• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Versatile dress watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHV

Reaction score
(norcaltransplant @ May 15 2005,22:38) I'm guessing at least 40-50k...I haven't the slightest idea other than its way more than I'm willing to pay.
You're way off base; it's more like $110K (probably even more than that). Jon. (its out of my budget too I'm afraid...)
The Tonneau shape is my favourite. I don't like round watches so much. The Tortue is in my opinion the best take on that design. Many other Tonneau style watches are too thin, I love Cartier's take on it. The Ulysse Nardin is gorgeous as well.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Big Date Michelangelo books for $4800 on a strap, and you can probably get a 25% off discount from an authorized dealer. The UTC starts at $5,500--I really like having the dual time. It's my favorite complication aside from the power reserve. BTW, the Cartier and UN are both too large for a strict dress watch. I recommend visiting a UN dealer in person...the dials look quite different in person.

newyorker

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how much does a basic stainless steel Cartier Tank with black leather strap costs? I'm considering purchasing one. I want a watch I won't get bored looking at again and again.

PHV

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how much does a basic stainless steel Cartier Tank with black leather strap costs? I'm considering purchasing one. I want a watch I won't get bored looking at again and again.
Depends which tank. A tank Solo: http://www.pacifictime.com/cartier-t...lo-watches.htm is 1,500. A Tank Francais with a black strap I am not sure, because I don't think they have SS with a black alligator strap. But a normal SS Tank Franc is about $3300.

newyorker

Reaction score
I was looking for a watch and got distracted. If I had the money, this would be the watch I would buy. Hard to think how a watch could be more beautiful:
101.035.jpg
But back to reality.... Cartier Tank Solo:
w1018355.jpg
Cartier Tank Francaise
w5001156.jpg
Given that they look so similar, is it worth the price differential (Tank Solo $1500, Tank Francise $7000)? As far as I know the differences are in the movement (quartz vs automatic) and material (steel vs 18k white gold).

ord

Reaction score
The Tank Francaise on the bottom also has a date, which the Solo lacks. Â I'm pretty sure that the Francaise is also made in stainless steel, for about $4K or thereabouts. The Cartier that I would really like to own is the Crash. Supposedly it was made in tribute to an employee who died in a fiery car crash which burned so hot, it deformed his watch.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for a dress watch, around $3500. JL's offerings are too much for what I like. I prefer roman numerals anyways. Are there other nice tanks to consider? I will also look at Tonneau style watches. I like my Oris but I wouldn't wear it in certain environments.

I don't necessarily have to spend the above amount, but right now the Cartier is still my favourite (the hand wound), what alternatives are there?
You could check the B&M Hampton on bracelet but numerals are arabic.

Buy your favorite otherwise you may regret your purchase and have to sell it to buy the Tank.

I own the Tank and it is a nice watch. But it second hand.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(PHV @ May 15 2005,21:02) Looking for a dress watch, around $3500. JL's offerings are too much for what I like. I prefer roman numerals anyways. Are there other nice tanks to consider? I will also look at Tonneau style watches. I like my Oris but I wouldn't wear it in certain environments. I don't necessarily have to spend the above amount, but right now the Cartier is still my favourite (the hand wound), what alternatives are there?
You could check the B&M Hampton on bracelet but numerals are arabic. Buy your favorite otherwise you may regret your purchase and have to sell it to buy the Tank. I own the Tank and it is a nice watch. But it second hand.
The B&M is not a very "˜manly' watch IMHO. The Cartier Tank is a nice choice, but don't buy a $1000+ watch with a $5 quartz movement (unless it is a Breitling Emergency, then I understand) thus, purchase a Tank with a mechanical movement. Jon. BTW: I found Atlantis: http://www.atlantis.com/ it was in the Atlantic ocean all along.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The B&M is not a very "˜manly' watch IMHO. The Cartier Tank is a nice choice, but don't buy a $1000+ watch with a $5 quartz movement (unless it is a Breitling Emergency, then I understand) thus, purchase a Tank with a mechanical movement. Â Jon. BTW: I found Atlantis: http://www.atlantis.com/ it was in the Atlantic ocean all along.
Are you sure to know the Hampton collection? Obviously he had to buy a mechanical watch. Anyway the Tank Francaise steel/steel is available in quartz only for women. I don't wanna disapoint you but the automatic movement of the Tank doesn't worth more than 50 euros, may be 100 euros so it doesn't justify more the price of the watch than a quartz movement. But mechanical is better because at least you have a true watch with mecanical organs.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(imageWIS @ May 16 2005,15:14) The B&M is not a very "˜manly' watch IMHO. The Cartier Tank is a nice choice, but don't buy a $1000+ watch with a $5 quartz movement (unless it is a Breitling Emergency, then I understand) thus, purchase a Tank with a mechanical movement. Jon. BTW: I found Atlantis: http://www.atlantis.com/ it was in the Atlantic ocean all along.
Are you sure to know the Hampton collection? Obviously he had to buy a mechanical watch. Anyway the Tank Francaise steel/steel is available in quartz only for women. I don't wanna disapoint you but the automatic movement of the Tank doesn't worth more than 50 euros, may be 100 euros so it doesn't justify more the price of the watch than a quartz movement. But mechanical is better because at least you have a true watch with mecanical organs.
Ernest, there is nothing regarding horology that you can disappoint me with. Of course ETA's do not cost a lot, I was merely using the $5 argument as a reinforcement regarding my point. The B&M is not a very manly watch, it was designed for women originally and they decided to add a men's version; as well I thought it was pretty obvious that this was my opinion... Also, I was not specific in mentioning which Tank, now was I? Since the Tank Solo (with quartz movement) was mentioned, I used "˜Tank' as a blanket line to compare one watch movement's worthiness to another's. Jon.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ernest, there is nothing regarding horology that you can disappoint me with. Of course ETA's do not cost a lot, I was merely using the $5 argument as a reinforcement regarding my point.

But your point could as weel as apply to the mecanical version as the movement doesn't cost musch more than a good quartz.

The B&M is not a very manly watch, it was designed for women originally and they decided to add a men's version; as well I thought it was pretty obvious that this was my opinion...

I don't think it has been designed for women originally.

Anywany even if it had been, it wouldn't be an enough relevant argument to say it was not manely.

Otherwise, in the same logic, many brands are not manely = Cartier, Dior, Vuitton, Hermes...as their first clients are women and sneakers are very manly as the first models were for men.

I have both watch and I can tell you the Hampton is more manely than Tank. They are much thicker, larger on wrist have no "jewel touch" on the crown (blue stone), the bracelet is more chuncky...

If you wanna talk about manely watches, Cartier is not the best exemple...

Also, I was not specific in mentioning which Tank, now was I? Since the Tank Solo (with quartz movement) was mentioned, I used "˜Tank' as a blanket line to compare one watch movement's worthiness to another's.

No you were not. But the guy asking advices was = He wants a Tank with BRACELET.

The only Tank in his range of price = the French Tank on steel and doesn't exist in quartz for the men size (there is a mid-size but is too small for men nowadays)

An automatic basic E.T.A. doesn't worth much more than a quartz one. A Patek Quartz may even worth more. A Kinetic may worth more too.

So quartz or not quartz is not a problem of price in this type of watches. It is rather a problem of feeling.

Even an automatic is too expensive if you consider the price of the movement.

So if you just look at the price of the movement to make up you mind, you can buy a quartz as the watch is cheaper.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for a dress watch, around $3500. JL's offerings are too much for what I like. I prefer roman numerals anyways. Are there other nice tanks to consider? I will also look at Tonneau style watches. I like my Oris but I wouldn't wear it in certain environments.

I don't necessarily have to spend the above amount, but right now the Cartier is still my favourite (the hand wound), what alternatives are there?

Just a comment = a dress watch is on leather strap.

As soon as you have a heavy bracelet = not dress

Dress = the master ultra thin for exemple or the reverso (notice they don't exist on bracelet)

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ernest, there is nothing regarding horology that you can disappoint me with. Of course ETA's do not cost a lot, I was merely using the $5 argument as a reinforcement regarding my point.
But your point could as weel as apply to the mecanical version as the movement doesn't cost musch more than a good quartz.
The B&M is not a very manly watch, it was designed for women originally and they decided to add a men's version; as well I thought it was pretty obvious that this was my opinion...
I don't think it has been designed for women originally. Anywany even if it had been, it wouldn't be an enough relevant argument to say it was not manely. Otherwise, in the same logic, many brands are not manely = Cartier, Dior, Vuitton, Hermes...as their first clients are women and sneakers are very manly as the first models were for men. I have both watch and I can tell you the Hampton is more manely than Tank. They are much thicker, larger on wrist have no "jewel touch" on the crown (blue stone), the bracelet is more chuncky... If you wanna talk about manely watches, Cartier is not the best exemple...
Also, I was not specific in mentioning which Tank, now was I? Since the Tank Solo (with quartz movement) was mentioned, I used "˜Tank' as a blanket line to compare one watch movement's worthiness to another's.
No you were not. But the guy asking advices was = He wants a Tank with BRACELET. The only Tank in his range of price = the French Tank on steel and doesn't exist in quartz for the men size (there is a mid-size but is too small for men nowadays) An automatic basic E.T.A. doesn't worth much more than a quartz one. A Patek Quartz may even worth more. A Kinetic may worth more too. So quartz or not quartz is not a problem of price in this type of watches. It is rather a problem of feeling. Even an automatic is too expensive if you consider the price of the movement. So if you just look at the price of the movement to make up you mind, you can buy a quartz as the watch is cheaper.
Ernest, the first Cartier watches that had any relevance for the company were the ones made for men after Rudolph Valentino popularized them. Comparing Dior, Vuitton, and Hermes watches to Cartier borders on sacrilege. Please make valid factual comparisons or none at all (except if you specifically mention that they are of your opinion only). We will agree to disagree regarding the B&M, suffice to say I don't think the Cariter is less manly because of the cabochon topped crown. To me thicker does not equal "˜manly', after all the manly item would be the one that is stronger and made with more resistant materials, and Cariter uses better grade steel than B&M. I understand that he wanted one with a metal bracelet, but once the Solo was mentioned, quartz was thrown into the race. Thus, as I aforementioned, I was merely comparing all the Tank models. I am curious as to where you are getting your wholesale prices from that you keep on making farcical arguments regarding them. An ETA quartz is worth much less than say a cal. 2892 automatic movement, especially when refinished and polished by Cariter, something which very few companies do to quartz movements. Since I worked (oh, boy how do I explain this concept?) for several years in the watch industry (retail / repair segments) I have a good idea of which I speak (not to mention my countless hours posting and discussing on several horological sites, where is William Massena to back me up when I need him?
wink.gif
). You seemed to have completely misunderstood the reason for my mentioning the quartz movement, and thus far my explanations still appear to hit their target of your understanding, perhaps it truly is a language barrier. Jon.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ernest, the first Cartier watches that had any relevance for the company were the ones made for men after Rudolph Valentino popularized them. Comparing Dior, Vuitton, and Hermes watches to Cartier borders on sacrilege. Please make valid factual comparisons or none at all (except if you specifically mention that they are of your opinion only). We will agree to disagree regarding the B&M, suffice to say I don't think the Cariter is less manly because of the cabochon topped crown. To me thicker does not equal "˜manly', after all the manly item would be the one that is stronger and made with more resistant materials, and Cariter uses better grade steel than B&M. I understand that he wanted one with a metal bracelet, but once the Solo was mentioned, quartz was thrown into the race. Thus, as I aforementioned, I was merely comparing all the Tank models. I am curious as to where you are getting your wholesale prices from that you keep on making farcical arguments regarding them. An ETA quartz is worth much less than say a cal. 2892 automatic movement, especially when refinished and polished by Cariter, something which very few companies do to quartz movements. Since I worked (oh, boy how do I explain this concept?) for several years in the watch industry (retail / repair segments) I have a good idea of which I speak (not to mention my countless hours posting and discussing on several horological sites, where is William Massena to back me up when I need him?
wink.gif
). You seemed to have completely misunderstood the reason for my mentioning the quartz movement, and thus far my explanations still appear to hit their target of your understanding, perhaps it truly is a language barrier. Jon.
Ernest, the first Cartier watches that had any relevance for the company were the ones made for men after Rudolph Valentino popularized them. Comparing Dior, Vuitton, and Hermes watches to Cartier borders on sacrilege. Please make valid factual comparisons or none at all (except if you specifically mention that they are of your opinion only).
I never compared watches. Of course Cartier watches are batter made than Dior ones (Vuitton makes quality watches).
Please make valid factual comparisons or none at all (except if you specifically mention that they are of your opinion only)
Please stop telling me what i have to do, all the more when you misunderstand what i said... For your information Cartier is not a reference for most of watch lovers. If you thought I was comparing Patek watches with Dior watches, I could understand "the sacrilege". Here i just used your logic on a larger scale to show you is was absurd = first hampton was for women SO  Hamptons are not  manly ? First Dior coats were for women SO all Dior coats are not manly ? First Hermes scarves were for was for women SO... Quartz movement are also finished by Cartier. The movement of a Tank is very poorly finished (ask youself why there is not saphir back on this watch). The basic auto movement of the Tank must be more expensive than the basic quartz of the Tank. But even if it is x times more expensive (for exemple quartz = 30 euros, auto = 120  euros), the final price of an auto E.T.A. quickly finished (by writting Cartier on it) remains cheap if you compare to the price of the watch (3 000 euros). And so saying = I wouldn't pay more than $1000 for a quartz watch is stupid if afterwards you don't follow the same logic for the auto Tank (which you seemed to consider as a MUCH BETTER purchase than the quartz one) or the B&M (which you only attack because of the lack of manliness and not because of it cheap movements). When a watch of $4000 has a movement of $50 or $150, the problem is the same = the watch is overpriced as you can find the same movement in $500 watches.
We will agree to disagree regarding the B&M, suffice to say I don't think the Cariter is less manly because of the cabochon topped crown. To me thicker does not equal "˜manly', after all the manly item would be the one that is stronger and made with more resistant materials, and Cariter uses better grade steel than B&M.
Cartier uses better steel? Where did you find this information? Why would a manly items be stronger? This is completly stupid = So ties are not manly because silk is fragile? Polyester ties are also  manlier than silk tie?  A steel watch with diamonds is  manlier than the same in white gold (as more fragile than steel)? A cashmere sweater is less manely than the same in cotton? And so on... How do you measure the resistance of the steel of 2 watches? Resistant to what? So a Diver from Seiko is more for women than a Panter of Cartier in steel (as their steel is less strong)? So as thickness is not important, nor is the size of the case, nor is the "jewelry details", WHAT IS IMPORTANT to say if a watch is manly ?
You seemed to have completely misunderstood the reason for my mentioning the quartz movement,
May be you could explain me the reason of this = "The Cartier Tank is a nice choice, but don't buy a $1000+ watch with a $5 quartz movement " This implies, you would buy a $4000 watch with a $120 auto movement? Does it sounds more logical ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads