• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Velvet blazer query

dapperdondublin

Reaction score
Hello Gents,

I recently orderd some velvet fabrice for my tailor to make me a blazer from.
However; he has advised me that he cannot "press" the velbet without damaging the fabrice.
See video linked here: Velvet issue

Any idea how tailors can make velevet garments like blazers that require pressing?

Thanks in advance,

Darragh

notdos

Reaction score
They make velvet ironing pads, but generally, I believe that steaming is the preferred method.

notdos

Reaction score
I don’t know. However, I’ve seen a dry cleaner using a bust-shaped steamer that a jacket fit on. Just an uneducated guess.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jeez...you'd think he'd at least use a pressing cloth? Isn't that pretty standard for delicate fabrics?

dapperdondublin

Reaction score
Jeez...you'd think he'd at least use a pressing cloth? Isn't that pretty standard for delicate fabrics?
We tried putting some fabric over it why he ironed but it still did not seem right. Not sure if it was a pressing cloth specifically though.

Thingamajig

Reaction score
We tried putting some fabric over it why he ironed but it still did not seem right. Not sure if it was a pressing cloth specifically though.
Sometimes it is because of the pressure exerted on the cloth, not the issue of the "pressing cloth". I would suggest ironing it very lightly, just touching it and with steam, as you don't want to crush the fibers. After the garment is done, a brush is required to make everything look as it should. But this is how we handle in here anyways, I too am waiting for @Despos to see if the west handles it differently.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@Despos can you please share any advice you have? Much appreciated
Velvet is one of the top few cloths that are difficult to tailor.
Before you get to pressing you have to figure out how to sew velvet.
Put you finger on the nap and you see how unstable it is. With a little pressure you can't press the nap flat, it shifts. This happens when you try to sew two pieces together. Seams have to be basted by hand and I do two parallel basting stitches. One row of basting on each side of the seam to be sewn. This helps to keep the cloth in place. You have to pull the cloth tight from both sides of the machine needle to feed the cloth thru.
If you don't do these things the cloth shifts and you get uneven seams and crooked sewing lines.
Use cotton or silk thread and not polyester or poly coated threads.
Use a velvet board with the face of the cloth downward. Do this so you don't crush the nap.
Never touch the cloth with the iron and move the iron along the top of the cloth in one direction only; the direction of the nap. Could mark the cloth permanently if you don't. Be careful using steam because it can stain the cloth or create spotting. Press the seam open with your fingers and let it dry before moving on.
I don't make velvet coats, very difficult to make it look good. Cleaning a finished jacket, even more challenging.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads