• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jmccle2

Reaction score
Could have been old stock possibly. My first pair with the updated heel pad was the natural waxed flesh Apsleys which were from Dec 2016.
Hmm. That’s weird. They were actually a special preorder for Division Road from September.

keikun13

Reaction score
I'm looking for a second opinion on this.

I got a pair of Viberg 2030 in Petrol Chamois Roughout from BCC last week. They are absolutely gorgeous, but upon further inspection, I found two things that bother me a bit.

1. There is some uneven (sloppy?) stitching near the toebox of the right boot.

6eeDLT7.jpg

9Z50Grg.jpg

2. The pull tab of the right boot is a bit smaller than the one on the left boot and it also feels completely different

W8OOZMC.jpg

Here's the right boot's pull tab for comparison:

CjEnP3E.jpg

The boots are otherwise flawless. I'm more bothered by the stitching than the pull tab since I don't see it when I look down.

I got a response back from Viberg saying that this was normal and won't affect the durability or performance of the boots (which is good I guess), but I'm not sure if I feel comfortable with paying Viberg prices for something like this. Am I nitpicking too much here? Should I expect better from Viberg?

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a second opinion on this.

I got a pair of Viberg 2030 in Petrol Chamois Roughout from BCC last week. They are absolutely gorgeous, but upon further inspection, I found two things that bother me a bit.

1. There is some uneven (sloppy?) stitching near the toebox of the right boot.
6eeDLT7.jpg

9Z50Grg.jpg

2. The pull tab of the right boot is a bit smaller than the one on the left boot and it also feels completely different

W8OOZMC.jpg

Here's the right boot's pull tab for comparison:

CjEnP3E.jpg

The boots are otherwise flawless. I'm more bothered by the stitching than the pull tab since I don't see it when I look down.

I got a response back from Viberg saying that this was normal and won't affect the durability or performance of the boots (which is good I guess), but I'm not sure if I feel comfortable with paying Viberg prices for something like this. Am I nitpicking too much here? Should I expect better from Viberg?

The same guy and/or machine must have done my pair. Same issue on inside turn of right cap. If it bothers you enough, I'd exchange/return with the retailer if possible. My options are more limited, and I'll keep as is. It will become less noticeable with wear, but the contrast is greater on yours.

emidyl

Reaction score
glaring when new, but will diminish with time unless you are one to swap/sell your footwear on a regular basis. We have to understand that with handmade goods our level of expectations do not always line up with the final product and is a fact of life and nature of beast regardless of the $$$ involved. Doesn't only happen with Viberg, I've seen many issues with Alden that I've had to pass on. At the end of the day it's your call to return them. If you love them enough or were pre-ordered as such it might be hard or near impossible to come across again. I waited over 3 years before the ones I wanted came back around and that's with a small retailer doing small limited runs.

emidyl

Reaction score
The new version actually has a layer of padding underneath

hmm, I'll have to check against my previous service boot. My new ones should be arriving shortly later today and my stockist had them Friday. Wonder if this batch will incorporate it

emidyl

Reaction score
Can you post pics of the old vs new insole?

sure thing, they're out for delivery ATM, and here they are:

Black CXL 1035 last and my Olive nubuck 2030 last
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rcdu3vIGoO8itKHosQHDAVS-edZlJlf3/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FkUwGthdou6cGSyG4Cf4u1fs4IbkjmmP/view?usp=sharing

CXL with arch support/pad and what seems like none at all on the nubuck except a thin leather topper
https://drive.google.com/file/d/145puilqhUTGSy0z9mMhplYdYFEdTIugR/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MMr24z1-VYneqi2r0CTxRQ1UfZU_RrZ_/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

emidyl

Reaction score
As you can see, not "perfect" by any stretch, but handmade and excellent quality. I am super picky when it comes to certain things bordering on OCD but need to be realistic. My LW Alden blucher in burnished tan are no different, never perfect but quality and you can see that someone has put in effort and time to produce the shoes.

trevorplease

Reaction score

sclemmons

Reaction score
I bought the Derby Brown Leather Shoe (horsebutt) from Mr. Porter. I have been very pleased with the size and quality. Break in will be ongoing but I feel certain these are the right size. Mr. Porter said "true to size" and I agree. It was striking to me that I got them at 1/2 off and there was nothing that said "final sale" from Mr. P. If that is correct, I have a lot of respect for them allowing me to try on sale stuff.

I have Aldens in 11.5 Barrie but ordered these Vibergs in 12 and they are a keeper. The last seems fuller in front and trim in the heel. With break in they should be perfect. They are full sized but stiff and I hope they last me a while. I can not imagine ordering these in a size smaller. I have had many Aldens but never a Viberg. These seem like a good alternative for Alden fatigue. Fingers crossed. My first experience with Mr. Porter has been good.

Reaction score
Break in will be ongoing but I feel certain these are the right size. Mr. Porter said "true to size" and I agree. It was striking to me that I got them at 1/2 off and there was nothing that said "final sale" from Mr. P. If that is correct, I have a lot of respect for them allowing me to try on sale stuff.

I have Aldens in 11.5 Barrie but ordered these Vibergs in 12 and they are a keeper. The last seems fuller in front and trim in the heel. With break in they should be perfect. They are full sized but stiff and I hope they last me a while. I can not imagine ordering these in a size smaller. I have had many Aldens but never a Viberg.

You ordered full size? That seems so unusual. Have Vibergs started becoming more TTS recently?

sclemmons

Reaction score
I have no idea. I read about Viberg here, saw them on sale at Mr. P and they advised True to Size. I ordered. So far so good. The V lack a little finish vs. the Alden but I have been very pleased with them for what I need. Horsebutt for half price. If they had a t-shirt that said that, I would buy one.

I had missed this whole thread before I bought them last week.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads