• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

I LOVE THESE. Sucks that apparently my size is one of the more popular ones and unavailable. Goddammit.

Thanks, man. Maybe a restock or you'll be able to get something similar on one of the future GMTOs. (instead of the GSK??)

jp2k1

Reaction score
Interesting. The way the vamp matches the hell counter, and the captoe matches the quarter is a little unusual, but the color is beautiful nonetheless!
If you look at it from a different angle the shade changes- i.e., dark to light and vice versa.

Seacrest

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with Brookly Clothing Company? They've got one in my size. I might be calling uncle.

I was asking about the supply chain because I'd really rather buy from Viberg directly. If more brown or natural CXL boots are expected between now and Christmas I'd rather wait.
Had great experience with the guys at BCC. Got my boots within 2 days of ordering.

Talked to them today and they said they'd have a restock on the Olive & Black calf service boots online by tomorrow!

Bbombers85

Reaction score
Would the consensus be that Viberg does a better job at clicking than alden does with chromexcel? A lot of the Chromexcel I've seen from Alden lately has loose grain creasing. Debating towards this Leffot pre-order tomorrow.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Would the consensus be that Viberg does a better job at clicking than alden does with chromexcel? A lot of the Chromexcel I've seen from Alden lately has loose grain creasing. Debating towards this Leffot pre-order tomorrow.
I would say that the clicking is about on par. However, from my experience the CXL that Viberg uses is roughly twice the thickness of Alden's

ScuffedBluchers

Reaction score
Chromepack is just CXL with more oil stuffed into it, right? Does that mean scuffs buff out of it more easily, and or that it's more durable?

Last edited:

rutabaga

Reaction score

I would say that the clicking is about on par. However, from my experience the CXL that Viberg uses is roughly twice the thickness of Alden's

Viberg might be a hair better or the volume Alden does might throw things off. They're probably even. Thicker CXL leads to more break/loose grain. See the Horween screed on CXL where they say any break/loose grain is business as usual.

Chromepack is just CXL with more leather stuffed into it, right? Does that mean scuffs buff out of it more easily, and or that it's more durable?

Yo dog, I heard you like leather, so I stuffed leather in your leather so you can boot while you boot.

sklark23

Reaction score
Chromepack is just CXL with more leather stuffed into it, right? Does that mean scuffs buff out of it more easily, and or that it's more durable?
They are both pull-up leathers but are quite different. It really isn't more stuffed CXL. They have different feels, are tanned differently (afaik Chromepak is straight chrome tanned), are dyed differently, etc.

Chromepak is hard to describe, it is super oily when you first get it, it eventually goes away, it is an insane pull-up, and feels like it could last forever. you should really order a pair of quoddies and feel the tag.

ScuffedBluchers

Reaction score
They are both pull-up leathers but are quite different. It really isn't more stuffed CXL. They have different feels, are tanned differently (afaik Chromepak is straight chrome tanned), are dyed differently, etc.

Chromepak is hard to describe, it is super oily when you first get it, it eventually goes away, it is an insane pull-up, and feels like it could last forever. you should really order a pair of quoddies and feel the tag.
Insane pull-up means easier to scuff that CXL? I'm just trying to assess durability when deciding between CXL and the Chromer.

gsgleason

Reaction score
I must have a Viberg boot, and I'm looking at some upcoming options.

I'd like some opinions on black CXL vs waxed flesh.

I already have natural and brown CXL Aldens, and I like the material, but it's seems not particularly tough. It scuffs very easily and stretches something fierce.

I've never seen or felt Horween's 'waxed flesh' which is flesh-side-out with heavy waxing.

Opine, please.

Skell6009

Reaction score

I already have natural and brown CXL Aldens, and I like the material, but it's seems not particularly tough. It scuffs very easily and stretches something fierce.

I've never seen or felt Horween's 'waxed flesh' which is flesh-side-out with heavy waxing.

Opine, please.
I actually just took these pics of my brown waxed flesh service boots for r/goodyearwelt.

About 1-2 months wear: http://imgur.com/a/n3eI2

And this is when they were brand new: http://imgur.com/a/YTEgF

I absolutely love the leather. I think it fits the workwear boot style perfectly because it shows wear so easily. You don't really need to worry about some of the drawbacks of CXL's grain side with the waxed flesh.

gsgleason

Reaction score

Opine, please.

I actually just took these pics of my brown waxed flesh service boots for r/goodyearwelt.

About 1-2 months wear: http://imgur.com/a/n3eI2

And this is when they were brand new: http://imgur.com/a/YTEgF

I absolutely love the leather. I think it fits the workwear boot style perfectly because it shows wear so easily. You don't really need to worry about some of the drawbacks of CXL's grain side with the waxed flesh.
Thanks, Skell. Do you feel like the waxed flesh is more tough/durable than cxl?

Skell6009

Reaction score
Thanks, Skell. Do you feel like the waxed flesh is more tough/durable than cxl?
Well, like you mentioned, it is CXL but with oils and waxes sealed on the roughout side instead of the grain side. But I've only had the boots for a little over a month so I can't really attest to its long term durability.

However, I will say that I've had a few instances where I've hit something with my foot and I looked down at my boot expecting a big mark but absolutely nothing happened. The waxed flesh does a good job of taking scuffs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads