• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slightly iffy on the upturned toe but the broguing would make that boot.

I understand your, and others', hesitation about the 310. It is definitely a distinctive look. But I will say two things about that. One is that it doesn't look as severe in real life, in my experience, as it does in pics. You rarely see a boot straight on from the side, as the pics usually are, and the sprung toe is not as prominent from other angles. Secondly, I have never received as many positive comments out of the blue for any pair of boots (or any other clothing) as I did for my old 310s. People do notice them, and tend to like them.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll have to bow out if the milwright goes with crust CXL. Already have natural CXL boots that get only a moderate amount of wear.

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IndigoCrush : 6" Scout PT/SD in CrustCXL :: Vat dyed in natural indigo

Street Version:
• 1035 last
• partially structured toe
• black contrast stitching all around, including sole
• stacked leather midsole X black mini ripples .... [or black Gloxicut]

Work Version:
• structured toe
• black contrast stitching all around, including outsole
• Commando or double leather w/ composite topy
• Vibram 700 or Quabaug heel w/a "Viberg taper" ... like that on the Hopper

Last edited:

vettemike

Reaction score

I am afraid I can't do black for the Millwright Boot, but am definitely on board for the Crust CXL.  Still need to find out if Viberg will do the lowered heel for this build.  But if so, then the Millwright stands as follows:

1940s Service Boot, 310 last
Crust CXL
Cap toe (non-brogue)
5 eyelets, antique brass
Cat's Paw heel, Vibram half sole
Stitched down/Nailed down
Heel lowered 1/8" (pending Viberg approval)
Natural midsole

I am also open to a brogue captoe, if others prefer that. Normally I don't like brogeuing, but think it looks good on this, and is often on the old boots.  But either is fine with me.

@NYDRH
@Bobbo316
@meso
@Steel28
@bry2000
@vettemike
@b-ewing
@ShootThePier
@BHK666
@justinkapur

@LA Guy

I'm in

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll have to bow out if the milwright goes with crust CXL. Already have natural CXL boots that get only a moderate amount of wear.

2639.png

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I read about crust CXL on the Viberg website, but I am confused how it differs from natural CXL. Viberg describes crust as leather that has not yet been dyed or finished. I thought natural CXL was the same. How are the two leathers different? Can anyone with both put up a comparison?

@LA Guy, can you please provide some insight into the differences between crust CXL and natural CXL or please ask Viberg to do so? Thanks!

I am a little disappointed that there are no other "tough" brown leathers available for workboots. Was hoping for a waxed flesh or waxed suede or a horsehide as the one used in that Context 2045 boot.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@LA Guy , can you please provide some insight into the differences between crust CXL and natural CXL or please ask Viberg to do so? Thanks!

I am a little disappointed that there are no other "tough" brown leathers available for workboots. Was hoping for a waxed flesh or waxed suede or a horsehide as the one used in that Context 2045 boot.
There was a lot of call for black, and crust, so that's what we have decided on for now. We are doing some pre-vetting of leathers in order to control the mayhem that happens when it's a freeforall. I could perhaps, if there is a huge surge for it, inquire about the availability of natural and brown waxed flesh, but that is it. Please let's keep the leather choice discussions to what Drew and I have chosen, based on discussion so far.

I'll ask about the differences next week.

Note to "streetboot" people - have a look at both sets of leathers as well. I talked about the bullhide when I was thinking about the all black book on a gloxi-sole that we discussed earlier here. I think that with a black midsole, that could look pretty cool.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rally your troops, man. Remember, 6 solid yeses for a 310 last to make it to voting, because of the evidently limited demand for it that we've seen from previous rounds. (aka "Feel My Pain")

Last edited:

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rally your troops, man.  Remember, 6 solid yeses for a 310 last to make it to voting, because of the evidently limited demand for it that we've seen from previous rounds.  (aka "Feel My Pain")

Okay. Lowered heel..?
Thanks.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay. Lowered heel..?
Thanks.
I will ask, but will not fight for it.

Also, guys, and @linafelt , this is NOT directed at you, but just comes in passing - do not call Viberg asking about Styleforum makeups. Everything has to go through me - they consider us as a stockist, and do not appreciate being asked questions directly about our GMTOs. And... the question is kicked back to me anyway, so it's just needless friction in the process.

Last edited:

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not in either. I think I posted several pages back my concerns with the 310, but I see I'm on the list, and I don't want any confusion. Sorry.

I would be down for a crust CXL on another last.

Cheers.

Understood.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rally your troops, man. Remember, 6 solid yeses for a 310 last to make it to voting, because of the evidently limited demand for it that we've seen from previous rounds. (aka "Feel My Pain")

Okay, as of now it sounds like we've got four: @linafelt @vettemike @Bobbo316 @NYDRH .

Waiting to hear back from others, including perhaps: @Steel28 @ShootThePier @justinkapur @bry2000

Others? Now's your chance to help get an iconic Viberg boot made. @BootSpell ? @orionz06 ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads