• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

janoy89

Reaction score
Changing specs mid production is still pretty ******, puts retailers in an awkward position and if I'm paying 700 I want what I ordered not Brett Vibergs vision.

ShootThePier

Reaction score

I dont want to put words in people's mouths but I think there are two different issues here and fok was only responding to one of them.  The first issue of the change of number of eyelets in a pre-order is what I believe he was addressing.  The second of the mismatched pair of boots, I dont think was included in his commentary. 

Thank you NYDRH. I saw that after replying, but it is the same issue. One got sent, they other is about s cancellation.
I don't think any members here want Viberg to do some thing that goes against their vision, or to lose money. Most people just want to feel that their orders will be honored as they are initially advertised. Fear that the agreement today will not be reflected in the delivery tomorrow can be a big mistake.

Diabolical

Reaction score
Changing specs mid production is still pretty ******, puts retailers in an awkward position and if I'm paying 700 I want what I ordered not Brett Vibergs vision.
When you order, you only get to specify if you want the small or large eyelets. The number of eyelets is dependent on how the machine is configured at the time since it takes a lot of time to reconfigure it.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you NYDRH. I saw that after replying, but it is the same issue. One got sent, they other is about s cancellation.
I don't think any members here want Viberg to do some thing that goes against their vision, or to lose money. Most people just want to feel that their orders will be honored as they are initially advertised. Fear that the agreement today will not be reflected in the delivery tomorrow can be a big mistake.

I hear what you're saying and agree with many of your points, particularly as they relate to the overall big picture. I don't have any first hand experience dealing with them as a retail partner so it's difficult to comment but I haven't noticed too many instances where they fail to deliver. Like many/most, I vote with my wallet when it comes to my purchases and I like to deal with businesses that treat me fairly and I move on when I feel like I haven't been. All businesses make mistakes and im sure they will figure out how to avoid this in the future.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folk,
I stopped reading your reply one sentence in. No offense, but there is no excuse for two different boots, I'm guessing Brett will 150% agree with that statement.
I am the "Brett Viberg" of my business. Businesses fail without customers. Especially when making changes to your core identity, you have to demonstrate consistency and care, no matter how different your product is. People work hard for their money, we should be willing to work equally as hard for their business.
No disrespect intended, but excuses are only excuses.
I meant only to address the change in the number of eyelets. Obvious, mismatched eyelets are another matter altogether.

I dont want to put words in people's mouths but I think there are two different issues here and fok was only responding to one of them. The first issue of the change of number of eyelets in a pre-order is what I believe he was addressing. The second of the mismatched pair of boots, I dont think was included in his commentary.

I'm going to say here that the issue may not be as clear cut as you think it is. It's very possible that the retailer, having ordered, or seen, similar boots with X number of eyelets, put in a purchase order without first having been greenlighted. 2015 was a big year of change for Viberg, and I know that a lot of stuff that used to be pretty open were tightened up. IN our last set of GMTOs, now in production, we had a similar issue. The preorder system, which is becoming more and more popular for obvious reasons, does expose end customers to vendor/retailer issues that have previously always been opaque to the end customer. This is more apparent in an industry like fashion than in something like consumer electronics, where things are generally much more codified and standardized.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they will too. Because of that I plan to bid on the charity auction.
Re. the mismatched eyelets, I am 100% confident that that will be addressed. That is just a pair of boots that should never have left the factory, but that apparently, no one, the end customer included noticed until now. I have a pair of Carmina boots that are actually 1/2 sizes different that I did not notice until.... 10 years after I had them. Serious.

jsd642

Reaction score

Re. the mismatched eyelets, I am 100% confident that that will be addressed.  That is just a pair of boots that should never have left the factory, but that apparently, no one, the end customer included noticed until now.  I have a pair of Carmina boots that are actually 1/2 sizes different that I did not notice until.... 10 years after I had them.  Serious.

Haha, yeah I actually love the boots, and once the other dude posted a picture of the 8 eyelets I was like "man I swear mine have 7!"...I am curious as to what options viberg may have to fix them up (actually don't think you could fix this issue, but maybe replace one?)

Once you notice... It's a bit more bothersome haha

sask boot

Reaction score

Cant see them all the in the pictures but after reading I checked mine and I have 8 eyelets the same size.
satisfied.gif

Graemsay

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with companies imposing their house style on customers, though I'd prefer there to be a dialogue. Sure a product has to reflect well on its manufacturer, but they're not the ones having to live with the choices on a day-to-day basis.

Take the Cordovan service boots that are coming up for auction soon. Let's say I won them and wanted them on a full ripple sole, because they make all footwear 100% more awesome, then it wouldn't be entirely unreasonable for Brett to say no on the grounds of aesthetics. However if I wanted to go with (say) the 1035 or 2040 last to improve fit, then I think that would be a different matter. They might not look quite so elegant, but with size 14 feet that's always going to be a tough proposition, but they'd possibly look better and feel more comfortable.

Graemsay

Reaction score
Incidentally if anyone from Viberg is reading this, please sort out your Size Guide page. I'm pretty certain that the fit details for the 2045, 1035, 110 and 310 lasts have been "coming soon" for over a year.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't have a problem with companies imposing their house style on customers, though I'd prefer there to be a dialogue. Sure a product has to reflect well on its manufacturer, but they're not the ones having to live with the choices on a day-to-day basis.

Take the Cordovan service boots that are coming up for auction soon. Let's say I won them and wanted them on a full ripple sole, because they make all footwear 100% more awesome, then it wouldn't be entirely unreasonable for Brett to say no on the grounds of aesthetics. However if I wanted to go with (say) the 1035 or 2040 last to improve fit, then I think that would be a different matter. They might not look quite so elegant, but with size 14 feet that's always going to be a tough proposition, but they'd possibly look better and feel more comfortable.

I don't agree at all. Shell is difficult to work with, especially the lasting process. Viberg, I believe, has only worked with shell on the 2030. So what seems like no big deal to you could be incredibly difficult for the manufacturer

Capsicum

Reaction score
I don't agree at all. Shell is difficult to work with, especially the lasting process. Viberg, I believe, has only worked with shell on the 2030. So what seems like no big deal to you could be incredibly difficult for the manufacturer
1035 color 8 from .com last year.
2045 MTO back in the days if you scroll back the images in this thread.
310 scotch grain shell few years back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads