• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whirling

Reaction score
I ordered some Boondockers from Mr. P during the sale, but they sent me John Lobb Italian sneakers by mistake. Then they were sold out of my size. Finally, I received them today. They really are amazing...even compared to other Vibergs. The double-leather soles are incredibly thick--like on their famous logging boots, but without the caulks. The rough-out CXL is also very thick. The boots weigh in at 1.0 kilograms each. Other stitch-down 2030 Vibergs I own weigh 0.83 kg each.

gte872h

Reaction score

I ordered some Boondockers from Mr. P during the sale, but they sent me John Lobb Italian sneakers by mistake. Then they were sold out of my size. Finally, I received them today. They really are amazing...even compared to other Vibergs. The double-leather soles are incredibly thick--like on their famous logging boots, but without the caulks. The rough-out CXL is also very thick. The boots weigh in at 1.0 kilograms each. Other stitch-down 2030 Vibergs I own weigh 0.83 kg each.

I love Viberg's leather soles. Have those same boondockers but from Rivet and Hide and a pair of stitchdown matte black calf derbies from 14oz. The double leather sole are tough and substantial and are easily my most comfortable pairs compared to any other sole. I just wish people weren't so scared of leather soles.

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are great. Full size only killed it for me. Had the 10 in my cart, but 2030 really is perfect at 9.5, so decided to pass.

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't the only weather worry with double leather soles, or even single leather soles, snow and salt?

I'm in Florida so I have no worries with leather. My black HH derbies have double leather black soles but I must have knocked into something as on one toe area the leather has peeled/lipped a little.

Last edited:

Whirling

Reaction score
I have always been a bit paranoid about leather soles, but I have heard enough from people to hear that, if of good quality, they can hold up well. Now, traction is still not going to be ideal if there is any ice or snow...I imagine salt would damage them too, but I am not sure exactly how fast. Of course, one can always get them replaced.

I really have to imagine these should be fairly durable. As I mentioned above, Viberg's logging boots have leather soles, as the base for the insertion of the caulks, so they can't be too fragile, or they would never stand up to the working in the forests of Canada.

There was just something about the appearance of the boots on the website that appealed to me.

Also, from looking at the inside of the boots, it doesn't appear to be Natural CXL. It appears to be a medium brown...icy mocha? The tongue is the same color as the inside of the boots, if you look at the photos on Mr. Porter.

Nakedsnake

Reaction score

I have a pair of the boondockers on the 2045 on a raw cord sole, and yes, they are tanks. I totally agree with you. I've worn them 15-20 times now, and they don't even have creases yet, since the CXL is so thick, its amazing. Heaviest, thickest boots I own. I actually just bought some snuff boots from @fitchottie on the 2030, my 2nd pair of Vibergs. I'll do some comparison shots when they show up some time next week.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone is planning to unload a 2030 Service Boot in 8.5 please let me know. Stitch down only, the newer the better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads