• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome news! And just to be clear, you’re referencing bourbon (and I’m assuming the other light dyes) in that statement? Or am I misunderstanding?
I am talking about a pair of non-viberg shell in "natural". Anyway, seems others have other opinions/views. I can't guarantee.

Sschaffer24

Reaction score
I understand if commenting on the color of shell is a challenging thing to do. Color and looks are subjective to a degree, makes sense.
I’m just looking for the best option that will stay light-mid to go with. Seems like I’ll be safe with any of the lighter dyes and possibly natural.

If anyone has their own input or photos of aged shell I’m sure the thread would enjoy it, but also feel free to PM me. I’ll take all of the advice I can get!

stevenkmason

Reaction score
I understand if commenting on the color of shell is a challenging thing to do. Color and looks are subjective to a degree, makes sense.
I’m just looking for the best option that will stay light-mid to go with. Seems like I’ll be safe with any of the lighter dyes and possibly natural.

If anyone has their own input or photos of aged shell I’m sure the thread would enjoy it, but also feel free to PM me. I’ll take all of the advice I can get!

Glazed natural shell will stay the lightest.

MrGuy

Reaction score
First time Viberg purchase, so please bear with me. Hoping someone here may have some insight, as I seem to be getting stonewalled through the Viberg site. I placed an order for what appear to be in stock engineer boots last Wednesday, and have yet to get a shipping notification. Anyone know of any reason an order would not have shipped within a week!?

Mrfuzon

Reaction score
First time Viberg purchase, so please bear with me. Hoping someone here may have some insight, as I seem to be getting stonewalled through the Viberg site. I placed an order for what appear to be in stock engineer boots last Wednesday, and have yet to get a shipping notification. Anyone know of any reason an order would not have shipped within a week!?
Welcome to the Club!!! They work on their own time and schedule. A week or two is normal, but it also helps to Call and not email to speed it up a bit.

itbegins

Reaction score
I'm new to Viberg (just picked up my first pair this week) looking for a bit of sizing guidance on the 2045 that I haven't been able to solidify from reading this thread and reddit gyw.

Would anyone with boots on the 2045 and 2030 last mind sharing the difference in length between the two (for same size in both or if 2045 is 1/2 size down)? I'm interested in a pair of boots in the 2045 (unlined CXL roughout) but a little wary of sizing down from my 2030 size.

I've sized down quite a bit on the 2030 (low volume feet) from a brannock 10.75D to a Viberg size 9.5 (lined waxed kudu service boots). I've got about 3/4" of room at the toes but the boots are still breaking in (only worn inside the house during two afternoons) and very tight along the top of my foot at the throat (i.e. where vamp meets the lacing). I believe i have the right size sorted for the 2030 but my only other datapoint is an unlined CXL in size 10 that were too large (when comparing where the widest part of my foot sat on the footbed).

markythemartian

Reaction score
I’m still waiting for a shipping notification on mine! I was told my boots were ready to ship last week.

I heard that it’s the busiest time of the year so that probably has something to do with the delay.

Jmccle2

Reaction score

It also depends on how they’re worn and the products used to condition. If you’re wearing them casually and just brushing or using something light like bick 4, the color won’t change much.

On my lighter shells, I used saphir and it darkened them a shade.

If they’re getting worn hard in the elements and exposed to a lot of sun, they will darken for sure.

Sschaffer24

Reaction score
It also depends on how they’re worn and the products used to condition. If you’re wearing them casually and just brushing or using something light like bick 4, the color won’t change much.

On my lighter shells, I used saphir and it darkened them a shade.

If they’re getting worn hard in the elements and exposed to a lot of sun, they will darken for sure.

Thank you! That is extremely helpful. Yeah I’m just going to be wearing them causally to and from work and around my local neighborhood.

It does rain and snow here a decent amount (PA) so I guess I should expect some darkening. Regardless, that clarification is fantastic. In a separate conversation I was led to believe that a natural shell would darken to the point of being darker than my oiled shinki shelbys from DR. That freaked me out! Knowing I could reasonably expect a natural/lightly dyed shell to stay in that range or darken slightly makes shopping for these much easier!

now that’s that’s done, anyone have insight into which lighter shade of shell is considered most desirable? Haha.

Last edited:

Jmccle2

Reaction score
Thank you! That is extremely helpful. Yeah I’m just going to be wearing them causally to and from work and around my local neighborhood.

It does rain and snow here a decent amount (PA) so I guess I should expect some darkening. Regardless, that clarification is fantastic. In a separate conversation I was led to believe that a natural shell would darken to the point of being darker than my oiled shinki shelbys from DR. That freaked me out! Knowing I could reasonably expect a natural/lightly dyed shell to stay in that range or darken slightly makes shopping for these much easier!

now that’s that’s done, anyone have insight into which lighter shade of shell is considered most desirable? Haha.
That’s totally up to you. Some like natural more since its a blank canvas, everyone’s pair will age differently. You won’t get as dramatic of a patina with the whiskey/bourbon shades.

Sschaffer24

Reaction score
That’s totally up to you. Some like natural more since its a blank canvas, everyone’s pair will age differently. You won’t get as dramatic of a patina with the whiskey/bourbon shades.

This is what I needed to hear! Thank you for the heads up and advice. Appreciated. Next step for me is to get started posting some pictures of this collection... haha.

Jmccle2

Reaction score
Just a bit of a PSA here, since I know they've been recommended a lot and a bunch of us have used him: Pekin Shoe Repair no longer taking mail-in work. Local only now. Reason was just too much work to do between local work and running a retail shop.
Man! I was just about to send them a pair. Hopefully that’s just temporary.

That’s a good problem to have though; being in the position to turn down business.

jm4i

Reaction score
Just a bit of a PSA here, since I know they've been recommended a lot and a bunch of us have used him: Pekin Shoe Repair no longer taking mail-in work. Local only now. Reason was just too much work to do between local work and running a retail shop.
That's a huge bummer, was planning on using them for all my leather stack mini ripple conversions. Various examples from different cobblers have different levels of leather stack, but a pair of mushroom chamois Pekin did had the perfect ratio I wanted. I hope Viberg brings back the leather stack.

JoeRogan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a huge bummer, was planning on using them for all my leather stack mini ripple conversions. Various examples from different cobblers have different levels of leather stack, but a pair of mushroom chamois Pekin did had the perfect ratio I wanted. I hope Viberg brings back the leather stack.

Yeah Pekin does them very well. I wouldn't hold your breath, Viberg said they stopped it because it was too much work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads