• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Broark

Reaction score
1) The Milwright
1940s Service Boot, 310 last
Crust CXL
Cap toe (brogue)
5 eyelets, antique brass
Cat's Paw heel, Vibram half sole
Stitched down/Nailed down
Natural midsole
Additioj: Heel lowered 1/8" (pending Viberg approval - no guarantees - voter agrees to purchase regardless of whether or not this is possoble).
I think I've about talked myself into these boots.
Do you have an idea of price yet? Also, will you allow a 50/50 deposit like the Hoppers? Would make my decision easier...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have an idea of price yet? Also, will you allow a 50/50 deposit like the Hoppers? Would make my decision easier...
Hi,

We don't know the price yet, but I suspect, given the price of similar boots on Viberg.com, that the boot will come out to about $745., shipped (unlike other retailers, we just add the average price of shipping to everything, so that the price is the price, period).

We won't be doing a 50/50 deposit unlike last time. Unfortunately, the logistics for even a small order were difficult enough, because the system we use does not do partial payments very well, and we ended up with an adhoc, non-integrated system, and sent a couple of pairs to wrong addresses before correcting that, etc.. . Because of the time lag between order and delivery, having an integrated order and fulfillment system is pretty important. I am sure that more things would definitely go wrong with a bigger order. The 100% down has always worked best for us before, so we'll be going back to that.

Cheers,

Fok.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I realize different people have different views on such things, but I feel it is okay to ask politely for things, even when one doesn't feel entitled to them, as long as one politely accepts "no" as an answer. I also firmly believe in forming relationships with the firms with which I do business. I act decently and honestly with them, and expect them to treat me similarly. I own a number of pairs of Vibergs and haven't ever returned one. I didn't even return the ones that were shown and described as stitch-down on Brooklyn Clothing's website, but arrived as GYW, but I did ask for and received a refund of the shipping charges that they would have had to pay had I returned them for a full refund (which they offered readily).

Not to be judgmental, but I am aware that there are some people who demand far too much from makers and retailers, and then get irate when they don't get it. I am no fan of that, I assure all of you. I am also incredibly negative about people who "showroom" with either brick and mortar shops or web retailers with easy free returns.
I feel that it's fine to be a bit judgmental. There are more ethical and civil ways to do things, and less, and only community and societal pressire will discourage unethical and uncivil practices. In the past decade or so, I've certainly seen an increasing sense of entitlement from consumers, that is perhaps, in part, the fault of retailers, particularly online tech startups, many of which do not have to make a profit from day 1, and so can unreasonably condition the consumer.

I also think that it's okay to ask for things, but that also in picking your moments. As someone who is both a consumer and deals with clients all the time, there are certainly people who are easier and more pleasant to work with, and those who are unpleasant, or simply suck up too many resources. Remember, time is money (i.e. opportunity costs), and so a consumer or client who asks 100 questions for a small order, is essentially decreasing the net profit to be made on that customer. Just as an example. Imagine that a customer asks a specific question via email, and it takes the customer service representative an average of 15 minutes to answer that question. Assuming that the customer service rep costs the company $30/h (not an unreasonable estimate), then each question costs $7.50 to answer. And if that customer than ends up NOT buying a product, that is a cost that must be absorbed by the company. Just some food for thought.

That's why a lot of firms no longer do MTO, or charge a hefty fee for MTO, since the end consumer typically has less knowledge than commercial customers (i.e stockists) and are highly personally invested in the product. It takes a dedicated customer service and production line to profitably do MTO.

Broark

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply Fok, I understand the streamlined method of 100% payment.
Might make my decision a bit easier though, I'm sure the boots will come out looking good. Just not in the cards for me right now I don't think.
Luckily I have a pair of Hoppers to keep my feet happy for quite awhile!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won't do 100% payment until I get 100% specs on the build. Common sense.
No one is asking you to do that, and in return, we (and all other retailers) ask that preorder customers understand the small changes that must be made during the production process. The vast majority of these changes are invisible to the end customer, and as I said, if it is something major, we always communicate with the GMTO participants. If this is not something that you can feel comfortable with, perhaps GMTOs are not for you.

If you are talking specifically about the Millwright, we are proceeding with the assumption that the 1/8" heel reduction is NOT possible, but that the adjustment WILL be made IF it is possible.

Styleforum has handled over 350 pairs of Viberg GMTO boots in the past few years, and we have always done right by every single customer on every single order, sometimes at our loss. I stand firmly behind our process. It's worked very well in the past, and the fact that Viberg is willing to continue to work with us in a way that works for many people speaks to my abilities to broker good solutions.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply Fok, I understand the streamlined method of 100% payment.
Might make my decision a bit easier though, I'm sure the boots will come out looking good. Just not in the cards for me right now I don't think.
Luckily I have a pair of Hoppers to keep my feet happy for quite awhile!
Love my Hoppers. Yeah, that was for a small order, and mistakes were still made. I don't even want to imagine the mess of dealing with a large order done that way.

Cheers,

Fok.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should have added that, given the pace at which this is going, the pre-orders will probably close towards Thanksgiving. Not sure if that would make a difference for you, but it's just something to keep in mind during the voting process.

Cheers,

Fok.

Broark

Reaction score
I should have added that, given the pace at which this is going, the pre-orders will probably close towards Thanksgiving. Not sure if that would make a difference for you, but it's just something to keep in mind during the voting process.

Cheers,

Fok.

Oh, well given that news maybe I will be able to get a pair! I thought we were looking at full payment with voting in the next week or so.
Given that time frame I think it's doable for me.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really like the Millwright build. However, I am up to my eyeballs in natural CXL boots and think the Crust CXL will be too similar. So I have to move to the "maybe" camp (not a "no" at this point, but less likely than when the leather was still open to debate).

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, well given that news maybe I will be able to get a pair! I thought we were looking at full payment with voting in the next week or so.
Given that time frame I think it's doable for me.
I should have been more explicit. We will first have a voting round, about 10 days, with the $20 considered a non-refundable deposit. if the boot of your choice is made. That is to be fair to those genuinely interested in purchasing. After that, there is usually a 2 week period for preorders, though I am thinking of streamlining that to 10 days, since all of the action takes place at the beginning and at the end, with about 5 days of wasted time in the middle. Hope that clarifies things somewhat.

Incidentally, we should probably have the question about the heel height before the voting period ends, but I make it a policy to never make a promise that I cannot be sure that I can keep.

Cheers,

Fok.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the Millwright build. However, I am up to my eyeballs in natural CXL boots and think the Crust CXL will be too similar. So I have to move to the "maybe" camp (not a "no" at this point, but less likely than when the leather was still open to debate).
While the color will probably be similar, or rather, in a similar family, I suspect that the leather will look quite different when worn in. My natural CXL derbies have stayed a similar shade after over a year of casual wear (no treatments). I think that the crust will darken considerably. This is, of course, assuming that you are into that "wearing in" process.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads