• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sf nattys today

typericey

Reaction score
The thought that I may have bought a boot that's a half size too large is eating into the back of my mind. My one and only Viberg is a size 9 service boot in 2030 last.

- I measure a 9E on the brannock with medium weight socks
- I'm a size 9.5 in Nike and New Balance, sometimes a size 10 in adidas and Reebok
- 8.5D in Red Wing Iron Ranger
- 9US/8UK/42 in most other brands i.e. Clarks, Camper, Dr. Martens

Unfortunately, an 8.5 was not available to try on at the time of purchase, but upon trying the 9, it felt just right at the time.

However now, while wearing it, it seems to look large on me. There is about an 1-1.25" of space between the tip of my toes and the tip of the boot, and I can comfortably wiggle my toes while wearing them (i.e. they do not feel snug with immovable toes). My heel moves a bit while walking, not sure if I should call it heel slip. Thing is,with shoes I prefer to to err towards larger, than smaller. Finally, I think I am what you would call a "noob" when it comes to work boots, unlike most of you.

Based on what is shared, do you think I should size down half?

totalair1

Reaction score

The thought that I may have bought a boot that's a half size too large is eating into the back of my mind. My one and only Viberg is a size 9 service boot in 2030 last. - I measure a 9E on the brannock with medium weight socks - I'm a size 9.5 in Nike and New Balance, sometimes a size 10 in adidas and Reebok - 8.5D in Red Wing Iron Ranger - 9US/8UK/42 in most other brands i.e. Clarks, Camper, Dr. Martens Unfortunately, an 8.5 was not available to try on at the time of purchase, but upon trying the 9, it felt just right at the time. However now, while wearing it, it seems to look large on me. There is about an 1-1.25" of space between the tip of my toes and the tip of the boot, and I can comfortably wiggle my toes while wearing them (i.e. they do not feel snug with immovable toes). My heel moves a bit while walking, not sure if I should call it heel slip. Thing is,with shoes I prefer to to err towards larger, than smaller. Finally, I think I am what you would call a "noob" when it comes to work boots, unlike most of you. Based on what is shared, do you think I should size down half?
Having wiggle room for your toes is ok, and minor heel slip is too. How close together does the lacing flaps pull together? If the flaps touch they might be too big. One mistake I've made in the past was my boot felt comfortable on flat ground but when I hiked down hill my big toe touched the end of the boot and caused me to lose a toe nail. It's rare to get a perfect fit and in my opinion err a little large. You might try a thicker sock and see what that does for you. My feet tend to be a little bigger by day's end and I always judge the fit when my foot is biggest. Steve

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^I think the most important thing with fit is where the ball of your foot falls. If it falls naturally just after the vamp, then you probably have the right size. Everyone's toes are a different length. I also tend to wear thick socks and insoles, so I tend to err toward the larger size. Shoes that are too tight are unwearable, whereas those that are a tad loose can be adjusted with inserts/socks/heel and tongue pads.

The other thing that I've noticed, as have others, is that heel slip tends to go away after the boots break in and it's easier to use the laces to cinch down the heel.

FWIW, I measure a 9.5D in Brannock and I wear a 9 in most workboots, including Viberg. 8.5 is generally a little tight around the forefoot.

typericey

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to respond Steve/totalair1. It gave me some peace of mind. The flaps dont touch and have an inch or so gap.

Maybe the 2030 is just more pointy than what I am used to, making them look large.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to respond Steve/totalair1. It gave me some peace of mind. The flaps dont touch and have an inch or so gap.

Maybe the 2030 is just more pointy than what I am used to, making them look large.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree with what others have said and go with a thicker sock...as the sole breaks in and gets more flexible the heel slippage will diminish. Just off of sizing alone it sounds like 8.5 would be your size in the 2030 if your toes are comfortable in it. Great looking boots by the way.

schmallo15

Reaction score

The thought that I may have bought a boot that's a half size too large is eating into the back of my mind. My one and only Viberg is a size 9 service boot in 2030 last. - I measure a 9E on the brannock with medium weight socks - I'm a size 9.5 in Nike and New Balance, sometimes a size 10 in adidas and Reebok - 8.5D in Red Wing Iron Ranger - 9US/8UK/42 in most other brands i.e. Clarks, Camper, Dr. Martens Unfortunately, an 8.5 was not available to try on at the time of purchase, but upon trying the 9, it felt just right at the time. However now, while wearing it, it seems to look large on me. There is about an 1-1.25" of space between the tip of my toes and the tip of the boot, and I can comfortably wiggle my toes while wearing them (i.e. they do not feel snug with immovable toes). My heel moves a bit while walking, not sure if I should call it heel slip. Thing is,with shoes I prefer to to err towards larger, than smaller. Finally, I think I am what you would call a "noob" when it comes to work boots, unlike most of you. Based on what is shared, do you think I should size down half?
We're the same Brannock size. For what it's worth, I take an 8.5D Barrie, 8UK on most English shoes and wear an 8.5 comfortably on the 2030

CPaul

Reaction score
1-1.25 inch toe space? That's a ton. I had 1 inch and sized down. So much better now just need to sell the ones that are too big now

varsityreds0123

Reaction score
1-1.25 inch toe space? That's a ton. I had 1 inch and sized down. So much better now just need to sell the ones that are too big now

In my opinion, it's not as drastic as you make it out to be. On certain shoes, I would prefer wearing a thick sock to accommodate the difference, as opposed to having my shoes snug, especially on a boot that I'm going to be walking around a lot in.

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In my opinion, it's not as drastic as you make it out to be. On certain shoes, I would prefer wearing a thick sock to accommodate the difference, as opposed to having my shoes snug, especially on a boot that I'm going to be walking around a lot in.

I've got just about a thumbs width in extra length and its perfect.

Notre just came out with their new Vibergs. The black waxed and moose leather ones are really nice. Too bad(for me) they're on the 2030.

CPaul

Reaction score

How thick are these socks? I guess it all comes down to preference and would definitely at least try a smaller size to see how it feels.

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anyone hear yet from Lost & Found about the nat cxl service boots? I'll email them later this week for an update

I got an e-mail from the store owner a couple of minutes ago. My boots have arrived.

I'm debating on heading over today to pick them up. Failing that, Thursday. I'll need to bring two different pairs of socks to see how they fit on me....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads