• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was not speaking to unlined shell on stitchdown, but to the lined shell on GYW which I have experience in.
Im not sure what in my response you are referencing with the above line? My main point in the first paragraph was that shell boots and shoes have always been looser on the same last and same size in Vass (handwelted) and Alden (GYW) and Viberg (Stitchdown), and the explanation has always been that the material is harder to pull as tight over the last. The lined vs unlined comment I made was just a comparison of exactly that.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks again.

Well, fortunately I like the boots I was considering selling so keeping them and enjoying them shall prevail. Unless I can get a fair trade...

But I will be a lot more selective in the future.

I've posted this before but one boot I wish I knew about before it sold out in my size was the 3sixteen Natty CXL roughout on stacked leather/mini ripple. Really good looking boots and a color brown that I don't have. Just a visually well balanced boot...I don't know if I've seen a stacked leather sole before.
Cool, no problem. Definitely, I think you will get more "value" using and enjoying them. I got those 3sixteen's in black, they are a unique design that I really like. Incidentally I find them to be a bit tight, Ive considered selling them due to fit but obviously I cant replace them. I have a theory that all the RO models are tighter.

gte872h

Reaction score

Im not sure what in my response you are referencing with the above line?  My main point in the first paragraph was that shell boots and shoes have always been looser on the same last and same size in Vass (handwelted) and Alden (GYW) and Viberg (Stitchdown), and the explanation has always been that the material is harder to pull as tight over the last.  The lined vs unlined comment I made was just a comparison of exactly that.

I cant speak to the GYW vs. Stitchdown tightness as I have never owned a GYW model.

I was referring to the fact you do not have experience in comparing Stitchdown vs GYW Vibergs. I do and was telling about my experience. It seems a bit more applicable to compare lined GYW Vibergs, since that is what the specs of the unglazed shell are. An apples to apples comparison if you will.

Joona

Reaction score
@metranger8694 Pantherella makes pretty thin merino wool socks (actual composition is 90 % merino,10 % nylon).

Last edited:

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was referring to the fact you do not have experience in comparing Stitchdown vs GYW Vibergs. I do and was telling about my experience. It seems a bit more applicable to compare lined GYW Vibergs, since that is what the specs of the unglazed shell are. An apples to apples comparison if you will.
Ok, understood. You are right, I dont own the Viberg GYW shell and CXL to compare and I agree the apples to apples GYW comparison would be best, although I do wonder if the pattern change will have an impact. Not to sound incredulous, but I would still be surprised if a lined Viberg shell boot was tighter than a lined Viberg cxl boot given what I mentioned above. I was not trying to invalidate your experience just providing an alternative experience.

Cole87

Reaction score
Ive said this before and I firmly believe there is much more variance across models, patterns and leathers than it might seem and many boots will feel tighter or looser than others even if they are marked the same size for no other reason than it happens. Alot of my Viberg boots vary across sizes within the same last and Ive returned or sold boots that I thought should fit but were too tight relative to other pairs Ive had in the same size. I posted a pic a while back of two exact sized 310 Aged Bark models one RO and one grain side they looked immensely different in the photo and the RO version felt tighter and ultimately I decided it wasnt going to work,
I agree completely. I also think the shape of your foot makes a big difference as far as where your foot is wide and how long your toes are. I have tried on 10.5 SD 2030, 10.5 SD 1035, 10.5 SD 110, 10 SD 110 in different leathers, and 10 GYW 2030. And after trying on a 10.5 SD 2030 and reading people comment that GYW is tighter than SD, I'd have thought there was no way these black camel sz 10 2030 in GYW would fit me, but they fit me the best of any boots I've ever worn with thin socks. However, that's because camel leather seems to be very soft and stretches easily. So while they're a bit snug in the width upon first putting them on, 30 minutes later they're super comfortable and have already conformed to my foot.

Whirling

Reaction score
My MTO Vibergs arrived today after only five short weeks!

Introduction

Along with many other great boots, I confess to loving my Vibergs. Although Viberg long ago ended their MTO program for fashion/service boots, they will still do limited MTO options on their work boot line.

I had been enjoying my Viberg 90 Stallion in "smooth out" black oil-tanned leather on Vibram 430s, with black edges and structured toes, so I thought I would like another variant. These are pretty much identical, except that they are black oil-tan rough-out, and the edges were clear-coated, instead of dyed black.
Due to how low volume my feet are, these are made on the typical "Packer" last that Viberg usually uses...I don't know what actual last they use.

Purchasing

Only five short WEEKS ago, on September 16, 2016, I called Viberg to order these over the phone from the woman to whom I usually speak. She is always friendly and helpful in a very natural, down-to-earth way. I was told the boots would take three or four MONTHS. I was told there would be a small up-charge for getting the edges clear-coated, instead of black, which sounded fair enough to me. Interestingly, though, there was no upcharge for rough-out or using different soles. With shipping, the total cost was $577.72 CAD, which is only about $20 CAD more than one would pay for the stock boots off of their website.
I was, of course, delighted to receive them so quickly. Viberg is like this. This is my third MTO, and they have always grossly overestimated how long it would take them to deliver my boots. They seem not to worry about scaring off business with long waits, and end up pleasantly surprising people who excitedly receive their boots many weeks early.

Initial Impressions

Seriously, Viberg knows how to make boots. They do it extremely well. They do it extremely consistently. They make boots that are made to be worn comfortably for many hours. The leather is first-rate, and, in this case, heavy and durable oil-tan. The nap on the rough-out is even and short, as most people prefer.
I haven't examined the boots under a scanning electron microscope yet, but, so far, I am not seeing any defects in stitching, or otherwise.

Fit and Sizing

I am a 10.5 C on a men's USA Brannock device, but my feet are low volume and my heel-to-ball lengths are 11 to 11.5. Because of the long arches and low volume, I do best sizing up on length and down on width. Viberg's work boot last are very high volume to accommodate thick socks and potentially insulating insoles for those Canadian winters. Thus, I got these in 10AA, which worked well on the first pair and, no surprise, works well on this pair. In the Viberg 55 Foreman boots, I have 10B, which works well too--because they are laced, they can have more room by default.

Like all footwear, but especially heavy duty footwear, you must first get the length right for your heel-to-ball length, and then work everything else out...so many people are sizing up or down on length to deal with width or volume or instep issues, but this is the path to foot-pain hell.

TL;DR

Viberg work boots are wonderful and lower priced than their service/fashion boots; plus, you can still get them with limited MTO options, including odd sizes.

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those look great with some wear on them...do you actually tighten the buckles once they are on? Or just find a spot that works and leave them.

Right now the lower shafts [above the ankle] are still a tad snug to slip in & out of, so I got the strap setting on loose to stretch the leather out a bit.

Last edited:

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My MTO Vibergs arrived today after only five short weeks!

TL;DR

Viberg work boots are wonderful and lower priced than their service/fashion boots; plus, you can still get them with limited MTO options, including odd sizes.
Those are pretty sweet, well done

Whirling

Reaction score

Those are pretty sweet, well done

Thank you. At the moment they are making me some Foreman 55 boots on a 310 last with five eyelets and mocha CXL...just kidding...I always worry they will find out I am not working in their work boots and cut me off or I will ask for too much, and they will cut me off...

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if they're technically "merino wool," but the best and thinnest wool socks I have ever owned, and I have owned many pair, are Pantherella from England.

I have a pair of Pantherella Argyle "Superfine" merino socks. I never thought of wearing them with boots though. But hey, I guess socks are socks.

But my question was for NYDRH who had tight boots.

I have a pair of William Abraham socks which are thinner than anything else I have but they are high calf dress socks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads