• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

billymax

Reaction score
Agreed on this, however I guess it is down to personal preference, as I also think partially structured 2030 stitchdown with no toe cap do not look particularly well balanced (on larger sizes of 10+), they just look to long in the toe area for me, especially on a shiny leather where the structured toe insert line is evident, this is masked somewhat on a roughout.

My general preference would be stitchdown 110, if not 2030 stitchdown with toe cap and partially structured (this seems to noticably widen the toe area and the cap breaks up the boot), or unstructured 2030 like the Boondocker, but even then I think these look too narrow in the toe for my liking especially after wearing 110's.
Agree. I've always thought that the 2030 looked two narrow. I have one pair that is fat across the waist and narrows to quickly. The 110 is more balanced and should get much more circulation, but it is clear that Viberg won't be making it. It's up to the handful of dwindling stocklists that still carry110s.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt he invested in new tech/machinery to not use it to it's full potential.

I know less than zero about their margins, products etc.or thought process...and I clearly can not do monetary conversions between Canada and the USA :) ..seems that GYW gives them a way to deliver 3 to 5 styles in a complete run to a vendor at one time...making that a really nice billable for Viberg. Multiply that by several vendors...especially new vendors that most likely do not want to start promoting a company like Viberg based on receiving a single boot run however for 3-5 it is worth it.

Hopefully as they build up the the revenue stream from new and current vendors with GYW that will allow them to focus on using.com to showcase some really cool leathers, different lasts, new designs and more stitchdown. There will be a whole new segment of buyers who only know Viberg as a GYW boot makers and eventually will make their way to .com and learn about the stitchdown models.

I'm not a cobbler, but I'm under the impression they can make more boots per day with less or equal labor and material with the GYW, therefor more profitable for .com sales and able to offer lower prices to the sellers that move big volume. But if .com, and small stockist sales decline, they may have to make the decision to do less GYW.

Indeed. It's a faster, cheaper construction method, and less sound. It's weird. On one hand he wants to hold on to his artistic vision, but on the other he wants to make the production line cheaper and faster.

AND increased sales.
Increase production and efficiency without sales and you need more warehouse space and labor for inventory.
It is certainly an exciting time at Viberg, I am sure. There are many challenges to developing and growing a brand while maintaining legacy and profitability. Nothing comes easy and you cant make everyone happy.

I do not presume to believe I could run their business better than them nor do I understand the intricacies of their operations or the manufacturing business for that matter. I am sure they have devised a long term strategy for their current vision and they are currently executing that plan. I am fascinated by it from a purely intellectual standpoint having read too many business cases in school, and ultimately would like to launch my own business. I am also obviously interested as a loyal customer.

I have lots of thoughts of what I would do if I were in their situation and I can make many arguments in many different directions, as I am sure everyone on this board can do as well.

Their margins and profitability are none of my business, in as far as I wish them well and I hope they remain profitable.

I know what attracted me to the brand, how I enjoy many of their products and wish to purchase more. I also have a strong feeling towards certain offerings I would never buy, and I have that feeling towards almost every brand/maker that I purchase products from.

At the moment, I have not seen a GYW offering that I want, and many I do not like (I really don't like the hikers on Mr. Porter with GYW and the price premium would be a bonus kick in the nuts). One of the recent suede ones looks ok to me but that is about as far as I would go. That is a purely aesthetic point of view and I have limited knowledge of which version of construction is truly better or whether that even matters in day to day pedestrian use. It does appear stitchdown is more labor intensive and thus a premium to produce.

To me the GYW service boots are a completely different product than the stitchdown models, maybe liken it to a diffusion line even though it is more or less meant to be the same thing. The overall look of their stitchdown boots is one of the main reasons I bought my first pair ,and the GYW ones just dont look the same so to me it is like I am looking at a different product. I prefer the way the stitchdown looks, and I think it is more comfortable in the way the whole boot moves with your foot, I dont think Im imagining that but who knows.

I'd like to believe they are not completely doing away with stitchdown offerings, they will just be more rare and for people who care about such things - stitchdown is the new shell cordovan. As long as they don't get rid of the reconstruction offering of stitchdown boots I already own. I wont be upset if they never make another stitchdown I wont be upset, I'll just be disappointed, and unlikely I will remain a current customer. The one opinion that matters from my perspective is where my money goes.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agree.   I've always thought that the 2030 looked two narrow.   I have one pair that is fat across the waist and narrows to quickly.  The 110 is more balanced and should get much more circulation, but it is clear that Viberg won't be making it.   It's up to the handful of dwindling stocklists that still carry110s. 

I regret not getting a 110 boondocker back when they were available. I settled on a 2030 version to fill that void.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To me the GYW service boots are a completely different product than the stitchdown models, maybe liken it to a diffusion line even though it is more or less meant to be the same thing. The overall look of their stitchdown boots is one of the main reasons I bought my first pair ,and the GYW ones just dont look the same so to me it is like I am looking at a different product. I prefer the way the stitchdown looks, and I think it is more comfortable in the way the whole boot moves with your foot, I dont think Im imagining that but who knows.

I'd like to believe they are not completely doing away with stitchdown offerings, they will just be more rare and for people who care about such things - stitchdown is the new shell cordovan.  As long as they don't get rid of the reconstruction offering of stitchdown boots I already own. I wont be upset if they never make another stitchdown I wont be upset, I'll just be disappointed, and unlikely I will remain a current customer.  The one opinion that matters from my perspective is where my money goes.

another reason I snatched a pair of the 2030 boondockers. wasn't sure if there would be any more SD boondockers down the road.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The color on the welt. On mine, the welt and midsole are both finished a nice medium brown. These look like natural unfinished welts, like an indy boot.

I don't recall how mine had come. My natural shell boots have the unfinished welt as well with darker edges so I thought that was standard.

NorthCoast

Reaction score
>At the moment, I have not seen a GYW offering that I want, and many I do not like (I really don't like the hikers on Mr. Porter with GYW and the price premium would be a bonus kick in the nuts)

No way I'm paying $800 usd for a non stitchdown Viberg.

Chop Chop

Reaction score
The shape on the GYW service boots is very unflattering. I wouldn't buy a pair for $200. Joints are doodoo.

Post those Hopper pics when they arrive fellas!

mb123

Reaction score
Yup. No wonder all the gyw offerings on viberg.com are all in Stock. I don't think any of them got sold out like the Stitchdown ones usually do. Even the standard cxl Stitchdown gets sold out pretty fast. The gyw cxl and calf ones have been in Stock for over 6 months. Get the hint viberg!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads