shoes.
A story that I read in the, I think, old AE thread was about the head of operations of either Hanover or Florsheim. Anyway, the guys were complaining that AE shell shoes had a lot of bowing and the reason for that is that AE doesn't leave their shoes in the lasts long enough after making them. Well, somebody chimed in that head of this old shoe company had all these pairs of shell shoes all over his office, still in their lasts, so that the shell could mold to the last. I think he insisted that the shoes remain in the last for a good number of days.

I'm butchering this story, but I though that was pretty cool that he did that. And, that I would have love to stepped into that office and seen and smelled all that beautiful shell lying about.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1940s Nettleton Ventilated Spade Spectators

Last edited:

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is some straight up AskAndy craziness - who the hell wants to wear some dead guys shoes?

Weird

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This is some straight up AskAndy craziness - who the hell wants to wear some dead guys shoes?

Weird

I've been warning against this for years.

There are some very nice vintage shoes in this thread ..I love to see them, a revelation in some cases.

And, of course, there is no problem with NOS. But thrifted shoes--esp. good quality thrifted shoes--will never fit correctly no matter who you are, and often...very, very, very often....harbour bacteria and fungal spores from the original owner.

It's like wearing someone's used...and unwashed...smallclothes (underwear).

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey guys, and welcome to the thread. If nothing else, you can enjoy the pictures.

I knew we would eventually have the opportunity to discuss shoe hygiene and the various concerns on wearing a pair of shoes that have been previously owned. Fit issues aside (they either fit or they don’t) we are all human and have various levels of bacteria and fungi on our bodies. These do make their way to our clothes and shoes. There are wide variations in the amount of exposure, duration of exposure and length of time since a pair of shoes have been worn that can affect the amount of bacteria present.

There are those who will not, under any circumstances, EVER wear anything than new shoes. I get that, but there are others who, for a variety of reasons, will be willing to “walk a mile in someone else’s shoes.” This is no small number as Ebay currently has over 390,000 listings under the search of “men’s shoes.” This information is for them.

Part of my routine for any vintage shoe I receive is the initial rehab that includes a very complete interior wipe-down with isopropyl alcohol. This goes a long way towards proper disinfection. But there are also other measures that can be used that will enhance the process. Many people elect to use aerosol disinfection with products such as “10-Seconds Shoe Deodorizer and Disinfectant.” They claim to be “THE ONLY EPA-APPROVED SHOE DISINFECTANT ON THE MARKET effective against germs, fungus, bacteria, mold, mildew, and other micro-organisms.” You can see this product by clicking here.

Another option for your shoes, previously owned or not, is a dose of ultraviolet light that is very effective in killing any linger nasties that may have escaped the alcohol and the sprays. There are a variety of companies that make small ultraviolet light shoe inserts that can be turned on and slipped into each shoe for 15-20 minutes. These range from $40 to just over $120 on Amazon. This $39 pair can be seen by clicking here. Now you know what to ask Santa to bring you for being on the nice list.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are some very nice vintage shoes in this thread ..I love to see them, a revelation in some cases.

And, of course, there is no problem with NOS. But thrifted shoes--esp. good quality thrifted shoes--will never fit correctly no matter who you are, and often...very, very, very often....harbour bacteria and fungal spores from the original owner.

Allen Dreadmon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with staying away from shoes that have been worn more than ~10 times. Especially loafers that tend to be worn sockless! You can tell when to stay away: The rubber dovetail heels have some wear; the logo on the heel liner is worn out. At that point the foot bed and creasing has formed to someone else's foot. Not to mention the leftover energy vibes...

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would it help to know that vintage shoes are a hobby for some of us?

I own and wear shoes I bought new. Nice shoes. I am pretty sure all people on this thread wear new shoes. But sometimes we also buy and wear vintage shoes.

I regularly buy shoes that I will never wear. But I like the style of the shoe. I post or blog about shoes that don't fit me. Maybe that makes no sense but I do. Some people buy books they will never read. Others buy toys they keep in the package.

The thread is called "Vintage dress shoe appreciation". If someone went to a classic cars forum and posted that a Tesla or Prius is a better car than 1967 Camaro, they would be right. But they are missing the point.

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Would it help to know that vintage shoes are a hobby for some of us?

I own own and wear shoes I bought new. Nice shoes. I am pretty sure all people on this thread wear new shoes. But sometimes we also buy and wear vintage shoes.

I regularly buy shoes that I will never wear. But I like the style of the shoe. I post or blog about shoes that don't fit me. Maybe that makes no sense but I do. Some people buy books they will never read. Others buy toys they keep in the package.

The thread is called "Vintage dress shoe appreciation". If someone went to a classic cars forum and posted that a Tesla or Prius is a better car than 1967 Camaro, they would be right. But they are missing the point.

+1. Well said. By the way, allowing yourself to buy shoes you may never wear is very liberating. Now you can keep them without worrying that they are not getting enough time in the rotation.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Weird

Those were brand new NOS.

BTW. You need to get over your second hand shoes obsession. Have you heard of eBay?

I have 70 year old shoes I wear to work regularly. I wear them as tribute to America's wonderful lost shoe industry and all its magnificence and genius.

I am sure the guys upstairs are looking down and applauding me.

Nothing weird here.

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is rubbish. Anyone who seriously wears vintage shoes knows what they are doing re hygiene etc. Most shoes are barely worn.

Do me a favour and don't trash the thread. Stick to your own thread please. Your comments are unnecessary.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads