• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a double cordovan hide from Tannery Row a couple months back. Price wise it should be between workshoe butt and shell pricing. Its about as expensive as a full workshoe butt, but its less sq. ft. of leather due to the strip being removed. Shell itself is still more costly. This should be 1200-1300 in price, the upcharge is high on here.

View attachment 1880323
Pic related
Let’s not split hairs - folks were implying it should be priced the same as horsebutt, which is nonsense.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let’s not split hairs - folks were implying it should be priced the same as horsebutt, which is nonsense.
oh, no that's too cheap. It should be between, sorta middle ground between shell and horsebutt - cuz that's what it is afterall

Edmund K

Reaction score
oh, no that's too cheap. It should be between, sorta middle ground between shell and horsebutt - cuz that's what it is afterall

This is what I read on the website, Horween "skipped" the labor-intensive process of polishing and give you a piece of untreated leather....... Don't understand why it is extremely limited and unique. I think Ashland leather has a good video about Cordovan finishing. Man it's labor-intensive..... Shouldn't the double cordovan be cheaper to produce from a manufacturing point of view, if the entire finishing process is skipped? Can someone explain?

However, you have to factor in the genius marketing jargon of Viberg. Worth some money......

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Capture01.JPG
    Capture01.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Capture02.JPG
    Capture02.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

lfzhao5

Reaction score
Just gimmicky, to create artificial hype for the true fans I guess. They are trying to cater to a 0.01 percent crowd. Pretty sure most people don't get fooled by this, unless ofc the rich folks who has way too much$ laying around

orionz06

Reaction score
I don’t really understand the pushback on price. Horsebutt only has a small fraction with the shell layer, while this is only the part with the shell layer. Surely that should justify a premium? Plus, it’s an ultra-specialty (low volume) product. Also (speculatively), these are unlined, so take more shell per pair.
I get that prices have shifted, but Viberg has gone insane. I've got three pairs (maybe four) of Viberg shell boots, three pairs of Alden shell boots with another on the way, and three pairs of C&J shell boots. All of them were at least $200 less, and the C&J's are by and far the best made AND the cheapest of the bunch. I'm not afraid to spend money on boots, I've got like 35 pair with a pair of Ravello Alden's on the way along with two C&J GMTO's I'm hoping go through.

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
I get that prices have shifted, but Viberg has gone insane. I've got three pairs (maybe four) of Viberg shell boots, three pairs of Alden shell boots with another on the way, and three pairs of C&J shell boots. All of them were at least $200 less, and the C&J's are by and far the best made AND the cheapest of the bunch. I'm not afraid to spend money on boots, I've got like 35 pair with a pair of Ravello Alden's on the way along with two C&J GMTO's I'm hoping go through.
What's the makeup of the ravellos?

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what I read on the website, Horween "skipped" the labor-intensive process of polishing and give you a piece of untreated leather....... Don't understand why it is extremely limited and unique. I think Ashland leather has a good video about Cordovan finishing. Man it's labor-intensive..... Shouldn't the double cordovan be cheaper to produce from a manufacturing point of view, if the entire finishing process is skipped? Can someone explain?

However, you have to factor in the genius marketing jargon of Viberg. Worth some money......

So unglazed/raw shell is the same cost as glazed shell (for first quality shell). Its always been horween's practice not to charge or reduce the price for the finishing steps. The cost doesn't go down because its crust, most of it comes from the tanning and raw material anyways. They do put a lot of work on finishing shell, I got to see it first hand at the tannery. Its also already included in the price as they just price things out equally.

I also think you misread because we're in agreement, it should be cheaper than shell, but more because of the difference in the cost per sq. foot, the finishing has nothing to do with it.

SonnyTheElder

Reaction score
I just acquired my first pair of Viberg boots second-hand and wanted to get some thoughts as to the details of the makeup, since they came with no box or other identifying information. From what I've gleaned in the posts in this thread and the tag on the inside, it appears to be on an older iteration of the 2030 last. Based on what I saw in pictures before buying, I thought these may have been a older Notre makeup but those appeared to be nubuck and having them now in hand, these appear to be a dark Natural CXL or something similar. Maybe an older Brooklyn Clothing or mainline makeup? Any other thoughts or info? Stoked on the boots regardless, I'm just curious about the details.

PXL_20230119_203145844.jpg

PXL_20230119_203154329.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads