• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reaction score
Vintage Made in Italy Aldo’s. Are these shell cordovan? They seem to have the roll to them but I don’t know if Aldo ever dabbled with cordovan
CA2F026B-1269-4599-97C4-1B5AAA6191ED.jpeg
9E6511F2-485E-4A93-8FB7-D145C44478AB.jpeg
054AB8FC-B679-4F0B-BB5A-CC2AE840B2F9.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not shell. Look at the crinkles at the bend points, shell wouldn't have those.

You are absolutely correct. For those new to shell, it is important to look for those fine crinkles and other clues that indicate they are not shell. For example, this pair of NOS Stuart McGuire PTBs. The seller is not making any claim that they are shell. At first glance one may think they are shell.

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 3.44.44 PM.png

But notice the very fine wrinkles on the left vamp. This strongly indicates it is not shell.

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 3.45.42 PM.png

Now check the label. Notice that the sole is man-made. Old shell is usually a higher end shoe for a maker and I would expect leather soles. It is also possible to check the style number on shellcordovanmodels.com.

1659642639889.png

They made a shell PTB, but the style number was OV-418, as opposed to this OV-443 pair.

1659642801618.png

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to beat a dead horse, but here are the bend points in a twenty plus year old pair of Alden shell shoes (model 2146). Shell will develop rolls, and sometimes grit gets in them but it doesn't form into lines like the Aldos you asked about.
25B883BA-2B80-486C-9105-C30E49E57902_1_201_a.jpeg

[EDIT]
These shoes really are nice and deserve another photo.
04E17C00-377E-428D-89EF-87A0C8EDE409_1_201_a.jpeg

I'm not sure how old they are, but the store that sold them went out of business back in 2001. The New York Times said they catered to Wall Street bankers and FBI agents among others, marketing was all word of mouth.
84A44734-4B8C-4198-AAD5-AD8313E8FAB5_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to beat a dead horse, but here are the bend points in a twenty plus year old pair of Alden shell shoes (model 2146). Shell will develop rolls, and sometimes grit gets in them but it doesn't form into lines like the Aldos you asked about.
View attachment 1819084

I think this dead horse has been worn well.

Reaction score
View attachment 1819084
This visual representation is much appreciated! I’ve only heard explanations via text and what brand new/hardly used Cordovan pairs look like but I never see a visual sample of a heavily worn pair which is what you’re likely to find in the thrift etc anyways. I’ll know what to look out for now, thanks a lot!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This visual representation is much appreciated! I’ve only heard explanations via text and what brand new/hardly used Cordovan pairs look like but I never see a visual sample of a heavily worn pair which is what you’re likely to find in the thrift etc anyways. I’ll know what to look out for now, thanks a lot!

If you scroll through this thread, you will see great examples of worn shell and the rolls.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1819084
[EDIT]
These shoes really are nice and deserve another photo.
View attachment 1819147
I'm not sure how old they are, but the store that sold them went out of business back in 2001. The New York Times said they catered to Wall Street bankers and FBI agents among others, marketing was all word of mouth.
View attachment 1819148

The serial number begins with 5F, which means it is a year that ends in a 5. Since the store that ordered them closed for business in 2001, that means they were made around 1995 or 1985. The F reflects the month of creation. Alden‘s Fiscal year begin in November and they would use the letter A. The F indicates the shoes were made in April.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The serial number begins with 5F, which means it is a year that ends in a 5. Since the store that ordered them closed for business in 2001, that means they were made around 1995 or 1985. The F reflects the month of creation. Alden‘s Fiscal year begin in November and they would use the letter A. The F indicates the shoes were made in April.
🤯

memoriastoica

Reaction score
For me, they are almost too wide. Apparently this last (2298) is one of the narrower lasts. I don’t think I could wear a last that is any wider. My Foot tends to run a little narrow. 11C is my ideal size in Florsheim. These are UK 10 Medium width.

I wore these all day and they are brand new and never bothered me.

Here is the link.

I also wear 11C Florsheim's. I can also fit in 10.5D but my heels slip out which is uncomfortable unless I lace my shoes tightly. We should become trading partners! Or just keep an eye out for great 11C vintage shoes. :D

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE St George boot from 1971.
93A1D4FE-FA00-4A38-AA08-D64E7A8A62F0.jpeg
12291184-EEBC-4CC1-9C72-C161484A5F28.jpeg

MathMan314

Reaction score
I decided to try my hand at making a "Golden Harvest" inspired longwing. Here is the progress thus far:
20220806_134133.jpg

I saw some Angelus acrylic leather paint in "mustard" while at a craft store, so I decided to do an experiment with it. I'm curious to find out how well an acrylic finish will hold up over time.

For this experiment I used a pair of Dexter for Sibley's of Detroit that I picked up for $5. I stripped them with acetone, which removed what seemed like an acrylic top coat. (It seems I forgot to take a picture of this part, but I can do that with the 2nd shoe.) I then applied 4 coats of the Angelus with a sponge brush, with between 10 minutes and an hour between coats.

I let that set for a bit more than 24 hours and applied Angelus acrylic finisher (a protective top layer) and let that sit for another 24 hours or so. I finished by tinting the mustard color down a bit with some Meltonian light brown shoe cream.

So far, I like the way it came out. The acrylic top coat was easy to work with, and it is far less "plastic-y" than I imagined it might be. It actually seems more pliable and leather like than the original finish on the shoes.

My plan is to finish the other shoe throughout this week, then start putting the shoes to use. Again, I am curious to see how well the acrylic paint holds up over time.

If it cracks or flakes away, I'll just strip everything and dye the shoes navy. If it ends up working well, then that opens up the door for other fun projects, like making spectators!

MathMan314

Reaction score
I decided to try my hand at making a "Golden Harvest" inspired longwing. Here is the progress thus far:
View attachment 1819685
I saw some Angelus acrylic leather paint in "mustard" while at a craft store, so I decided to do an experiment with it. I'm curious to find out how well an acrylic finish will hold up over time.

For this experiment I used a pair of Dexter for Sibley's of Detroit that I picked up for $5. I stripped them with acetone, which removed what seemed like an acrylic top coat. (It seems I forgot to take a picture of this part, but I can do that with the 2nd shoe.) I then applied 4 coats of the Angelus with a sponge brush, with between 10 minutes and an hour between coats.

I let that set for a bit more than 24 hours and applied Angelus acrylic finisher (a protective top layer) and let that sit for another 24 hours or so. I finished by tinting the mustard color down a bit with some Meltonian light brown shoe cream.

So far, I like the way it came out. The acrylic top coat was easy to work with, and it is far less "plastic-y" than I imagined it might be. It actually seems more pliable and leather like than the original finish on the shoes.

My plan is to finish the other shoe throughout this week, then start putting the shoes to use. Again, I am curious to see how well the acrylic paint holds up over time.

If it cracks or flakes away, I'll just strip everything and dye the shoes navy. If it ends up working well, then that opens up the door for other fun projects, like making spectators!
Note: I still need to take off the excess paint that I got on binding. The binding on these is not leather, so the paint flakes right off.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member