• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Broark

Reaction score
Just received my beige calf 1035 derbies from Notre Shop, went with a 12 which is essentially true to brannock size for me. They feel a bit long but the width is spot on. After wearing them out running some errands I think they'll break in nicely, might put an insole of some sort in them. Not my typical style of shoe, but I think once they're beat up a bit they'll be perfect.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Diabolical

Reaction score
If they would realign with the SD construction that so many people seem to be asking about, these would be 10x more desirable.
Part of the reason why they're doing GYW is so they can work with these exotic leathers.

Here is quote from Brett from back in 2013: "I have like kangaroo leathers and really expensive stuff, but it just gets shredded to ****. The leather is great but it will get torn apart and is worthless. The people that make it, their hands aren't used to that texture and they overpower it."

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If they would realign with the SD construction that so many people seem to be asking about, these would be 10x more desirable.

I agree with you on that, but I feel it's pointless now to bring it up.

Part of the reason why they're doing GYW is so they can work with these exotic leathers.

Here is quote from Brett from back in 2013: "I have like kangaroo leathers and really expensive stuff, but it just gets shredded to ****.  The leather is great but it will get torn apart and is worthless.  The people that make it, their hands aren't used to that texture and they overpower it."

I am a bit confused when reading this statement. From my comprehensive google search of kangaroo, it's supposed to be the toughest and most durable leather in it's weight class. More so than calf. But if they can do SD with the black ***** calf, then why is it so difficult with kangaroo?

I wouldn't mind them bringing back the cork moose boots from a couple years back either.

Last edited:

ShootThePier

Reaction score

True to that. If so I would have purchased four pairs that I have passed on, Reverse shell, Natural Shell, White Kangaroo, and Reindeer.
I'm just not thrilled with the new look of the GYW versions of the above.
Oh well. To me, it is liking the shape of a car's nose or tail, it can completely change the aesthetic.

totalair1

Reaction score
I agree with you on that, but I feel it's pointless now to bring it up.
I am a bit confused when reading this statement. From my comprehensive google search of kangaroo, it's supposed to be the toughest and most durable leather in it's weight class. More so than calf. But if they can do SD with the black ***** calf, then why is it so difficult with kangaroo?

I wouldn't mind them bringing back the cork moose boots from a couple years back either.

True to that. If so I would have purchased four pairs that I have passed on, Reverse shell, Natural Shell, White Kangaroo, and Reindeer.
I'm just not thrilled with the new look of the GYW versions of the above.
Oh well. To me, it is liking the shape of a car's nose or tail, it can completely change the aesthetic.

My 2 cents is that none of the make ups we've seen recently would have been made in those leathers if it were SD construction. It's possible for many leathers to be very tough but not easy to bend or stitch. I think its way too far down the road to say if it were SD I'd buy it. Brett has made it clear why he won't go there anymore and no amount of complaining is going to change it IMHO.
Just because its been done in SD in the past does not mean its going to happen again. I like SD better but it does not stop me for buying it in GYW if I like the make up. I've never had a GYW boot fail me due to extreme use. I've found the leather itself typically fails before anything happens in the SD or GYW areas of my shoes and boots. I understand many like the look of SD better. It's not like Viberg does not make SD anymore
To be honest kangaroo, reindeer and shell are not the hides as my 1st choice I would pick to go do extreme outdoor events. Thats not saying you can't.

In summary: I don't see the point in continuing to look up a dead horses butt when it's not going to ride again!

Steve

Last edited:

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If ever there's another SF GMTO in the future__ I'd like a pair of Camel hides__ Non-black, preferably Natty ... In Chelsea or Derby ... 'Got enuff SDs, so don't care if if it'll be on flat GYW.

I mentioned [that] to Guy F when we had a short chat @VibergSampleSale. He said they're finishing up the remaining lot of the black camel, then they "might" try testing other colors.

I asked him why only black__ he' wasn't sure why ... might be cuz of the nature of the leather itself or w/e, but he said they'll try ...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads