• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Domino23

Reaction score
I bought a pair of shoes on eBay because I liked the color and style, now that they've arrived I'm trying to figure out if they're shell cordovan or not.

Reasons why:
1:Leather has rolls instead of creases

2: The leather has a different feel to it that any other leather I've touched before. It's dense and feels almost plastic like. Its not PVC, corrected grain or actual plastic/fake leather, it just feels different, more firm but not unpleasant

3: The color

4: The weight. These shoes are surprisingly heavy/dense, the leather is thicker than I expected. The shoes have a surprising heft to them

5: The shine . This is hard to explain or demonstrate in the pics but there's a depth to the shine that I haven't seen in any other leather before, it's light there's multiple distinct layers to it.

6: No pores

Reasons why it might not be

1: This model isn't listed on the shell cordovan shoe list website. The maker is Sibley's.

2: There are a few small microcreases on one of the shoes, tiny compared to the rolls but still there.

3: The shoes weren't sold as shell cordovan, but the seller didn't appear to be a pro so they might not have known

4: Uneven color. One shoe is much redder, the other is more brown. Lack of uniformity.

I showed them to a couple of my friends who own cordovan shoes, one has a pair of Florsheims and the other a pair of Alden loafers, they believe it's shell but I'd rather gather as much feedback as possible before I start fiddling with them to restore them. If they're not shell I'm still happy because I like the color, if they are shell I want to use them for practice for restoring/shining before I get a "proper" pair. Any help would be appreciated!

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of shoes on eBay because I liked the color and style, now that they've arrived I'm trying to figure out if they're shell cordovan or not.

Reasons why:

2: The leather has a different feel to it that any other leather I've touched before. It's dense and feels almost plastic like. Its not PVC, corrected grain or actual plastic/fake leather, it just feels different, more firm but not unpleasant

4: The weight. These shoes are surprisingly heavy/dense, the leather is thicker than I expected. The shoes have a surprising heft to them

5: The shine . This is hard to explain or demonstrate in the pics but there's a depth to the shine that I haven't seen in any other leather before, it's light there's multiple distinct layers to it.

1: This model isn't listed on the shell cordovan shoe list website. The maker is Sibley's.

2: There are a few small microcreases on one of the shoes, tiny compared to the rolls but still there.

3: The shoes weren't sold as shell cordovan, but the seller didn't appear to be a pro so they might not have known

4: Uneven color. One shoe is much redder, the other is more brown. Lack of uniformity.

I showed them to a couple of my friends who own cordovan shoes, one has a pair of Florsheims and the other a pair of Alden loafers, they believe it's shell but I'd rather gather as much feedback as possible before I start fiddling with them to restore them. If they're not shell I'm still happy because I like the color, if they are shell I want to use them for practice for restoring/shining before I get a "proper" pair. Any help would be appreciated!

Most probably shell, off chance it's Corfam. Based on the color depth I'll guess shell.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Reasons why:

Hard to tell from the single photo. Lighting isn’t good enough to really pick up the details: too much contrast. More photos would help, as would flatter lighting.

For reference, Sibley’s was a high end department store in Rochester, NY. It was acquired by May Company in 1986. We see shoes that were private labeled for them once in a while.

Satoman1

Reaction score

It seems some micro creasing here,or it's maybe just paint layer crack. Other part does looks like shell to me
1674924430266.png

Domino23

Reaction score
Hard to tell from the single photo. Lighting isn’t good enough to really pick up the details: too much contrast. More photos would help, as would flatter lighting.

For reference, Sibley’s was a high end department store in Rochester, NY. It was acquired by May Company in 1986. We see shoes that were private labeled for them once in a while.

That’s odd, there were 7 pics in the album. It will be a couple days before I can get pics in natural lighting outdoors, but I’ll gently clean the shoes and take some pics outside next Wednesday and post them here

Domino23

Reaction score
Most probably shell, off chance it's Corfam. Based on the color depth I'll guess shell.
Thank you, based in its short and unique history I’d be fascinated if the shoes were corfam . Im going to start cleaning and conditioning the shoes based, I’ll get some better pics in a couple of days and hopefully there will be some improvements and it will be easier to tell

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, based in its short and unique history I’d be fascinated if the shoes were corfam . Im going to start cleaning and conditioning the shoes based, I’ll get some better pics in a couple of days and hopefully there will be some improvements and it will be easier to tell

Sorry. First time I looked, only the first picture loaded.

I would lean towards shell with a couple caveats:
  • The color variation is unique to shell, as long as the darker sections aren’t polish buildup. I generally start all my shoes with a vigorous saddle soap cleaning, scrubbing with a horsehair dauber. If it’s polish, the suds will usually pick up the red tint, and you’ll discover that you likely need something more aggressive to get it all off.
  • The rolls on the vamp and the pucker on the eyelet holes look right for shell, too. The wrinkles on that left toe need a better photo.
  • They don’t look CORFAM to me for a couple reasons. As a man made material, the color would be consistent, and the CORFAM I’ve seen runs darker, so the cherry red vamp is too light. Also, it states “fully leather lined” which I would think defeats the purpose of CORFAM, which was a semi-breathable poromeric plastic designed to replace leather (my pair of corfam literally has the word “poromeric” inside).
Some CORFAM history for the group:

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I

Reasons why:

I’m voting not shell on these. There’s something about the finish on that leather that just doesn’t look right to me. I also think there’s a little creasing on the side view. Finally, these aren’t particularly high quality shoes with a vinyl welt. It’s unusual to see a company cheapen out on some materials, but still use shell.

vestbash

Reaction score

Reasons why:

These are 100% not shell.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Reasons why:

These were made by Dexter for Sibley. I doubt they are shell given the other cheaper parts like the welt and soles.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems some micro creasing here,or it's maybe just paint layer crack. Other part does looks like shell to me
View attachment 1884179
Oooooh good catch. Looks more like a corrected grain leather then. Blucher flaps and eyelets through me off some, presents similar to shell.

Looking again, I gotta agree with the others, not shell. Looks like a pretty decent enough corrected grain leather though, fwiw. Have seen similar used by Florsheim. Corrected grain gets no love on SF, but it still has some utility IME, say something to kick around in and not worry about.

Last edited:

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crockett & Jones shell loafers for date night. These have skyrocketed to the top of my favorite-shoes list (I admit: it’s a long list).
CE145C9B-A3E1-4CD6-A8A8-8B38CEBFA910.jpeg
59A022B0-9E53-4053-B121-C31C53CAE498.jpeg

Domino23

Reaction score
I'd like to thank everyone for their patience and answering my questions about shell cordovan. I did some digging last night reading more into this thread and other forums. Today's question:

How reliable is

https://shellcordovanmodels.com/#Johnston & Murphy

This website seems to be an evolving compilation of verified shell cordovan makers and models. The reason I'm asking is I decided to search specifically off of the makers and models here and then verify the model number inside the shoe.

For Johnston and Murphy they list the following:

"24-9312 - Dark Cherry - Aristocraft Plain Toe Blucher"

I was browsing and found a shoe with that model number, and it matches the color and style description, but it's not being sold as shell cordovan. The seller seems to be a normal person selling not a business or a professional, they are just selling it as a regular shoe.

If the website is reliable and the model number is a good place to start let me know and I'll upload some more pics for verification.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230129-071853.png
    Screenshot_20230129-071853.png
    220.4 KB · Views: 45

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd like to thank everyone for their patience and answering my questions about shell cordovan. I did some digging last night reading more into this thread and other forums. Today's question:

How reliable is

https://shellcordovanmodels.com/#Johnston & Murphy

This website seems to be an evolving compilation of verified shell cordovan makers and models. The reason I'm asking is I decided to search specifically off of the makers and models here and then verify the model number inside the shoe.

For Johnston and Murphy they list the following:

"24-9312 - Dark Cherry - Aristocraft Plain Toe Blucher"

I was browsing and found a shoe with that model number, and it matches the color and style description, but it's not being sold as shell cordovan. The seller seems to be a normal person selling not a business or a professional, they are just selling it as a regular shoe.

If the website is reliable and the model number is a good place to start let me know and I'll upload some more pics for verification.

The shellcordovanmodels.com site is quite good. You are correct that it is evolving with time. It was started by one of our own thread members and I very occasionally contribute to it when I run across an unlisted pair.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KingCaru