• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my head lol? You sure it's not in your head? Viberg has UK sizing and recommends 1 down from brannock for most people as well. Only if you're feet are wider than normal do they recommend half a size down. I actually see you posting all the time speaking in absolutes using your own personal experience not even what viberg themselves recommend.
Viberg recommends 1.5 down for 110 last which is batshit crazy as well as 1 down for 2020 which is nearly as ill advised. They are widely known not to give good sizing advice. I've sized hundreds of people at this point, and seen tens of thousands of dollars of collections get resold due to ill fit as well. Hell I was a 1 down boy when I was new too. Viberg just a few weeks ago told someone to size 2 down to prevent excessive shell rolling.... I have a lot of love for the team at Viberg, but sizing is not theirs or frankly most manufacturer's strong suits.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Viberg recommends 1.5 down for 110 last which is batshit crazy as well as 1 down for 2020 which is nearly as ill advised. They are widely known not to give good sizing advice. I've sized hundreds of people at this point, and seen tens of thousands of dollars of collections get resold due to ill fit as well. Hell I was a 1 down boy when I was new too. Viberg just a few weeks ago told someone to size 2 down to prevent excessive shell rolling.... I have a lot of love for the team at Viberg, but sizing is not theirs or frankly most manufacturer's strong suits.
Do you have specific examples where someone with a normal width foot (US D/E) sized down 1 from their *HTB* size and eventually sold and sized up?

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have specific examples where someone with a normal width foot (US D/E) sized down 1 from their *HTB* size and eventually sold and sized up?
I don't known if I should start tagging people, but its a lot - a good number of people who have been here for awhile too. It is important also to mention to the community, as I don't think the news has made its way to SF yet, but there are also several confirmed cases of Haglunds from people missizing too. Haglunds is permanent. Please. Please be careful. Also if you have not rebrannocked yourself recently do so as well. A number of people have gotten arch collapse early increasing their brannock by 0.5-1 sizes. All men will get arch collapse eventually, but certain lifestyles and genetics can contribute to it earlier.

You can be 1 down. That's fine, but make sure it is 1 down from a complete brannock reading with both HTT and HTB. If you stick with .5 down you're more likely to be safe, even when you do get arch collapse eventually.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't known if I should start tagging people, but its a lot - a good number of people who have been here for awhile too. It is important also to mention to the community, as I don't think the news has made its way to SF yet, but there are also several confirmed cases of Haglunds from people missizing too. Haglunds is permanent. Please. Please be careful. Also if you have not rebrannocked yourself recently do so as well. A number of people have gotten arch collapse early increasing their brannock by 0.5-1 sizes. All men will get arch collapse eventually, but certain lifestyles and genetics can contribute to it earlier.

You can be 1 down. That's fine, but make sure it is 1 down from a complete brannock reading with both HTT and HTB. If you stick with .5 down you're more likely to be safe, even when you do get arch collapse eventually.
Yeah I’m asking for tags, because I find it hard to believe that this is a common occurrence. I assume by far the more common issue is that people are sizing down 1 from HTT, not realizing their HTB is longer.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I’m asking for tags, because I find it hard to believe that this is a common occurrence. I assume by far the more common issue is that people are sizing down 1 from HTT, not realizing their HTB is longer.
That is one of the major issues. Most people have a longer HTB than HTT. Its the majority of SDP members barring a few people take 1/2 down now. So @SDP (lol?) I don't know the crossover of memberships. I know @Turns31 @sononchalant @honestpanda @nareichert are the active members in both communities off the top of my head. There's a good number more.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO, always better to go bigger and compensate with a boot sock if necessary than to go too small and risk all sorts of foot issues. Of course you shouldn’t go way too big either, but it’s better to err that way.

I’ve always gone 1/2 down from brannock for viberg but recently went to TTS with thicker socks and have found it to be the ideal fit. No more foot pain.

WatchesCars

Reaction score

2020 is perfect 1 size down from brannock. Again your inserting your personal experience here. Most of vibergs customers go 1 down from brannock because that's how they design their lasts with UK sizing and arch fit. They do mention half a size down for wider than average feet in width or instep. Not sure why you think your opinion has more authority than the shoemaker themselves

Last edited:

99Tjadams

Reaction score
Not sure if this applies but I am going through sizing right now so maybe you will find helpful.

Before finding this forum I bought a Viberg 2030 (used older model) in a size 8

I had read that it was ok to size down by 1 and my converse are size 9, runners size 9 or 9.5, Thursday sneaker 9.5(narrow), Blundstone 8UK, Dayton boot size 8 and size 8.5

The size 8 (1 down) fits, but I with medium hiking socks is too snug all around even though length is ok. With sock liners it’s ok, but still a snug fit width wise at the front of foot.

Have had them since January and try to walk 15min every two weeks and still getting heel lift and heel blisters every single time I use them.

I’m certain now that sizing 1 down is on the hairy edge of too small.

I finally found the forum, bought a brannock, I’m a 9HTT and 9HTB in the brannock width is between D/E and because I’m used to wearing EEE width safety boots all day much prefer a looser fit.

So bought a 8.5E in a new Viberg.
I can likely also go TTS and get a 9D for the same width/similar volume but haven’t tried yet.
I assume a 9D would be half size down from the 9.5D Thursday sneaker I have.

Anyways, just wanted to say that I would not try going 1 full size down unless you have a narrow foot.

WatchesCars

Reaction score
Not sure if this applies but I am going through sizing right now so maybe you will find helpful.

Before finding this forum I bought a Viberg 2030 (used older model) in a size 8

I had read that it was ok to size down by 1 and my converse are size 9, runners size 9 or 9.5, Thursday sneaker 9.5(narrow), Blundstone 8UK, Dayton boot size 8 and size 8.5

The size 8 (1 down) fits, but I with medium hiking socks is too snug all around even though length is ok. With sock liners it’s ok, but still a snug fit width wise at the front of foot.

Have had them since January and try to walk 15min every two weeks and still getting heel lift and heel blisters every single time I use them.

I’m certain now that sizing 1 down is on the hairy edge of too small.

I finally found the forum, bought a brannock, I’m a 9HTT and 9HTB in the brannock width is between D/E and because I’m used to wearing EEE width safety boots all day much prefer a looser fit.

So bought a 8.5E in a new Viberg.
I can likely also go TTS and get a 9D for the same width/similar volume but haven’t tried yet.
I assume a 9D would be half size down from the 9.5D Thursday sneaker I have.

Anyways, just wanted to say that I would not try going 1 full size down unless you have a narrow foot.

That's exactly where viberg would have you, since your width is between D and E, they would put you at half a size down instead

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2020 is perfect 1 size down from brannock. Again your inserting your personal experience here. Most of vibergs customers go 1 down from brannock because that's how they design their lasts with UK sizing and arch fit. They do mention half a size down for wider than average feet in width or instep
More than half take em same size as TB/Barrie at .5 down from brannock. 2020 specifically is almost never taken 1 down, even by people who take most other lasts 1 down. You must have very low volume/narrow feet or just be poorly sized. Again, Viberg is not known for good sizing advice.

WatchesCars

Reaction score
More than half take em same size as TB/Barrie at .5 down from brannock. 2020 specifically is almost never taken 1 down, even by people who take most other lasts 1 down. You must have very low volume/narrow feet or just be poorly sized. Again, Viberg is not known for good sizing advice.

I have dead average D width feet. I've also sold 2020 pairs to people with my exact foot size so I personally only know people that go 1 down, no one half down. This is all anecdotal stats were arguing about either way. I'll listen to the Shoemaker over the opinion of someone all day. Size as you wish

By the way all my crockett and jones shoes/boots/loafers at 1 down which is standard for UK sizing fit tigher than all my vibergs at 1 down, including my 2050 lasted vibergs but it's still my right size arch wise

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have dead average D width feet. I've also sold 2020 pairs to people with my exact foot size so I personally only know people that go 1 down, no one half down. This is all anecdotal stats were arguing about either way. I'll listen to the Shoemaker over the opinion of someone all day. Size as you wish

By the way all my crockett and jones shoes/boots/loafers at 1 down which is standard for UK sizing fit tigher than all my vibergs at 1 down, including my 2050 lasted vibergs but it's still my right size arch wise
Youre missing the point entirely, but if youre also taking 2050 at 1 down there's no hope for you. Try to come to bootcamp next year, I may be running the sizing booth with another member and I'll get you properly sized.

adrs1157

Reaction score
It may be anecdotal evidence, but there's tons of it on this forum and it's from people who are more cognizant of their footwear and how they like things to fit. It should not be ignored.

For the sizing lurkers, here's another data point:

My US brannock is 9 1/2 D/E.

I take 1/2 size down on 2020 last for a perfect fit with light to medium weight socks. It does not fit with thick socks.

For 2040 last, a 1/2 size down is perfect for me for medium weight socks only. Too much volume in the toebox with light socks. Heel and instep is too tight with thick socks.

For 2030, I take a 1/2 size down for a decent fit with medium to heavy weight socks. Not comfortable for long walks.

I have tried 1 size down from brannock on 2030, 2020 and 2040 and it's too small in every case.

For workboots, the 9EE is perfect. Their workboot last is so comfortable I wish we could get a SMU made on it. It feels like 2020 last to me but with slightly more room in the toe. Not as constricting as 2040 in the instep though. It looks great. Too bad viberg upped the workboot price $250 a couple of weeks ago...

WatchesCars

Reaction score
It may be anecdotal evidence, but there's tons of it on this forum and it's from people who are more cognizant of their footwear and how they like things to fit. It should not be ignored.

For the sizing lurkers, here's another data point:

My US brannock is 9 1/2 D/E.

I take 1/2 size down on 2020 last for a perfect fit with light to medium weight socks. It does not fit with thick socks.

For 2040 last, a 1/2 size down is perfect for me for medium weight socks only. Too much volume in the toebox with light socks. Heel and instep is too tight with thick socks.

For 2030, I take a 1/2 size down for a decent fit with medium to heavy weight socks. Not comfortable for long walks.

I have tried 1 size down from brannock on 2030, 2020 and 2040 and it's too small in every case.

For workboots, the 9EE is perfect. Their workboot last is so comfortable I wish we could get a SMU made on it. It feels like 2020 last to me but with slightly more room in the toe. Not as constricting as 2040 in the instep though. It looks great. Too bad viberg upped the workboot price $250 a couple of weeks ago...

Those are exactly the sizes viberg would recommend for you since you're feet are above D width average

WatchesCars

Reaction score
Youre missing the point entirely, but if youre also taking 2050 at 1 down there's no hope for you. Try to come to bootcamp next year, I may be running the sizing booth with another member and I'll get you properly sized.

both 2050 last chelsea 1 full size down, some of my best fitting boots. Again im a regular seller on ebay with a large following of people with my same brannock, have sold plenty of 2050 lasted boots to people with my same brannock. but again this is all anecdotal, as is your experience. next time I am at a sample sale, i will ask brett how his customers size based on his sales on the site. your word doesnt have much to go off of since you said viberg doesnt use uk sizing which is something brett has personally told me is the origin of his lasts, so I think ill take his word over yours

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member