• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But the basic assumption here is that creasing is bad. Not everyone feels this way. Some, myself included, embrace it as part of the nature of CXL. I actually think it looks best beat up but well brushed. I'll post a pic of my brown Viberg CXL boots shortly, which I've worn daily for almost 1.5 years. A little brushing and the occasional polish and they look great.

Having handled several Alden boots in CXL, I can definitively state that they do not choose the same thickness of leather. The CXL Indy boot is roughly 1/3-1/2 thinner than my service boot leather.

No, you're right of course, and I don't mean to imply that creasing or wear in general is bad. Not by any means. It is rather the type of creasing and wear, and how quickly it happens. There was that pair of black CXLs a few weeks ago that look pretty bad, however you slice it, after one day! So again, I am not against creasing or wear, but I think there are various kinds and levels.

With regard to Alden, yeah I know they have QC issues, etc, but I have to say my CXL Aldens look exactly the way you want CXL to look after a year. As others have said before, thickness of the leather is not necessarily the most important thing.

Aviv

Reaction score
No, you're right of course, and I don't mean to imply that creasing or wear in general is bad. Not by any means. It is rather the type of creasing and wear, and how quickly it happens. There was that pair of black CXLs a few weeks ago that look pretty bad, however you slice it, after one day! So again, I am not against creasing or wear, but I think there are various kinds and levels.

With regard to Alden, yeah I know they have QC issues, etc, but I have to say my CXL Aldens look exactly the way you want CXL to look after a year. As others have said before, thickness of the leather is not necessarily the most important thing.

Fair enough - another good point that thickness does not necessarily mean better. I think in terms of the stitch down Viberg uses this is probably key, if for nothing other than needing a leather that can handle it (which really makes me wonder why they don't continue doing the core CXL boots in stitch down).

Alden, while not necessarily being terrible in terms of QC, just made me want something more substantial for a 500 boot.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair enough - another good point that thickness does not necessarily mean better. I think in terms of the stitch down Viberg uses this is probably key, if for nothing other than needing a leather that can handle it (which really makes me wonder why they don't continue doing the core CXL boots in stitch down).

Alden, while not necessarily being terrible in terms of QC, just made me want something more substantial for a 500 boot.

Right on. I have worn workboots pretty much all my life, and I remember hearing about the "Indy Boot" years ago, how it was the "grandaddy of all work boots" etc., and when I finally saw a pair I was not impressed. They seemed more like shoes to me than boots. But after a while the sheer old-fashionedness of them started to win me over. And then at some point I discovered that until the movie made them famous they had been, for decades, known by Alden as "the High Work Shoe." That made sense to me, and I decided that instead of adding a pair shoes to my rotation of boots, I'd just add the Indy boot. My White's are my daily boot, but the Aldens are there when I want something lighter, slightly more dressy, and more shoe-like.

And now, back to Viberg...

Last edited:

oynag

Reaction score
Friction. Those boots above likely saw hard use from some sort of outdoor endeavour.

Agreed. Everyone with a pair of waxed flesh boots has probably seen that picture and lusted after it as the desired end state of their experience, me included. My backstory for those boots is long miles on a motorcycle- shifting, rubbing against pipes or frame. One's mind can wander and imagine how they became what they are.

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed. Everyone with a pair of waxed flesh boots has probably seen that picture and lusted after it as the desired end state of their experience, me included. My backstory for those boots is long miles on a motorcycle- shifting, rubbing against pipes or frame. One's mind can wander and imagine how they became what they are.

Yeah, lusting is right.

I don't ride a motorcycle. I play horseshoes a lot so I'll wear them then.

I may also rub them against my metal softball bat! It's gonna take a long time to get anywhere I bet.

CelliniEVO

Reaction score

Yeah, lusting is right.

I don't ride a motorcycle. I play horseshoes a lot so I'll wear them then.

I may also rub them against my metal softball bat! It's gonna take a long time to get anywhere I bet.

Would love to see how these are looking today! I remember these belonging to a photographer friend of Brett Viberg's

Nuckinya

Reaction score
Thanks for answering my questions guys! I do have one more thing to ask though. I am tossing up between the Viberg Service Boot and the Oak Street Trench Boot, as they both have that slimmer aesthetic. Before I dive into buying anything, I was wondering if anyone has seen both these boots in person? I ask because whilst I am willing to drop the $$ on the Viberg, I would like to consider the cheaper option in the Oak Street boots. I first want to get a feel for how they compare in terms of the toe curve, because most of the pictures I've seen of the Oak street boots make it look like the toe box curves upwards a lot compared to the Vibergs.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for answering my questions guys! I do have one more thing to ask though. I am tossing up between the Viberg Service Boot and the Oak Street Trench Boot, as they both have that slimmer aesthetic. Before I dive into buying anything, I was wondering if anyone has seen both these boots in person? I ask because whilst I am willing to drop the $$ on the Viberg, I would like to consider the cheaper option in the Oak Street boots. I first want to get a feel for how they compare in terms of the toe curve, because most of the pictures I've seen of the Oak street boots make it look like the toe box curves upwards a lot compared to the Vibergs.
What last on the Vibergs?

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 2030 last

I've owned a couple of Oak Street Trench boots (still own one) and quite a few pairs of Vibergs, most on the 2030.

I know I'm biased but the extra dollars for the Vibergs are worth it to me. The materials and construction of Vibergs is significantly above that of OSB Trench boots. The Trench boots are a decent value for the money but if you're willing to spend the dollars, I'd definitely go with Vibergs.

The upturned toe you're seeing in the pictures of the Trench boots, I don't really see in real life. I use trees in all my boots and with the use of trees, the toe uplift is about the same. There's no real "sprung" toe in Trench boots, like say the Viberg 310 last.

I shouldn't say this here but one boot manufacturer that intrigues me is Truman.

Nuckinya

Reaction score

I've owned a couple of Oak Street Trench boots (still own one) and quite a few pairs of Vibergs, most on the 2030.

I know I'm biased but the extra dollars for the Vibergs are worth it to me.  The materials and construction of Vibergs is significantly above that of OSB Trench boots.  The Trench boots are a decent value for the money but if you're willing to spend the dollars, I'd definitely go with Vibergs.

The upturned toe you're seeing in the pictures of the Trench boots, I don't really see in real life.  I use trees in all my boots and with the use of trees, the toe uplift is about the same.  There's no real "sprung" toe in Trench boots, like say the Viberg 310 last.

I shouldn't say this here but one boot manufacturer that intrigues me is Truman.

Cheers for the advice. Also, with shoe trees, can they help the issue of "toe curve"?

gambit402

Reaction score
I have Vibergs and a pair of OSB trench boots. I'm not a fan of the OSBs really and have relegated them to being **** kickers. The shape of the OSBs don't appeal to me as much as they did when I saw them online.

gambit402

Reaction score
2 questions.

1) Kind of looking for a pair of black boots and the Unicorn scout boots on Viberg's site has my attention as well as the black oil tan roughouts from Mr Porter. My question is are these suitable for rain and is one more durable and ages better than the other?

2) Went for a good hike today with the kids and got a pretty good scuff on my Coffee Chromepaks. Is there a way to buff it out or at least blend it in more? Scuffs and nicks don't bother me that much but this is by itself so it really stands out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads