• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about picking up a pair of hiking boots for more serious hiking. Has anyone done serious hiking in the Apsley boots? They are on the 320 last, which I don't have experience with. Viberg lasts are hit or miss for me, so I'm a little wary about picking up a pair that I may not be able to go 15-20 miles at a time in.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about picking up a pair of hiking boots for more serious hiking. Has anyone done serious hiking in the Apsley boots? They are on the 320 last, which I don't have experience with. Viberg lasts are hit or miss for me, so I'm a little wary about picking up a pair that I may not be able to go 15-20 miles at a time in.
I don't have any experience with the Aspley other than looking at it but I have done month long 15-20mile/day excursions into the mountains and I wouldn't take any Viberg boot I've owned with me for something like that. But if I had to I would probably go with the Hiker that borrows the Danner pattern.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, same over here - I don't find Viberg's more fashion/casual offerings too comfy for long hikes. That is what is making me wary. But I don't really want to dump money into a pair of boots I can only wear on the trail.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, same over here - I don't find Viberg's more fashion/casual offerings too comfy for long hikes. That is what is making me wary. But I don't really want to dump money into a pair of boots I can only wear on the trail.
The Hiker is the only one I'd consider. I hear ya on not wanting something that is for only one propose but I think in this instance you're better off with modern hiking boots.

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I’ve been backpacking before and used shoes made from outdoor focused company. It was good for the hiking but only lasted a few years.

I’m a little skeptical of “fashion” hikers for being more than a casual hiking boot. You need a super rigid and durable footbed, fully gusseted tongue, and tough uppers. I don’t think CXL is the best leather for hiking as it’s supple and more hydrophilic.

I’ve been thinking about getting some Limmers one day. So many people swear by them and say one pair will last a lifetime.

biabia

Reaction score
The Hiker is the only one I'd consider. I hear ya on not wanting something that is for only one propose but I think in this instance you're better off with modern hiking boots.
Second this. I own Viberg 45 Hunter, it's one of their work/logger boots, and it's far heavier than my La Sportiva mountaineering boot I use for hiking. I would think the Aspley or Hiker would be lighter but still heavier than modern hiking boots.

gte872h

Reaction score

I have the Aspley boots. Been hiking in them as well. They are heavy with the full double midsole and nail down construction. I would say they are good for casual hiking in rare occasions but do not recommend for serious hiking. They feel much heavier compared to my other Viberg boots. I’m not bothered by heavy boots and find them comfortable to wear for long days with a lot of walking. All said I would look at other options if I did a ton of hiking. They run much bigger than their other lasts. I went a half size down but there would be room for an insert in your regular size.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the suggestions! I'm going to check out modern hiking boots for comparison. I wouldn't mind a heavier pair of Vibergs for everyday wear, or even going 4-5 miles, but if I'm really clocking 15-20 miles/day, that would be tough.

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Port Vitello Service Boots ... went super casual at work today ;)

320DDF78-94B0-4134-B36C-1CCCC02AED59.jpeg

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me too. They fit the Viberg aesthetic well and should patina like crazy. The unstructured toe is a welcome addition to round out my Viberg rotation.
Looks partially structured to me(not that there's anything wrong with that)

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just for kicks, as it were, I did a 20 km hike in the Alps in my waxed flesh service boots, with aftermarket 2/3 insoles. They were surprisingly comfortable, plenty of support and needless to say I didn't even feel the rocks with a commando sole.

The problem is the weight -- modern purpose-built hikers have it all over old-school hiking boots, even if they aren't nearly as durable. In fact for day hikes or even overnight I use either trail runners or Scarpa Zens.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, apologies if repost but...https://viberg.com/blogs/journal/the-cohens-collection

32 pairs! I'm hoping they're all between 8.5-9 so I can get in on the resale action...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads