• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Versatile Dress Shirts To Own?

jakeyt

Reaction score
Would you say white shirts, blue/light blue shirts are the most versatile?

What about pink, yellow dress shirts?

Or dress shirts with stripes?

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the most versatile, nothing can beat a White cut away collar shirt with button cuffs, even better if it is made from a patterned white fabric.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The most versatile are obviously plain white, plain light blue, and white with various arrangements of blue stripes.

After that light pastel colours are good; pink, yellow, orange, purple. The suitability of some of these depends on your skin tone though, yellow for example looks good on some people but does not look good on me.

I've found gingham is also surprisingly versatile if your style leans towards the slightly more casual (sportcoats rather than suits); my most worn shirt is a blue gingham one.

jakeyt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
The most versatile are obviously plain white, plain light blue, and white with various arrangements of blue stripes. After that light pastel colours are good; pink, yellow, orange, purple. The suitability of some of these depends on your skin tone though, yellow for example looks good on some people but does not look good on me. I've found gingham is also surprisingly versatile if your style leans towards the slightly more casual (sportcoats rather than suits); my most worn shirt is a blue gingham one.
I got blonde hair, blue eyes, medium complexion (bit more color in the face). Looking for a shirt I can wear with shorts, jeans and dressy. I naturally gravitate to blue and stripes of those. But I am interested in pastels more now...

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pale pink shirts are very versatile for those secure enough to not be put off by the fact that the colour is pink.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by add911_11
For the most versatile, nothing can beat a White cut away collar shirt

facepalm.gif

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, I find both the open neck and with tie look better with cut-away collar than regular spread.

bimmy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Pale pink shirts are very versatile for those secure enough to not be put off by the fact that the colour is pink.

+1

white, light blue, subtle pink, and yellow/gold are all excellent solids

chicks dig a dude who wears pink...just make sure it's not hot pink, lol

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In other words, for people who aren't idiots.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, I find both the open neck and with tie look better with cut-away collar than regular spread.

Thank you, it is because they spread and keep the clean look

jakeyt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
In other words, for people who aren't idiots.

Would you say pale pink or yellow could be casually worn?

If I were to get a third shirt (first two being white and blue) should it be another white or a colored one?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say pale pink be slightly safer than pale yellow as pale yellow can, depending on your complexion, make you appear sickly.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White shirts are for Waiters.

Stick with blue and lavender.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads