• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jp2k1

Reaction score
You could be right. The thick soles and boot height might be a bit much with dressy pants. The other problem is functional: the suit pants are cut fairly slim and tapered (not skinny though) and they don't quite fall right on high boots. With that said, I'm contemplating ordering the olive calf just to test out the look and I'll keep what works better between that and the chukkas...
I suppose it depends on what occasion you wear it for, but I wear whatever I like whenever I like as long as I find a way to make it work.

This particular calf makes it easier to pair with dressier pants and the rounded last provides a nice balance/counterpoint to slim pants. I dont find "slim on slim (slim lasts)" very palatable, which is why I usually pair 2030s with slim straights rather than slim-tapered fits.

z8k1n

Reaction score
Been wearing the Brandys roughly every other day since I got them. They've been through maybe a half dozen applications of Venetian and get brushed before every wear, as well on some days I leave them out in the sun. Last night my gf remarked how they're starting to have some interesting color variations appear...

Superb

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been wearing the Brandys roughly every other day since I got them. They've been through maybe a half dozen applications of Venetian and get brushed before every wear, as well on some days I leave them out in the sun. Last night my gf remarked how they're starting to have some interesting color variations appear...

Wow. Those are extraordinary.

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. I do think that as noted above - it wouldn't work with a fine italian wool suit, for example. Would need to be tweed or something heavier. I have some summer weddings coming up and my go-to suit is a lightweight wool, pretty dressy looking. I hemmed and hawed about picking these up or maybe the horsehide re-stock, but in the end I nabbed a pair of the midnight chukkas on the 2030. I think they will look fly with a suit and I can still always dress them down with selvedge denim, etc. I hate buying something for just one function - it needs to have multiple applications in my wardrobe, especially footwear.
In this light, you wouldn't think that the horsehide is a bit more versatile due to the cap toe?
It's a pretty leather as well...

I like the darker color of the Country Derby but the PT seems to me a bit more of a casual look. But I've been wrong plenty before.

I have the Smoke Reverse Kudus which I'm wearing a lot, but casually. Would they look out of place with wool dress pants? Don't know, so that's why I was looking at the horsehides. They seem like they could cross the dress-casual borders more smoothly.

Aviv

Reaction score
In this light, you wouldn't think that the horsehide is a bit more versatile due to the cap toe?
It's a pretty leather as well...

I like the darker color of the Country Derby but the PT seems to me a bit more of a casual look. But I've been wrong plenty before.

I have the Smoke Reverse Kudus which I'm wearing a lot, but casually. Would they look out of place with wool dress pants? Don't know, so that's why I was looking at the horsehides. They seem like they could cross the dress-casual borders more smoothly.

I agree about the horsehides. To keep them suitable for dressed-up occasions I think you would really need to maintain them, and this would seem to go against the "point" of them. What I mean by that is that this leather clearly patinas nicely and will probably change rapidly with wear. My personal opinion is that this is what Viberg goes for with its leather choices and make-ups: boots that will age well. The kudu leather is, IMO, the dressiest they offer because it doesn't have a ton of patina potential and is very supple.

The horsehides look fancy as **** brand new and shiny. I would want to see them beat up if I owned them and would thus defeat my original purpose of trying to find a dressier boot. Now, clearly the olive calf will age as well, but given that it is a dark leather I think one could more easily and with less effort keep it looking wedding-ready.

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree about the horsehides. To keep them suitable for dressed-up occasions I think you would really need to maintain them, and this would seem to go against the "point" of them. What I mean by that is that this leather clearly patinas nicely and will probably change rapidly with wear. My personal opinion is that this is what Viberg goes for with its leather choices and make-ups: boots that will age well. The kudu leather is, IMO, the dressiest they offer because it doesn't have a ton of patina potential and is very supple.

The horsehides look fancy as **** brand new and shiny. I would want to see them beat up if I owned them and would thus defeat my original purpose of trying to find a dressier boot. Now, clearly the olive calf will age as well, but given that it is a dark leather I think one could more easily and with less effort keep it looking wedding-ready.

Ah, I see your point.

I bought the Kudus for a couple of reasons but one was maintenance. I am a lazy dude. So you believe the Smoke Reverse Kudus could be worn in a dressy situation? Shoot, down here, I probably could do anything and there be no critical judgements...And they ARE mega supple.

I'm waiting for the next batch of GMTO Vibergs to be announced before I buy another pair of Vibergs. I like the horsehides and the olive derbys but am hoping for a dark coffee chromepak, as I'm in on the chromepak vote. Decisions, decisions...

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

looking great ! keep it up!

billymax

Reaction score
How does the profile height of the 110 compare to the 2045 on the boondockers? The 1035 looks about as flat/slim as my 2030.

Also, I'm curious how that partially structured toebox on the 110's looks now Raneleigh?

Thanks
Where did you get those 110s with structured toe? I've been waiting around for a pair of those for a while. I've only seen the 2045, 1035 and 2030's with unstructured toes. I would love to get a pair of 110s. They look fantastic.

Skell6009

Reaction score

Where did you get those 110s with structured toe?   I've been waiting around for a pair of those for a while.   I've only seen the 2045, 1035 and 2030's with unstructured toes.    I would love to get a pair of 110s.  They look fantastic.

That was the original configuration of the boondocker before Viberg re-released it on the 2045.

awoodby

Reaction score

Just came today and they're killer. I don't wanna wax them though - will normal rough out CXL be water resistant enough?

Spray them with a waterproofing spray, may say "suede waterproofing". Let it dry, do 3 coats, and just brush dirt off/respray occasionally.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
basiliomottla