• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cole87

Reaction score
Smoke Reverse Kudu chelsea would be amazing. Next round of GMTO perhaps Fok? @LA Guy
Haha. I am pretty sure I mentioned how awesome a smoked reverse kudu would be this time around, but no one else seemed to go for it at the time, and I don't know if it was even available.

youtubs

Reaction score
Ugh, Navy Shell release this Friday, right after I finally get a pair of Navy Shell boots somewhere else.

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha. I am pretty sure I mentioned how awesome a smoked reverse kudu would be this time around, but no one else seemed to go for it at the time, and I don't know if it was even available.

I've got a pair of the Smoke Reverse Kudu Service Boots and I could have sworn I read on a previous past post here that the leather wasn't available any longer.

I am not a Chelsea guy whatsoever but that one I'd have to think about.

It is a very refined looking leather for certain.

Aviv

Reaction score
Oh God I want the unglazed navy shell so badly it hurts. I might finally crack this time if my trigger finger is quick enough.

No on to the difficult question: sizing. I have had bad experience with the GYW. I am one of those for whom if I get my usual Viberg size (10.5) on the 2030 GYW, my toes feel crushed. The only two pairs I've tried were the guidi horse service boot and the guidi calf derby. The derby felt better because it was unstructured but man those horsehides felt a whole half size too small! And this was my usual size which works perfectly on all stitch down makeups, structured or not.

Do I really need to size up a half size from SD to GYW? Shell tends to be stiffer, no? I would hate to order a pair, wait, and then get something that fit wrong.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh God I want the unglazed navy shell so badly it hurts. I might finally crack this time if my trigger finger is quick enough.

No on to the difficult question: sizing. I have had bad experience with the GYW. I am one of those for whom if I get my usual Viberg size (10.5) on the 2030 GYW, my toes feel crushed. The only two pairs I've tried were the guidi horse service boot and the guidi calf derby. The derby felt better because it was unstructured but man those horsehides felt a whole half size too small! And this was my usual size which works perfectly on all stitch down makeups, structured or not.

Do I really need to size up a half size from SD to GYW? Shell tends to be stiffer, no? I would hate to order a pair, wait, and then get something that fit wrong.

I only have the Mohagony GYW shell boots...they actually fit a bit looser and have more room in the toe area or so it seems...perhaps it is the unstructured toe? Anyway mine fit fine but those were I believe the first GYW ones they did. Some newer ones I have seen in pictures look like they refined the lasting a bit and the toe has a nicer shape. Hopefully some natty shell folks could jump in but for me the GYW shell fit similar to stitchdown non shell in same size in fact the shell has a touch more volume.

Last edited:

Aviv

Reaction score

I only have the Mohagony GYW shell boots...they actually fit a bit looser and have more room in the toe area or so it seems...perhaps it is the unstructured toe? Anyway mine fit fine but those were I believe the first GYW ones they did. Some newer ones I have seen in pictures look like they refined the lasting a bit and the toe has a nicer shape. Hopefully some natty shell folks could jump in but for me the GYW shell fit similar to stitchdown non shell in same size in fact the shell has a touch more volume.

I appreciate the input. Viberg told me same size across SD or GYW. My foot is narrow but wierdly wide at the toes. This could be an anatomy problem.

Cole87

Reaction score

Sounds to me like you already know 10.5 GYW doesn't fit you, so it should be an easy call. Going up half a size is usually pretty safe anyway. Worst case scenario is you wear slightly thicker socks or an insert.

Aviv

Reaction score

Sounds to me like you already know 10.5 GYW doesn't fit you, so it should be an easy call. Going up half a size is usually pretty safe anyway. Worst case scenario is you wear slightly thicker socks or an insert.

Well that's just it. A half size up on SD is too big for me. I have a narrow heel and the wider E width of Viberg is already a bit big. I am able to make it work by lacing up accordingly on my size. Going up means I'm swimming in them, even with thick socks.

I'm trying to figure out if it was just the one pair I had and maybe the tightness of the guidi leather. I'm waiting for a follow up from Drew about this. I know some guys can go between half sizes with different lasts or whatever, but in my experience I am not comfortable unless I'm in my proper size.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the look of the unglazed navy shell. it's a bit plain for $1100 though. a toecap or some nickel eyelets would be a nice touch. as for sizing, I feel the GYW is tighter in the same size as SD, but the same length. It's enough for me to size up a .5.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 105 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads